PDA

View Full Version : Do you plan on taking your DC with you to vote?

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
If so, do you have a plan for what time you will go? How long will you wait? What will you bring to distract/occupy them?

I am plannig on taking the kids. For the past week, every time I drive by my polling location, DS points and says, "That's where we're going to vote, Mommy." There's no way I could go without him!

I'm planning on going around 9 or 10, hoping that the morning rush is out and on their way to work and I'll get in before the lunch crowd. I have no idea what it will be like, though- we didn't have early voting here!

DH has said if it's really long he'll leave work and come get the kids so I can stay in line, so I guess that's my plan. I am NOT walking away without voting!

I guess I'll bring snacks, books, magnadoodle, markers/paper...any other great ideas? Oh...I'll bring the portable DVD player!

What are your voting plans?

jk3
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
We're voting at some point after lunch. I *might* bring my oldest but last time the election workers would not let him come into the booth with me so it might not be worth the aggravation if there's a wait.

kayte
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I found my early voting location to have to the shortest lines at around 2-3 pm--when most are at work and SAHMs are in carpool lines.

HTH

elektra
11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I would dread having to bring DD and wait. She would hate it. Luckily she will be with her babysitter (who doesn't vote because it's against her religion - weird, right?) and I am just going to take time off work during the day to vote.

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I found my early voting location to have to the shortest lines at around 2-3 pm--when most are at work and SAHMs are in carpool lines.

HTH

Our schools are closed tomorrow...but maybe little ones will be napping around that time. Hmmm...

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I would dread having to bring DD and wait. She would hate it. Luckily she will be with her babysitter (who doesn't vote because it's against her religion - weird, right?) and I am just going to take time off work during the day to vote.

My friend had suggested to a kid swap, but then when I brought it up today (I figured she could just keep DD for me) she said her DH was taking the day off, so she wouldn't need to do that. Grr...couldn't you still help me out and watch DD?!?!?

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
We're voting at some point after lunch. I *might* bring my oldest but last time the election workers would not let him come into the booth with me so it might not be worth the aggravation if there's a wait.

I had been wondering if ds1 would be allowed to come with me or not. It's a tiny little space so even if he is across the room it is no biggie. We don't have booths anymore so he will be in sight the whole time.

Beth

maestramommy
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I may have to, if I can't do it at 7am. So then I'll probably go mid-morning, which is the best time for the kids. I'm bringing a ton of snacks and a couple of books. Hopefully the lines won't be too long!

carolinamama
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
We did early voting on Saturday afternoon and took both dcs. It wasn't bad but since it was early voting we went to the smallish town next to us and waited about 20 minutes. That doesn't help you, but I would think 2-3 would be the best time.

For ds1, we took a few books, paper, pens, and a lollipop. The only thing that got any use was the lollipop. He was so excited to have one and kept telling people that he had a lollipop and it was YUM. DS liked the experience and even if he didn't understand the whole nature of voting, I think it was good for him to see us go vote. He did very well with the whole thing.

Ceepa
11-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm hauling DC with me. I'm mentally preparing for the outing as if we're going to the airport: Know it'll be a long wait. Bring a bag of snacks and things to keep them occupied. Talk it up beforehand so they at least have an idea what we're doing there. Just assume at some point it's going to "go bad" as they get bored and tired and fussy and deal with it accordingly. LOLOL

Nooknookmom
11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Yup, I've taken DD1 (13) since she was 5 yo & I'll take little DD with me too. She loved the "I voted" sticker from the primary's.

My parents NEVER took me to the polls & I swear I never knew that they even voted.

Therefore I didn't become involved until my mid 20's. I want to make sure that my kids know about the privilege and responsiblity of voting from an early age!

lisams
11-03-2008, 04:16 PM
No, we sent in our early ballots. Yay for easy voting!

katerinasmom
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Either I or my husband will take our 4 year old with us to vote. She's been learning about the election and the whole concept of voting in her Pre-K class. It really is amazing how much she knows and understands about the whole process. Her Pre-K teacher actually encouraged us to bring our kids with us to vote. She usually takes the kids to the polling site just to see everything that they've talked about actually happening. However, for the safety of the kids the principal closed the school this year because this is such a high profile election with a historic turnout predicted. So since she can't take them down she's encouraged us to do so. I'm excited. I remember my mom letting me pull the lever after she cast her ballots when I was small.

KBecks
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
There is not usually a long wait, although I now have 2 more kids than 4 years ago. I may go alone, but I love taking them.

giavila
11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I have no choice. They are both coming with me. I know my 4 year old will be fine if I just bring her Leapster to keep her busy. It will be very hard to keep my 2 year old happy if we have to wait a long time.. I'm crossing my fingers. I plan on going after lunch at around 1:30.

AngelaS
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I will most likely be taking all three of mine. I'm hoping sometime mid morning won't be terribly busy.

brittone2
11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
We voted early. DH voted on his own at a precinct near his university (during early voting we can vote here in NC at any precinct in our county). He came home and we hit one of the early voting sites that was open into the evening (most are only open until 4pm during the week which is IMO kind of sad). We walked right in and voted. DH held onto both kids. No line.

We've been canvassing and brought the kids out with us one afternoon. DD hates the car so it wasn't particularly fun, but DS seemed to enjoy the process and we had some interesting discussions as a result. In subsequent weeks we had the grandparents babysit.

JBaxter
11-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Last election I had serveral people I wanted to vote for specifically ( local election) Several I didnt care about so I let Nathan pick. They have me no problem about taking him and gave me a voting booth I could sit down in. Im planning on taking Jack with me while Nathan is in preschool. I think Connor wants to go too they have the day off school because our county in Maryland uses schools as poling places.

sidmand
11-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm going with another Mom. We're (hopefully) going to be able to at least keep an eye on each other's kids while one person votes. I hope it works!

Otherwise it wouldn't have even occurred to me to try and take DS anyway. But he has no school so we have to keep ourselves occupied anyway.

annasmom
11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Definitely taking my 2 oldest, at least. They are very excited.

My MOMS Club is doing a day-long playdate/babysitting exchange so that moms can get to the polls without the kids.

rlu
11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
We've taken DS every time so far. Last year we got smart and signed up for absentee ballot. We fill it out before hand and then hand over at the polling place. This way we can complete the ballot while DS sleeps tonight, and then he goes with us when we hand it over. We haven't had problems with long lines before, but this time could be different. We're voting at the school he will go to next year, so hopefully that novelty plus a few vehicles will help bide the time. As for timing, we'll head out around 9am or so. I'll have DH drive by the polling place on his way home from his breakfast meeting to see if we should wait for a while or not. Only deadline for us is DS preK starts at 1pm.

kijip
11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
We voted by mail. Toby helped us fill out our ballots and read them with us. He then made his own ballot and pretended to vote. His elections were a bit different than the ones on our ballot however. His bear, Mr. Acrit Olive Fing Bear, was running for President on his ballot. ;)

tylersmama
11-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I voted by mail, but took DS with me to drop off my ballot at an early voting location and save myself the stamps. :p There was no wait to drop it off, obviously, and I let DS drop the ballot in the slot (which he loved). He was also very excited to receive TWO stickers from the very nice senior citizen poll worker. :)

mamicka
11-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I voted early & took the 2 younger ones with. I was the only one there & the old ladies working there watched the kids so I could focus. It was a very small ballot though so it didn't take long. I'm used to having really long ballots in CO so that part was weird. I kept turning it over looking for the rest of it & had to ask to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Happy 2B mommy
11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
No. DD is almost 2 and has daycare on Tues mornings. However, I am going with DH. We will go out to breakfast and then vote. It's a DATE for us! (gosh, we're geeks)

mecawa
11-03-2008, 10:26 PM
We've taken her in the past but I've decided (because we have a very busy day tomorrow on top of voting) to go right after I drop her off at school.

tnrnchick74
11-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I voted 2 weeks ago in early voting. Back then, the lines were not that long and I was with my Mom or Aunt. We took turns holding my DS, and he was allowed to come into the "nook" with me while I voted. The guy at the door even gave me an extra sticker for his baby book! I think its important for all children to have access to see the political process from the grass roots, even if they are only 5 months old!

ETA - I brought my sample ballot with me, so I wouldn't accidentally make a mistake and vote for something I didn't want! Having my DS with me was a small distraction to reading the ballot. If I hadn't been prepared ahead of time it would have been very difficult.

KrisM
11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Sure wish we had early voting here! And, I don't qualify to do absentee. So, all 3 are coming with me.

I do wish it were easier to vote absentee. It might be easier to leave home for 11 hours than to stand in line for an hour with 3 kids :).

elliput
11-03-2008, 11:24 PM
DH and I are staggering our voting times so that we don't have to worry about the kids. He is going first thing before work, and then I will go in mid-afternoon once he is home. I may take DS with me since he is still very portable.

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 11:40 PM
We've always taken the girls with us to vote. Then again, b/c we've had a string of minority gov'ts here in Canada in the last few years, they've had a LOT of voting experience. DD#1 got quite into it this last election and wanted to stay up to see the results. She kept asking if we won, LOL.

I can't imagine waiting in line to vote. I'm honestly not sure I'd bother. I had to wait 2 minutes or so this last time and I was annoyed at even that much of a wait. I'm used to walking into the station and walking right up to vote with no wait at all. I like the idea of mail in voting. 11 hours in line, not so much.

KpbS
11-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Just the baby--he'll be amused w/ all the people watching to be had.

hez
11-04-2008, 12:38 AM
They'll both be with me. I'm aiming for 10:30ish-- DH might be able to meet me then. I think I waited for 30 minutes 4 years ago, but that was after work, so I expect it to be shorter this year. I'll probably let DS bring his Leapster, but after "voting" in kindergarten today, I expect him to be pretty interested in the whole thing tomorrow.

I remember voting with my parents-- I'd like our kids to think it's just something adults do, which is how I always thought about it. You turn 18, you vote.

Wife_and_mommy
11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
We went this morning as a family. The line was about a 30 minute wait which is longer than DH has ever waited. IT went quickly, IMO. The kids were still half asleep so didn't really need occupying. They people watched, we talked about voting, and greeted the neighbors we saw.

mommylamb
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Not this year because DS is too young to deal with the wait, but too old to just sit in a stroller... I voted early this year, but there was still a 45 minute wait. I can't wait to take him next time though. I always vote, even in off year elections for local seats (plus in Virginia, our Governor is elected on an off year) so I'll take him next year.

Melaine
11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
DH is coming home from work after lunch and we will both go with the two two year olds in tow.....I am not looking forward to it. IT'S RAINING too, and they have been really crabby and not taking to the time change well. I have to admit I am not looking forward to this. I guess I will take the doodle pros, some snacks, and maybe some books they haven't seen I guess. I am debating over whether to put them in the stroller or not....I can't wait until this whole election is over.

Melaine
11-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Wow if we only have to wait 30 minutes I will be thrilled....I'm dreading a much longer line.

KHF
11-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I went this morning, our polls opened at 6:00, I was there at 5:45 and there were about 50 people in front of me. I called DH and told him he'd better come on down. He brought DD, so she waited with him in line (about 50 people behind me) until I voted, then I got her and took her to daycare. Today is Bring Your Favorite Stuffed Animal day at her school, so when I went back to get her from DH. He had DD in one arm and Big Bunny in the other. (Big Bunny is a 3 foot tall rabbit...hee. He's a good dad.)

almostmom
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Before school and work, and the line was minimal. We brought books, and they were in warm clothes, but it was quick. And when it was over, my son looked at me and said, "That's it? but I didn't get to meet Obama." I told him he was in Chicago, and maybe someday he could meet him, and he wanted to know when we could go. So sweet!

octmom
11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
DH and I took both kids before work this morning at around 7:40. we didn't have to wait at all, but some of my colleagues had long lines at their polling places. I took DS in with me and let him press the "Cast Your Ballot" button (after we selected our candidates of choice) and DH did the same with DD. Both kids were very excited about it. The poll workers gave both of them "I Voted" stickers. DH said that DS was excitedly telling everyone who he voted for when he dropped the kids off at preschool. :lol:

LarsMal
11-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Before school and work, and the line was minimal. We brought books, and they were in warm clothes, but it was quick. And when it was over, my son looked at me and said, "That's it? but I didn't get to meet Obama." I told him he was in Chicago, and maybe someday he could meet him, and he wanted to know when we could go. So sweet!

That's what happened to us when I voted in the primaries. DS thought we were going to see Obama, and when he realized he wasn't, he had a MAJOR meltdown in the school gym. He was on the floor crying, "OOOOOBBBAAAMMMMAA...Obama's house...!" It was so sad!

He understood better today.

No wait for me! It took longer to walk from the parking lot to the school than it did to vote. DH said he waited 45 minutes at 7AM. I went at 10:30. Steady flow of people in and out, but there were 7 booths- only three votes- so it moved very very quickly.

I was a little nervous about it, but almost everyone at Target and the grocery store had stickers on so that made me feel better! (It's raining here today- yuck!)

caleymama
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
DH and I took both DDs with us at about 10am this morning. No wait to speak of. There were 3 people ahead of us at the table for our district, but no one at any of the other district's tables. We were in and out.

Older DD (6) has been just fascinated by the whole process, especially after she got to vote both on a ballot and in a voting booth a few weeks ago at her school's presidential election. She was following along on the mock ballot today and helped me pull the lever to cast my vote. :love-retry: