PDA

View Full Version : Grocery stores' scanning system not scanning "on sale" items

maylips
11-03-2008, 12:04 PM
First, let me b!tch in general about going to the grocery store. I hate that place.

To top it off, I REALLY hate it when I see prices on the display as a "special," only to have it scan the regular price.

Yesterday I was checking out and the bag of salad clearly had a "$1.00 special" sticker on the front. When it rang up, I was charged $3.69. So I mention it to the checker who of course was going so fast she wasn't even looking. So she stops, backs up to where it was scanned, and looks for 5 minutes for the item and what it rang up to be. I guess she didn't trust me that it scanned wrong.

But in the meantime, the people in line are giving ME dirty looks because I'm holding up the process! And I sympathize with them because I'm usually doing the same thing. But why are we made to feel guilty for wanting to save money, especially when it's not our fault?!

It was so awkward that I didn't have the guts to mention the italian bread was not actually $1.79, but .99 based on the display special. That would have required a bagger to go verify the price, holding up the line even longer, so I didn't even get into that fight.

But my main b!tch is, how often does this happen?!?! Probably a lot. Should we have to write down the price of everything we purchase to make sure we're not getting screwed, though? Who knows what else I was mis-charged for - I didn't remember 98% of the prices of what I bought enough to know as it was getting scanned.

This is when I have to agree with my grandparents when they rail about computers and how it's killed our society! :)

tylersmama
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
I know, it's SO annoying! I try to monitor it as they scan, but sometimes that's really difficult while keeping an eye on DS. I have been known to take my receipt back to customer service on occasion if the price difference was significant enough. I've also called them several times on not taking down the sale tag when it was expired. If the tag is still up, they have to honor the price whether or not the sale was over.

Seriously, the grocery stores make a killing off of these mistakes. I saw an article once about how much money people lose to prices scanning wrong, and while I can't remember how much it was, I do remember that it was ridiculous!

mommylamb
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I think they do it on purpose. Wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me...

JTsMom
11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't shop at a store that did that regularly- I'd be too annoyed. Having said that, some stores will give you the item for free if it scans wrong- Albertsons and Publix come to mind. They don't advertise it, but if you go to CS and specifically ask for the righ scan guarantee, they'll give it to you.

nfowife
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
This is so frustrating! Always happened to me at Kohl's....literally every time I shopped there. And the stores were usually such a mess with sales and whatnot that it would take the person forever to find the same item to price check. I hate this!

irie i
11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I find that the best thing to do is go ahead and pay for everything then go over the receipt. That way, before I leave the store I can head over to the customer service counter and have everything taken care of at once and won't miss anything. When I cannot remember the price I simply walk back to the product to check on it. I just did this last night...I picked up two cans of Blue Diamond Almonds because the sign said "buy one get one free." They charged me for both so I went to make sure they really were B1G1 which, thankfully, they were. Those are sooo good!

This happens to me a lot at Von's but it is the cleanest local store with the freshest produce, I get good deals there and the customer service is great so I take it with a grain of salt. I am understanding to human (and computer) errors. Most of the time I have issues with incorrect prices it is because the sales just started that day so they haven't had the opportunity to go through and change the prices on the computer for all products yet.

I definitely think you should mention something but preferably to customer service or a manager - that way they will be sure that the price is changed on that product and it will eliminate dozens of people after you waiting in line while prices are checked and changed.

PS: If it wasn't for computers this entire process would be much more painstakingly long. Cashiers would have to know or look up prices for so many things. You cannot rely on sticker prices on products because dishonest people take them and put lower prices on products.

Melaine
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I think they do it on purpose. Wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me...

I always wonder that too....I mean, clearly they aren't making a HUGE effort....

lisams
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
This is so frustrating! Always happened to me at Kohl's....literally every time I shopped there. And the stores were usually such a mess with sales and whatnot that it would take the person forever to find the same item to price check. I hate this!

This has happened to me many times at Kohl's as well. The last time I was there, the cashier even told me to keep an eye on the prices as she rang them up and to tell me if one didn't look right. Sounds like this is pretty common there. So frustrating.

lisams
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
It is so frustrating! I would suggest you go to the customer service counter and ask about what their policy is for when things ring up an incorrect price. Some stores will take $ off your total, some will give you the item free.

A while back one of our news stations went to several stores undercover to see how accurate their computers were in ringing up prices. I don't think there was one that had a 100% accuracy rate! I couldn't believe it.

It sure makes zipping in and out of the grocery store harder, that's for sure.

niccig
11-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Like the others I try to watch out for the prices as they scan them. I also check the receipt before leaving. Asking customer service is a good idea too. I shop at my local Vons, and they generally have extra staff, so it hasn't been too long to wait for a price check or a correction. My local Ralphs is another story, I hate shopping there - not enough check outs open, not enough staff.

irie i
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Like the others I try to watch out for the prices as they scan them. I also check the receipt before leaving. Asking customer service is a good idea too. I shop at my local Vons, and they generally have extra staff, so it hasn't been too long to wait for a price check or a correction. My local Ralphs is another story, I hate shopping there - not enough check outs open, not enough staff.

I see you live in CA too...hahaha...I hate the Ralph's too and apparently it's generally a "well known thing" that Ralph's is supposed to be better than Von's. Wonder if we are in the same area. I'm in Los Angeles.

DrSally
11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
It happens a lot. I think I saw a "study" on it on TV,some reporters went out and found a lot of things advertised as "on sale" rang up full price. Of course, the difference was always in favor of the store. It's hard to keep an eye on how the prices ring up when you're dealing with kids. I usually check my receipt at home, and then have to go to CS next time I go back if something rang up wrong. Sometimes, If no one's melting down, I can check it before I walk out the door. I hate having to bring frozen food up to CS--excuse me, this rang up wrong, and then have them take forever to go look it up. I'd rather, just get a refund, b/c I can't spend 15 min standing there. The bad thing is that many times, it's the sale sticker that gets me to put it in my cart in the first place! I totally understand your b#$ch