PDA

View Full Version : Resurfacing an old bath tub?

Carrots
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi there everyone,

Our house was built in the 1940's and we still have the original bathroom (new vanity and toilet, but tub and all tiles are original). The tile, which is black and white, is in great shape, but the tub needs attention. The floor surface of the tub is chipping and peeling.

I am not in the market to gut and redo the bathroom, but I would be intested in having the tub resurfaced/glazed. Has anyone ever done this before?

If so, were you happy with the results?
How long did the work take?
(I hope you don't mind me asking, but) What dollar range can I expect to pay?

Thanks!
Kristen

wolverine2
11-03-2008, 12:59 PM
We had our tub (and tile in the whole bathroom) reglazed when we moved in (couldn't afford to redo the bathroom). It looked amazing. The tub reglazing part was around $300. It was done on one day- it smells so you need to wait a bit to use it (we weren't in the house yet, so not sure how to do that if you only have one bathroom). We've had a couple of chips, and the tub requires some special care (like not using abrasive cleansers) but the chips are easily repairable, and even if we have to reglaze the whole thing again eventually, it's nothing compared to a bathroom renovation!

elliput
11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
If you are a DIY type, you can get a kit to re-glaze the tub at a home improvement store (Lowe's and Home Depot should have them). The glaze is a heavy duty enamal paint (very thick). I re-glazed a tub about 13 years ago and it was a fairly easy project.

HIU8
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
We wanted to do this as we have a tub that is that yucky goldenrod yellow color (house built in 1970). We ended up leaving it as is for now. I remember being told and reading somewhere that the paint was toxic for children???? This was about 4 years ago, so I don't know if I am remembering it correctly or not.

mmama
11-03-2008, 04:50 PM
We glazed our tub two years ago when we renovated the bathroom so it would match the color of the tiles. It looked good for about a year. Then the paint started peeling all around the drain area. Now the peeling has spread. We need to get it reglazed and I'm not happy about it. I don't remember it smelling that bad, but the company used a tube to vent from the bathroom through an outside window. Bottom line though, our tub was in great condition before we did this. Since your tub is already peeling, I'd give it a try. If the reglazing doesn't work then you can always buy the new tub then.

I think we paid around $150-$200 two years ago.

wolverine2
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
If you are a DIY type, you can get a kit to re-glaze the tub at a home improvement store (Lowe's and Home Depot should have them). The glaze is a heavy duty enamal paint (very thick). I re-glazed a tub about 13 years ago and it was a fairly easy project.

My brother did his recently himself, and it looks good. (Not as good as ours though- that money had to be worth something! :))

ThreeofUs
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
We glazed our tub two years ago when we renovated the bathroom so it would match the color of the tiles. It looked good for about a year. Then the paint started peeling all around the drain area. Now the peeling has spread.

Exactly! Unless you get someone good, this is what happens. Talk to a plumber you trust about who does good tub re-glazings. S/he will be able to steer you to a business that does a good, lasting job.

Happy 2B mommy
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I used to work for Kohler Company, (a large toilet/sink/tub manufacturer) in their customer service dept. Reglazing usually only looks good for a year or two before there is chipping and peeling. Also, most of those older, cast iron tubs were enameled with lead-based powders. Because of that, I would strongly recommend getting an acrylic coverup. (Like rebath, or something) It will cost more than a reglaze, but you will be money ahead in the long run AND you no longer need to worry about the lead of the original finish chipping/flaking off.

Carrots
11-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Also, most of those older, cast iron tubs were enameled with lead-based powders.

I never even thought of this! Thanks for bringing this up!

I talked to my plumber about reglazing when we first bought the house. He didn't recommend it, said he could give me the name of a refinisher that he had worked with before. I never got the name of the guy.

If I did an insert over the tub, do I have to cover the walls too?

Happy 2B mommy
11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I never even thought of this! Thanks for bringing this up!

I talked to my plumber about reglazing when we first bought the house. He didn't recommend it, said he could give me the name of a refinisher that he had worked with before. I never got the name of the guy.

If I did an insert over the tub, do I have to cover the walls too?

No, I don't think so. I've seen just the tub done and it looks fine as long as the whites of the tile and the insert match. If the tile is in good condition, I'd keep it --esp the black and white, as I think it looks classy and will keep the vintage look.