PDA

View Full Version : Did you go early or late with your first DC?

swrc00
11-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I am thinking I am looking for a little sanity. Today is my due date and my maternity leave began today. I wanted to work until I delivered, but do to some issues that didn't happen. I just don't know what to do with myself. I will be induced on the 11th if I don't deliver before then.

mommylamb
11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I went one week early. I finished work one week before my due date, and I was truly home for less than an hour (after having battled traffic for an hour to get there... a real pain when you have to pee every 10 minutes) and my water broke. I gave birth at 10 am the next day, so perfect timing for me.

Best of luck with yours!! I can imagine being concerned about "wasting" maternity leave when you don't have the baby yet, especially if you have only a short time off.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I think that the best advice I got when pg with ds1 was to mentally move your EDD back 2 weeks. That way, if the EDD comes and goes you aren't disappointed. If baby comes before 42 weeks then it is a happy surprise. :) Also, always schedule something fun for your EDD, like a pedicure or dinner, so you have something else to look forward to.

Ds1 came at exactly 42 weeks.

ETA- ds2 came at around 10 days late, maybe a bit more/ maybe a bit less. Dates weren't 100%.

Beth

HIU8
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
With both DS and DD I went into labor at 38 weeks and 1 day. So, if I ever have another I would expect to go into labor around 38 weeks since that has been my track record so far. I was working when PG with DS and he was born the saturday immediately following Thanksgiving, so I was already off for Thanksgiving vacation. With DD I was not working. However, before DS and DD I was madly cleaning the house and their things and getting things ready (sometimes over and over again). Personally, if I were in your situation I would just be resting now and keeping busy with last minute things to get ready for baby. I believe my OB told me that full term was considered anywhere from 38-42 weeks.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Basically, right on time. OB said most first timers go late, so I was expecting a wait - a time to chill out and relax and read. Hope all goes well if you do or don't get to read this thread all the way to the end... Let us know how it goes!

Have you done your birth announcements yet? Written Thank You notes? Figured out which online photo sharing site you'll be using? Drafted "THE email" to send out?

KpbS
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Exactly on DS1's due date. I worked the day before and if I would have known he was coming then I would probably have taken a couple of days off. Enjoy yourself--rest/relax :)

jk3
11-03-2008, 02:15 PM
5 weeks early w/ #1. 2 weeks early w/#2.

Emmas Mom
11-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Both girls were exactly 4 days before my EDD. I agree you should try to keep yourself as busy as possible. I know it's so hard not to think about but you'll be so busy once the little one arrives it helps to have as much done ahead of time as possible. Of course by the time I hit 37 weeks I started cursing each of them & telling the little freeloaders to "get out"! lol ;)

elektra
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I was planning on working up until my due date too, but DD decided to come a little over a week early. So I did not get that last week in.
So it's great that you were probably able to get all your projects done, do all your hand-off meetings, etc. which I wish I would have had a chance to do but didn't. (I mean everyone survived but it would have been nice to make that clean break.) So I know you probably didn't want to "waste" your maternity leave days but you are really in a good spot, IMO.
Go to the movies! Go get a pedicure! Go meet your DH or a friend for lunch. It will be hard to do these things after baby comes.
Sounds like you only have about a week max left if you are going to be induced by the 11th.

maestramommy
11-03-2008, 02:22 PM
First one, 9 days early. 2nd one, 7 days early. Mine just don't like to hang around;)

Hope your baby comes very soon!

brittone2
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
6 days early with DS (my first). I was dilated and effaced for *weeks* but didn't go into labor until 6 days before.

DD was 2 days post my EDD. DH and I went out to dinner the night before, and then to a local art exhibit on "birth" (birth poetry, birth photos, belly casts, etc). I figured the birth energy would help LOL. I went into labor the following evening and DD was born just after midnight.

Hang in there. Get some extra sleep, focus on some projects, etc.

My grandfather used to tell my mom (who went 11 days post dates with me) that "when the apple's ripe, it'll fall" LOL. (she had 2 or 3 false alarms while pg with me and was anxious to get it over with!).

hillview
11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
On time arrival (1 day before due date).
/hillary

C99
11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
My first was 5 weeks early. My third was born 36 hours before my EDD.

almostmom
11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Both were born on their due dates!

SASM
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
A week and a half late with 72 SLEEPLESS hours! Needless to say, I WAS DRAINED. If this should happen to you, REFUSE to leave the hospital. I went into the hospital in the AM after my first night of contractions and they sent me home. I went to the OB office the next day incredibly uncomfortable, had them strip my membranes, and they sent me home...nothing The third day I went into the hospital and refused to leave. I demanded to have them do something at that point b/c I couldn't take a 4th night of no sleep and contant, albiet irregular, contractions. They gave me morphine and zestril for pain relief and sleep, broke my water, I walked around for a while, got my epidural, and then the labor finally started to progress! DC#2 started the same way, with very uncomfortable irregular contractions, but she was born the next day, thankfully, 1 day after her EDD. I was induced for DC#3 on her EDD.

Good luck!

citymama
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
DD was born 11 days after her due date! I did not have to be induced, but the midwife did something called sweeping the membranes (I think that's what it was called) to move things along, and it did. The last week drove me nuts - not physical discomfort, but the anticipation and most of all, the endless calls from people "So where's the baby?" Arrrgh.

But of course, on day 12, I had forgotten all about that temporary angst - holding my sweet baby in my arms!

cuca_
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
One week early with DD1.

wendibird22
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM
9 days after EDD after being induced. I'm convinced she's still be in there if they let her!

Gena
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
DS was born 10 days late and labor was induced. I told everyone I was going to be an 80 year old woman with a 50 year old fetus. Now we usually say that DS wasn't born, he was evicted.

willow33
11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
DS#1 came 10 days late - water broke, but needed pitocin to start labor

DS#2 came 7 days late on his own

I'm really hoping #3 comes early or even on the due date :)

Good luck to you!!

theCAS
11-03-2008, 03:16 PM
11 days early. My water broke at 3:00AM Sunday morning and DD was born 37 hours later on Labor Day. They started Petocin when I checked in Sunday morning and I never progressed beyond 1cm, so they put me on Cervadil (sp?) for the night and started me on Petocin again Monday morning. By 2:00pm I still had not progressed beyond 1cm so the decision was made to have a c-section and she was born 2 hours later. Talk about major boredom ... lying in a hospital bed for basically 2 straight days. Thankfully, I wasn't in much pain as I never really went into labor.

Apparently she was very cozy and just not ready to leave the womb.

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Both of mine were born at 38 weeks. Who knows what this kiddo will do, but I'm pretty sure I won't make it to 40 this time either, esp if I have to have another c/s.

GL!

mecawa
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I went two weeks and one day early, with DD #1.

jerigirl
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
6 weeks early with DS. I went into work and gave my 1 month's notice of quitting my job to stay home with the baby, and by 10 am that same day I lost my plug and started getting crampy. My OB had me to come into the office to check things out and sent me over to the hospital to check in. He knew that I had given notice at work and said "As of today you are officially retired!" My labor was held off for 3 days but DS was ready! So my 1 month's notice turned into about 3 hours notice!

nfowife
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I was 5 days past due with my first, and 4 days past due with my 2nd. Needless to say, if we go for a 3rd, I will mentally push my due date back a week so I don't get too anxious! It's hard, but hang in there. Baby will come out when they are good and cooked!

Nyfeara
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Dr wrote me out of work 2 wks before my EDD. I was so happy about this. I could barely drive myself to work, my belly was touching the steering wheel and I had to walk 10-15 minutes from the parking lot to my building. I was miserable at work.

My water broke 2 days before my EDD and he was delivered via c-section (due to being breach) 1 day before.

megv
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
DS1 was 8 days late - with a little help from castor oil. It was horrible though, and I would not recommend it! Took the castor oil Sunday night at 11, irreg ctx all night, then they spaced out during the day. Monday night reg ctx from 11pm until he finally arrived at 3pm the next afternoon (with no pain medicine! yeah me!)

DS2 was 5 days late. Irreg ctx for a week, then finally wound up with a 3 hr labor once he decided he was ready. Much much nicer and faster than DS1 - thank goodness!

My babies are just too comfy inside!

MamaMolly
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM
DD came 4 weeks early. I recommend eating 2 slices of Dunkin Hines chocolate cake. ;)

swrc00
11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I swore I would not do the castor oil thing, but I like the chocolate cake idea!

Happy 2B mommy
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Ummmmmm, 12 days past my EDD. They were going to induce once I hit 42 weeks.

Nooknookmom
11-03-2008, 05:55 PM
DD1=2 months PTL but kept her in until 39 weeks.
DD2=4 weeks early.

Guess my "baby oven" cooks fast ;)

jerigirl
11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Guess my "baby oven" cooks fast ;)

In my family we say that we just cook at higher temperatures. :D Myself, my mom, sis, aunts all went about 2-6 weeks early.

tylersmama
11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I was 11 days late. And they still had to evict the little stinker! He was due on May 19, and they induced me the evening of the 29th. My OB promised me I wouldn't have a June baby! :p Never had a contraction on my own...

Hang in there...I know how boring it is to sit around waiting because you're done working. I downloaded Jewel Quest from the MSN games and played a LOT of it! :D

carolinamama
11-03-2008, 07:20 PM
DS1 was 38 weeks. DS2 was born at 41 weeks after an induction. He was 11 lbs 3 oz so I'd hate to have waited for him to come on his own. Funny, with ds1 I was prepared to go late as 1st babies are often late. With DS2 I was thinking it would be early as DS1 was. You just never know I guess.

Cam&Clay
11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
5 weeks early w/ #1. 2 weeks early w/#2.

Exactly the same for me!

Susan
DS1 age 10 years
DS2 age 10 months
**Yes, I am clinically insane.

niccig
11-03-2008, 07:55 PM
DS was 8 days late. Then he was born on Christmas Day. Sigh, sorry kiddo but YOU were late, it's not my fault.

mommyp
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
4 days early here. I have two friends who went 10-12 days late. I know it is hard to wait, but try to relax and get some sleep in! BTW, I heard pizza works. I forgot that someone told me that and we did have pizza the night before DD was born....

elephantmeg
11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
induced finally at 41 weeks for low fluid. I worked on my due date and the day after and the day after. lol. I was carrying small so people kept asking me when I was due and couldn't believe it when I said "last monday".

saschalicks
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Both boys came the exact same day in pregnancy at 37 weeks 6 days. I even counted when that is on the calendar for this one so I'm prepared for that to be the EDD. However, my c-section will still be planned for 39 weeks.

mamicka
11-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I was late 3x.