PDA

View Full Version : Protocol for baptisms

Tinkerbell313
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
We just received an invitation (very nice one) for a neighbor's grandchild who will be baptized at the end of the month. The invite is to the baptisim at the church and/or reception following at our neighbors house. We have never met the parents or the child (born in the beginning of 2008). We aren't close friends with the neighbors but are invited to a number of their functions and if we do not have a prior commitment are always glad to go to their house. We plan on attending as we feel they invited us to celebrate an important part of their lives (grandpa is an methodist minister and its at his church) as well as their grandchild's life.

My question...do we bring a gift? Sounds strange, but different parts of the country celebrate in different ways. We had our children down here in Virginia (northern) but never sent out invites/announced their baptisims. We are not from Virignia originially and quite frankly, don't remember the last time we attended a baptism.

lizajane
11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
i do not remember my nephew receiving any gifts at his baptism in VA last year. and we did not receive any at our DS's either in NC. (sigh, we still haven't baptized DS2.)

buddyleebaby
11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I always give something.

AmyZ
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I realize you don't know the family well, but these are great gifts, at a great price. I've ordered a zillion blocks as gifts and people love them!

http://www.craftefamily.com/craft/block_baptism.asp

elephantmeg
11-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I would. A religious gift is nice. I like those blocks!

ZeeBaby
11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
when we baptised DD, she received gifts. Some people gave religious gifts, others handcrafted gifts, some cash and she received a giftcard.

Jen841
11-03-2008, 09:19 PM
I would bring something. Easy things to get your hands on and I would not consider too personal...
Noah's Ark anything (puzzle, book)
Books - My personal favorite is Hot Dogs, Mac and Cheese, Hot Dogs and Peas

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I would bring something. Easy things to get your hands on and I would not consider too personal...
Noah's Ark anything (puzzle, book)
Books - My personal favorite is Hot Dogs, Mac and Cheese, Hot Dogs and Peas

ITA! I am in DC area, most people around here bring something as a gift. It can be small and not personal. Books, outfit, small cross for the wall, etc. Family Bookstores are a good place to look in person.

mecawa
11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
We always give gifts for a Baptism, and have received them as well. I am from MA and I didn't know it was different for different parts of the country, that's interesting!!!! Usually we give/receive money, savings bonds, jewelry, small religous type gifts, engraved specialty gifts (silver cups, rattles, etc.)

MamaMolly
11-04-2008, 12:07 AM
We live in VA and DD was baptized in GA. She got checks from a few folks, but my favorite gifts were a hand crocheted blanket from the ladies of the church where we held it (my step moms!) and a Baby's First Book of Prayers.

DD calls the book her Amens book and will often take it to bed to 'read'. It is so sweet. I think she likes the pictures and the little rhymes on each page.

My mom gave her a little bracelet which is sweet but she really doesn't wear it. (clashes with the MedicAlert ;) )

I LURVE those blocks and plan to keep them in mind. What a cute keepsake! I'd either do a book or a block.

Tinkerbell313
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks...I fell in love with the wooden blocks. Maybe one of those along with a book in a nice gift bag.

Thank you so much for the ideas.

MontrealMum
11-04-2008, 12:25 AM
We haven't been invited to all that many, but we do give gifts, and received gifts for DS. But, and maybe I misread your post, I'm a little confused as to why these people invited you? In my circle baptisms are part of the regular church service, not spectator events (I'm not trying to offend, these are not my words, but our minister's, and the instructional video we were given to watch). Certainly, the only people there are family, close friends, and other church members attending the regular service. Maybe it differs by church - though the Catholic baptisms (which were private) that I've attended for family have been very small and intimate as well. Did you not say that you haven't even met these people? I think it's a little presumptuous on their part, JMHO. It may just be them being welcoming of you, I don't know your specific situation, and as you said, maybe it's cultural or regional, but if it were me I'd feel a bit odd about it.

new_mommy25
11-04-2008, 12:32 AM
I would bring a very small gift. If you're not comfortable with that you could bring something for the host.

theCAS
11-04-2008, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=MontrealMum]In my circle baptisms are part of the regular church service, not spectator events (I'm not trying to offend, these are not my words, but our minister's, and the instructional video we were given to watch). Certainly, the only people there are family, close friends, and other church members attending the regular service. Maybe it differs by church - though the Catholic baptisms (which were private) that I've attended for family have been very small and intimate as well. QUOTE]

I agree 100% (and also do not want to offend). I, personally, would never think to include people besides family and maybe close friends. We are Catholic and our parish celebrates Baptisms during the regular Mass times on a specific weekend each month so I've technically "attended" hundreds of Baptisms. However, my nephews Baptisms (SIL's sons') were Baptised in a private ceremony after the Mass so it varies from parish to parish.

However, I realize this is not the point of your post. If you do feel like you need to go, although, I wouldn't if I were you I think a gift is appropriate. I usually do something along religious lines - a frame, cross for baby's nursery, etc ... and I do love those blocks. I'll have to remember that.

amldaley
11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
We just has dd christened three weeks ago. We did not expect gifts except from closest family. People gave anyway. Mostly baby stuff (which I thought was odd) and money.

The gifts I appreciated most were a little engraved christenstening themed frame and a knitted blanket. Would have ioved more relgious or spiritual themed gifts. There are some nice spiritual themed books out there.

Hit a Christian book and gift shop and don't spend too much. I was embarrassed when neighbors gave us $25 checks.