PDA

View Full Version : Subcompact digital camera recommendations -- Bill?

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
One of the moms (the mom who showed up an hour early) had the cutest ultra-small PINK Sony camera (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10099833&catid=22474). So freakin' cute! Perfect size for a purse. She really likes it.

Consumer Reports recommends the Canon (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10099690&catid=20220).

I'm open to other recommendations, though it has to be small and preferably pink. I have a Canon XTi and Nikon7900 (so it must be smaller than the Nikon). I would possibly consider a non-pink camera if it had a super fast shutter speed.

Any thoughts? Bill???

Sorry, not sure if this should go in the Lounge or Around the House.... I've seen other camera posts here, so thought I"d try here.

TIA!

spirited
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I have the Canon SD1100 (I also have the xTi). I didn't look at the Sony you linked to when I was looking for a pocket cam. I've been happy with the SD1100 (have had it for about a month) - very tiny, picture quality is good for the size of the camera, and the video quality is also quite good. I like Canons, so I just looked into their subcompact options only and didn't research other brands.

luvmypeanut
11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I saw a friend from Japan this weekend and she had this Sony camera
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=NewsDesk_Internal&article_num=080808-2

It's super super thin. I myself have a Canon P&S. A lot of people prefer the Canons because the image quality is excellent and most natural. When I had a Sony 6 years ago I thought the color was a little washed out, but I haven't used a Sony recently so I'm not sure what the quality is like now. But the size of this particular Sony was amazing at barely larger than the width of a battery. It would fit in my evening bag and I can usually only fit a phone and lipgloss in that. I also like that it has 4GB of internal memory. I might get one for myself!

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm also a Canon fan - and we've had our blue SD1100 for a month also. Canons do not disappoint. and look... PINK at a great price!

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNPSSD1100P

I've ordered from this company many times over the years as a new SD Elph is the gift of choice in our family. They've been great. No idea about returns or shipping to CA.

Fairy
11-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Cannon, baby. Cannon is the way.

crazydiamond
11-03-2008, 01:21 PM
We have been Casio Exilim users for a long time. Good compact camera with excellent battery life and quick photo shooting.

We recently upgraded to the brand new Exilim EX-Z300. The main reason for the upgrade? HD video capabilities.

With our new daughter, we often had to juggle having both our canon video recorder and the casio digital camera. The old casio could take movies, but they were low quality. While I plan to continue to use our canon video recorder for somethings - it is nice to toss a little digital camera in the bag that can do double duty (pictures and HD video).

If we had not been long time Casio users, we might have gone for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K which also has HD video capabilities and seems to have good user feedback.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I was in love with my Nikon Cool Pix...til someone stole it. :32:

I am going to replace it with the exact same camera. Dh did the research for that camera and it fits my needs and abilities just fine!

Beth

BillK
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm all about our Sony DSC-H10 right now. I had bought a small Canon 870 pocket cam and ended up returning it.

The H10 is not a teeny tiny pocketable camera - but it's a lot smaller than our Nikon D50 (and just a bit bigger than a pocket cam) and as such gets a lot more use than our big old Nikon does.

I've finally decided there's not a teeny tiny pocket cam made that's gonna make me happy after using a DSLR. So far the Sony H10 has been the best compromise for us between giving up the speed (and weight) of our Nikon D50 for the size of the H10 and it's surprisingly fast performance (but still not as fast as a DSLR - but MUCH MUCH faster than any tiny pocket cam I've ever used).

Overall it's a lot better than any other non-DSLR I've used and I've tried the Panasonic FZ's, Canon 870, Canon Powershot S50, Canon SX100, Canon S5IS, Canon 1100, Sony W120, Fuji F40 and a few others.

Sorry it's not available in pink though. :(

Steve's Digicam's review of the H10: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/sony_h10.html

mom2binsd
11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I have an Exilim...it's idiot proof (I'm a techno idiot and even I can take great pics)...holds the charge forever and it now comes in two pinks colors...like this

http://www.nextag.com/Casio-Exilim-EX-Z77-557032842/prices-html

theCAS
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Another Canon fan. We just bought the SD890 and I love it. Small and takes great pictures.

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone!

I think the Canon might be the way to go for me. Bill, sorry, but that Sony you like/have is bigger than our small Nikon -- I need small and I *need* pink. LOL.

strollerqueen
11-04-2008, 12:53 AM
LOL, I was looking for red a couple of years ago, and wound up with a Sony. Pay attention to the MegaPixxels, too. When I got mine, it was 7.2, and that was considered excessive. Now, DD's school won't even accept picture submissions taken on anything less than 8 pixxels! I have been looking to upgrade, too. Let me know what you decide.

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Now, DD's school won't even accept picture submissions taken on anything less than 8 pixxels! I have been looking to upgrade, too. Let me know what you decide.

The SD1100 is 8MP. We love making videos on it and uploading them to our blog, Flickr, making movies on Windows Movie Maker. Just be sure to get a bigger SD card than the one that comes with it. We have a 2G card and I'm not sure we ever run out of space. We're OK about offloading things to the computer for storage, but not great.

spirited
11-04-2008, 11:03 AM
The SD1100 is 8MP. We love making videos on it and uploading them to our blog, Flickr, making movies on Windows Movie Maker. Just be sure to get a bigger SD card than the one that comes with it. We have a 2G card and I'm not sure we ever run out of space. We're OK about offloading things to the computer for storage, but not great.

The card that comes with it can take maybe 8-10 photos - I would recommend at least a 4G card (which you can get pretty cheap nowadays) if you plan on using the video feature on the SD1100. The video files are massive. 8G and 16G cards are not that expensive anymore either.