PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else experience this? Beer for mom and dad while trick or treating?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-03-2008, 02:40 AM
My brother lives in wis. in lets just say one of the larger towns. They came down for the weekend and at my sisters hall. party commented that while trick or treating it's apparently common for the adult handing out the candy to offer mommy or daddy and adult beverage. Hmmmmm..... now I can kind of wrap my mind around it since it is wisconsion BUT I've gotta say my eyebrows did raise.

He even said something about apple cider with a whiskey option.

Does this really happen up there or was he pulling my leg?

MarisaSF
11-03-2008, 02:46 AM
I haven't seen beer handed out as a "treat," but in my neighborhood, it's common for parents to walk around with a bottle of beer on Hallowe'en. It's like a big block party!

ellies mom
11-03-2008, 03:08 AM
I haven't seen beer handed out as a "treat," but in my neighborhood, it's common for parents to walk around with a bottle of beer on Hallowe'en. It's like a big block party!

Yep, this has been my experience too. Although one of our neighbors did say he was passing gin and tonic later.

citymama
11-03-2008, 04:01 AM
We were given jello shots!

Puddy73
11-03-2008, 07:12 AM
People in these parts love to drink, but I've never heard of this! We have laws against open containers except in certain areas and for special events.

lilycat88
11-03-2008, 07:33 AM
One neighbor was sitting out in the driveway passing out candy while the beer chilled in a tub next to him. Another passed out hot apple cider....with or without apple schnapps.

heatherlynn
11-03-2008, 07:56 AM
We were given jello shots!

Do you live in my neighborhood?! I'm in Massachusetts. ;)

mariza
11-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Yes, I've gone to my friends neighborhood in the last couple of years and there was lots of adult beverage treats being handed out! She lives in a neighborhood where lots of the local police live and everyone pretty much knows each other so no worries about open container laws. As long as everyone was on foot and not in cars, it was ok. In my neighborhood this year we joined up with our neighbors and had a block party since we live on a small dark cul-de-sac. It was just easier that way and yes there were lots of adult treats available! Both neighborhoods are in MA btw.

AngelaS
11-03-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm in WI and we went T or T in a friend's neighborhood a couple years ago and they had spiked cider for the grownups too. :P

Sugar Magnolia
11-03-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm in Kansas and they hand out hot buttered rum. We live in a college town (a stones throw away from campus) and I always thought that was the reason for the adult drinks. I guess they do it all over!

mamicka
11-03-2008, 08:44 AM

I'm in WI & this is my experience. But I'm not surprised there are neighborhoods which hand-out adult "treats", WI or otherwise.

lizajane
11-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Trick-or-Beer!

yes, our former neighbor turned DH's best friend and our kids' Godfather introduced us to trick-or-beer.

LexyLou
11-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Like some of the others, I've never heard of it being passed out (that could get expensive!) but I have seen people walking around with a wagon-kid in one side, booze on the other.

Growing up in CA. The dads used to take us ToTing and would walk around drinking beers and charging us a candy fee at every corner. HA!

kijip
11-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Guess Seattle peeps are dull. Never, ever in all the neighborhoods I lived as a child or now that we take T out for ToT has anyone been passing out alcohol or even carrying it from home. I guess we are Lemonade Lucys. Of course this is the town that people stop and wait for red lights to turn green when they are the only car in sight at 3AM.

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Three Halloweeens ago two neighbors had a table set up between their houses. One was handing out beer, the other candy to the kids. This year, though, they had three houses together, but had a fire pit going and wine for themselves- only candy for the kids!

There are plenty of neighbors who sit outside drinking their own wine or beer, but no one offered any this year. There is one house that hands out hot choc. to the parents...that's more my speed!

Corie
11-03-2008, 09:50 AM

Yes, same here! We had a big group of kids and parents
walking around together. Many of the parents were walking
around with a bottle of beer. My husband included.

icunurse
11-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I think because the weather was so nice this year it brought out more people. We had many firepits going in the driveways with 3-4 families there, eating and drinking and handing out candy. One house had their kids garage band playing. We did see several people walking around with beers in their hands. At first, I was a bit taken aback, but then, as the night went on, I saw how everyone was viewing it as a big party. It was very friendly and probably one of the nicest Halloweens we have had.

Happy 2B mommy
11-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Our neighbor's garage is our "neighborhood bar". He has always had a beverage for the adults if they want it (beer, wine coolers, spiked cider one year). We call it "trick or drink". And, yup, we're in WI.

We usually don't drink in front of DD, but since our garages are so close (closer than the back part of our back yard), we have been known to take the baby monitor along after DD goes down and imbibe a bit. It also insures no pranks are pulled.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2008, 10:10 AM

Same here.

Beth

MontrealMum
11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, my dad used to hand out adult "treats" to the neighbors he was close to, which while employing a broad definition, was not everyone. And he walked around with a beer when taking me around. Both are probably illegal, but noone ever cared. Whenever I see those scenes of the dads drinking on the curb in King of the Hill, I think of my dad - the midwestern Hank Hill.

jk3
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Lots of drinking going on in our neighborhood on Halloween night. I was a bit surprised but it was a Friday night so some of the parents were in a festive mood. I did not partake this year but I would not be opposed to doing so at another point!

brittone2
11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Several neighbors sit out by firepits, etc. and indulge. This year was lame in my neighborhood (several families hit up a community ToT event downtown, so not as many people were around).

When we lived in PA, our neighbors across the street were from WI. One year they asked DH to pretend to ring jingle bells, etc. (I think this was on Christmas eve afternoon?) for their DS. They said part of their tradition in WI was to leave a beer out for Santa LOL. So they wanted DH to drink some of the beer they left outside on the porch for Santa (tough job ;) ) Those neighbors were ummm....a little odd overall...so I'm not sure if other people do this in WI or not. DH was a good sport and had fun doing it.

Edensmum
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
We sat on our porch and had wine/hard cider while handing out candy. It seems pretty common to a a drinking night for parents each place I have lived.

mom2binsd
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree here it IL it was 70 degrees, still light out at 6pm and lots of folks enjoying the Friday eve....nothing wrong with strolling with a beer or glass of wine in my books, there were a few driveway fire pits with a few families having a great time, nothing out of hand, just a good time...

MartiesMom2B
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
People just drink their own around here. I told one of my neighbors that next year I'd sit with her around her fire pit and drink wine with her instead of hauling the kids around.

KBecks
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I am in Wisconsin and have lived here my whole life and have never seen it. Although I'm sure it happens.

On my honeymoon, we visited Korbel in California (champagne and brandy). The bartender who was chatting us during a champagne tasting said that 1/2 of their warehouse is for Wisconsin, the other half was for everywhere else. I have seen brandy old fashioneds ordered enough to know this is true.

I like a good brandy slush a few times a year, but no Halloween drinking.

C99
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
It was too hot here to do it, but I was going to offer spiked hot cocoa to my neighbors and friends who stopped by our house to ToT w/ their kids.

alexsmommy
11-03-2008, 06:36 PM
It was too hot here to do it, but I was going to offer spiked hot cocoa to my neighbors and friends who stopped by our house to ToT w/ their kids.

Yep, who'd have thought "too hot" and "Chicago" would go hand in hand at Halloween? We were all betting it will be 38 and "snaining" (snow-rain mix) next year just to make up for it.

A lot of moms in our neighborhood had "coffee" - meaning spiked rum in coffee mugs. My neighbor handed me a skull cup with red wine and I - ahem - didn't want to be rude by turning her down and all... We said it was "blood" when asked. Many, many parents drinking various concoctions and beer, but I only saw alcohol being offered to people who were already friends while ToT. Many blocks were closed too this year so it was a lot of fun. We had a block party so by 6 the alcohol was definitely available.

lizajane
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Several neighbors sit out by firepits, etc. and indulge. This year was lame in my neighborhood (several families hit up a community ToT event downtown, so not as many people were around).

When we lived in PA, our neighbors across the street were from WI. One year they asked DH to pretend to ring jingle bells, etc. (I think this was on Christmas eve afternoon?) for their DS. They said part of their tradition in WI was to leave a beer out for Santa LOL. So they wanted DH to drink some of the beer they left outside on the porch for Santa (tough job ;) ) Those neighbors were ummm....a little odd overall...so I'm not sure if other people do this in WI or not. DH was a good sport and had fun doing it.

so... a large, heavy-set drunk man drives a sleigh and breaks into your home through your chimney...

how does this tie into no drinking and drinking and no letting strangers in the house lessons?

BEER FOR SANTA?

i don't know if i should :hysterical: or :47: .

s7714
11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
We're in Southern CA and 2 or 3 houses in our neighborhood have been offering adult "treats" the past 3+ years. You can usually tell which houses are doing it because there'll be a large group of people pausing on the sidewalk in front. The thought of accepting open beverages from complete strangers kind of gives me the willies though so I always decline.

CAM7
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Yep, it's not uncommon here in the upper midwest to hand out beers to the neighbors that you know when they bring the kiddos out... s'fun. :-)

vludmilla
11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm in the suburbs of NYC and I've never heard of this. There was no one handing out any beverages of any kind to the adults. I didn't even see anyone walking around with their own beer/drink.

Victoria

squimp
11-03-2008, 08:13 PM
You know that is a great idea. I did see some dads with beer in hands taking the kids. I would definitely take one!

Mamma2004
11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Without the time to read other responses, I'll affirm that here in Western Massachusetts we have several friends who hand out a very GENEROUS portion of Wild Turkey with every shot of cider! No one is forced to partake but to be honest, it warms me up on every chilly Halloween!

mytwosons
11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I grew up in the midwest. In our neighborhood, the dads took the kids ToT while the moms passed out the candy. We never got to go really far because we had to stop and go into every house where our parents' friends lived. I thought it was so the moms could "ooh and ahh" over our costumes and pull out the specially packaged bag of homemade treats with our names on them. It wasn't until I was in my 30s that I found out the dads each did a shot of beer at each stop.