PDA

View Full Version : Formula to Milk

DietCokeLover
11-03-2008, 09:53 PM
DS will be 1 in 2 weeks. I've been trying to start transitioning him from formula to milk, but he is rejecting the milk. Won't even put the cup to his mouth. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions for me? I'm wondering if I can mix half formula and half milk and eventually cut back on the formula til it's all milk.

TIA!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I think that your idea of transitioning would be fine.

I breastfed ds1 and didn't really try to push the switch but what I did do was offer equal parts whole fat yogurt with whole fat milk in a sippy cup. I thought that since he loved yogurt he make be receptive to drinkable yogurt.

Beth

Emmas Mom
11-03-2008, 10:26 PM
That's what I did with both girls. Started out 75% formula/25% milk, then 50/50, then 25/75. Worked very well for us. Good luck. :)

randomkid
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
You might even start with less milk. When I transitioned DD, I think I started with about 25% milk, did that for a few days, then half and half, then 75% milk, etc. It took me a couple of weeks, but I took it very slow since DD had milk protein intolerance and I wasn't sure how she would do with the milk. I went to regular formula from Nutramigen before going to whole milk and I did the transition the same both times. Seemed to work pretty well and you can probably accomplish it in a few days.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
I think we just made the transition. I was lazy last week and thought getting an ok from the ped by phone was easier than going to the store to buy more formula. DS has always hated drinking, so DH does probably the worst thing ever- sticks him in the reclined high chair seat and dangles things above the sippy cup for him to look at - keys, cell phone- ipod photo slideshow, whatever. It distracts him enough to get the milk in.

Wondering if you could try new and interesting sippy cups - or different temperatures. DS was really interested in a playmate's cup several days ago.

IIRC, the volume of milk goes down from the amt of formula that was given, right? For some reason, I'm thinking 20 oz. is the new goal at 1, whereas we were doing about 28 oz of formula. Whatever the case, DS has been eating like he has a hollow leg for the past 6 days, so I'm not as worried about the intake right now. FWIW, I didn't even try the mixing thing. We just used distraction.

Piglet
11-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Don't get discouraged! My DD hates milk with a passion. I tried even smaller dilutions and she still rejected the formula/milk outright. She is nearly 18 months and will now once ins a while drink a few ounces of milk (out of shot glasses and only shot glasses). She also drinks the chocolate milk that comes in a juice box since she likes juice boxes so much. The ped was not at all concerned and left it up to us to make sure she was getting other dairy products. She gets a lot of cheese and yogurt in a day and she gets one bottle of formula still at night. Oh, and I have tried soy milk. rice milk, strawberry flavoured milk, etc. She simply hates milk (but then again, so do I).

clb
11-04-2008, 09:29 AM
We did 50/50 for a week and then switched to all whole milk.
20oz is good. I was told he should be in the 18-20oz range now. He was still drinking 28-32oz before the switch.

ETA: I had the wrong max. It should be 20.

Gena
11-04-2008, 11:11 AM
That's what I did with both girls. Started out 75% formula/25% milk, then 50/50, then 25/75. Worked very well for us. Good luck. :)

This is what we did too. The entire transition took about a week and went very smoothly.

HIU8
11-04-2008, 02:49 PM
We did 1/3 milk and 2/3 formula and then 1/2 and 1/2, then full milk. It took about 4 weeks for DS to get used to it. DD got sick from the milk right away and we went straight to soy milk (no transition). She just took to it at the first gulp. We switched her to rice milk last week and she just drank it without any fuss also.