PDA

View Full Version : Can someone compare the LE LT and the Travel Touring Bag in Small?

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I am wondering how they compare. I have the LLBean Diaper Bag (same as the Large touring bag) and the LE LT. My mom really liked the LT for a purse when she saw it. I am thinking of getting her one of these bags for Christmas with a nice water bottle (Sigg or Klean Kanteen) and wondered how the small bag compared. The large Touring is definitely too large for her. Does anyone have any pictures of the 2 bags side by side? Pros and cons of each as a purse?

TIA

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I have both a LT and a LLB bag that I'm not sure is a touring bag or a diaper bag. I got it at the thrift shop for $2-3. It only has one bottle holder on it and there was no changing pad in it. It is similar in size to the LE LT, but it is much more slouchy. The interior is not light blue like the LT, and the LLB bag doesn't have as many compartments.

For using it as a purse a couple things come to mind...The water bottle mesh bag on the LLB seems like it might be easier to hold a bottle that's a little larger. Dr. Brown's bottles and Take N Toss sippies fit snugly in the LT. The LT is more squared off than the LLB, and the LLB comes in more colors, IIRC from looking at the websites a few months ago. The material of the LT is more "industrial" I'd say for lack of a better term, and the LLB is more sack-ish, kwim???

I'd go take a pic and post it, but the LT is in the car, it is raining, I'm home alone with the DC and I got locked out last week when they were inside.

I could see the LLB as a purse, but less so the LT unless she likes the boxy look. But the blue interior sure is handy...

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Wow, you rock! Quick response.

I have both a LT and a LLB bag that I'm not sure is a touring bag or a diaper bag. I got it at the thrift shop for $2-3. It only has one bottle holder on it and there was no changing pad in it. It is similar in size to the LE LT, but it is much more slouchy. The interior is not light blue like the LT, and the LLB bag doesn't have as many compartments. It must be the small Touring. Great deal on it!

For using it as a purse a couple things come to mind...The water bottle mesh bag on the LLB seems like it might be easier to hold a bottle that's a little larger. Dr. Brown's bottles and Take N Toss sippies fit snugly in the LT. The LT is more squared off than the LLB, and the LLB comes in more colors, IIRC from looking at the websites a few months ago. The material of the LT is more "industrial" I'd say for lack of a better term, and the LLB is more sack-ish, kwim???
The colors thing makes me think she would like the LLB. I know what you mean about the size thing, though I can fit the tall plastic water bottles I use really easily into the LE. The material on the LE is so stiff, I understand about the "industrial" and boxy feel. Is the small LLB floppy though?

I'd go take a pic and post it, but the LT is in the car, it is raining, I'm home alone with the DC and I got locked out last week when they were inside. I could see the LLB as a purse, but less so the LT unless she likes the boxy look. But the blue interior sure is handy...
If you get a chance at some point, pics would be great. I understand about the weather, getting locked out (that is the WORST!, ds has locked me out a couple times) so not right now. ;) She didn't mind the boxy look to the LE, but I am thinking the LLB might be a better purse for her. It is for Christmas, so I have some time to think on it.

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I have both. IME (b/c you know I'm a bag-hound), the LE LT is nicer. It has more structure. The LL Bean regular touring bag is very floppy. I never use mine and would have sent it back if I hadn't gotten it for $10 (shipping was more). There is no interior lining (which partly explains the floppiness). I can fit a Sigg or KK in my LE LT with no problem.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
There is no interior lining (which partly explains the floppiness). I can fit a Sigg or KK in my LE LT with no problem.

A big yes on the slouchy floppiness. You mean you can fit them inside the LT, but not in the bottle pockets on the side, right? We've never had reason to fit things other than bottles/sippies in ours yet :) I do like using the LT more, so I agree with Melissa on that part. It might just depend on the kind of bag person she is - slouchy or stiffer.

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
You mean you can fit them inside the LT, but not in the bottle pockets on the side, right?

No, I can fit them in the dedicated bottle pockets on either side (end?) of the LE LT.

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
No, I can fit them in the dedicated bottle pockets on either side (end?) of the LE LT.

I am finding I can fit really big bottles in there. I have a 32 ounce Rubbermaid bottle that fits. I have to unhook the lower strap on the LT, but then it slides in easily.

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I just slid my 27oz KK easily into the one LT bottle pocket and my medium-sized Sigg (600ml?) into the other LT bottle pocket. I struggled to get a 27oz KK into the LL Bean bag. I couldn't get the Sigg in and there is NO way an older person would have gotten either into the LL Bean bag. The elastic is a PITA. Man, I hate that bag, LOL.

Also, the LL Bean bag has no interior organization in the main compartment.

I took photos. I just don't know where the USB cable is, LOL.

ET fix typos. Ugh.

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I have both. IME (b/c you know I'm a bag-hound), the LE LT is nicer. It has more structure. The LL Bean regular touring bag is very floppy. I never use mine and would have sent it back if I hadn't gotten it for $10 (shipping was more). There is no interior lining (which partly explains the floppiness). I can fit a Sigg or KK in my LE LT with no problem.

Thanks for the reply!
:D
I am thinking the floppiness would be annoying. She really liked the LE when she saw mine this weekend, so I am kind of hesitant to order the LLB. Especially if it isn't going to be great for her. She knows the LE LT is a diaper bag, but she never would have guessed it on her own. She loved the ligth interior with little pockets. And I really like the thought of giving her a nice water bottle with a bag so it would be a plus that the 2 could work together as a gift. Hmmmmm......

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to get her the LE LT. Seriously. I have had many people comment over the years on my nice "purse". I love that the bottle pockets are so easy to access (I use 1 for water, 1 for other things if its just me, or 1 for my water, 1 for a kids sippy if I have a child with me). The interior color and organizational pockets are nice. And, I dislike the flap on the LL Bean bag.

Off to try to download...

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I couldn't get the Sigg in and there is NO way an older person would have gotten either into the LL Bean bag. The elastic is a PITA. Man, I hate that bag, LOL.

:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:
LOL! I was envisioning my mother in some parking lot trying to wrench a water bottle out to get a drink. So small water bottle with LT looking like a good option, lol?

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 10:45 PM
How much water does she want/need to carry -- b/c water in a metal water bottle isn't light, KWIM?

I find my 27oz KK a bit too big unless I'm out for a whole day. I would be fine with the 18oz KK for most. The 600ml Sigg is a nice size too, though I have to say, I prefer the KK over the Sigg.

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 10:50 PM
She needs to drink more than she is, she shouldn't need a huge water bottle though. She has had some medical problems and I keep telling her that if she carries some water, she is more likely to drink some (possibly to lighten the load in the purse, lol!). I am doubting she would carry as much as I do, I am like a camel half the time and the other half I spend pouring water for the kids, lol.

Okay and now I am adding the KK to my own Christmas list too.

bubbaray
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Kath, PMd you the link to my photos. I'm not used to using Flicker, so let me know if it d/n work.

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 11:24 PM
It worked! Thanks so much, it definitely helps to have a visual. :-)

Swimfreak78
11-04-2008, 08:45 PM
We have a LL Bean and love it. I like the contrast color inside plus my husband will carry it since it doesn't look like a diaper bag. One other note, LL Bean is running a promotion for every $50 you get $10 back. They have a great return policy if you don't like it.

bubbaray
11-04-2008, 11:04 PM
The regular sized LL Bean travel touring bag (at least the one I have) does NOT have a colored lining. The interior of the bag is the reverse side of the exterior fabric, so it is the same color as the exterior of the bag. The large travel touring bag/diaper bag does have different colored lining.

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2008, 09:37 AM
So, I'm off the hook for a picture? Thanks, Melissa :) I think she'll enjoy the bag a lot!

Just be sure to remove the diaper changing pad before telling her it is her new purse.

MamaKath
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
So, I'm off the hook for a picture? Thanks, Melissa :) I think she'll enjoy the bag a lot!

Just be sure to remove the diaper changing pad before telling her it is her new purse.

LOL!!! I am figuring she will like either bag. I am going to go to the LLBean store and try their water bottle in it to see what I think. I like the Large bag, but it is just too big as a purse. So... Okay and it gives me an excuse to go to the nice mall about an hour from my house to compare. :wink2:

bubbaray
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
FYI, the LL Bean bottle is, IIRC, the 27oz KK (or a knock off).

HTH