PDA

View Full Version : Tips for coping with DC with broken arm?

mamicka
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
DS1 (5 yrs) broke his wrist today falling off the monkey bars. He won't have a cast until the swelling comes down - splint & sling until then. This is a first for us. Any tips on how to cope? I won't send him to school tomorrow because I need to help him practice doing things one-handed (bathroom especially).

TIA!

ThreeofUs
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh, your poor DS! No advice, just commiseration - I well remember being 5 w/ a broken wrist....

Liberal application of toys and chocolate helped me, tho'. ;)

s7714
11-04-2008, 01:16 AM
:hug: for your little guy!

My 5.5 year old DD just got her full arm cast off Thursday, but she's BTDT as it was the second time around breaking an arm for her.

Sounds like you're already covering one of the key factors, which is making sure he's self sufficient when it comes to doing things at school one handed. He'll be able to get assistance on the majority of things at school, but being able to use the potty by himself is important. I'd start planing out some easy to wear clothing because snaps, zippers, etc. are often impossible to manage. (My DD lived in dresses, but that's not really an option for you! ;) ) Make sure you mention to his teacher about the fact he won't be able to use scissors or glue things easily at first. That way it'll get his/her brain moving in the right direction if they haven't already starting thinking about how they're going to adjust his activities. He might also need assistance carrying his backpack/lunch and opening things at snack and lunch time. Another thing is to find out how your school handles kids in casts when it comes to PE and recess times. (In our school district any elementary kids with a cast have to go to the office during recess.) The nice thing about 5 year olds is that they're usually pretty darn anxious to help out fellow students if the teacher asks them too, so I'm sure your son will find a number of classmates willing to help him!

As for at home, things are usually easier since you can be around to help him. If your Dr. recommends to keep his arm elevated for a while, find things he can easily do sitting down and try to make that sitting time down feel like a special treat. My DD had to keep her recent break elevated for several days initially, but she had a hard time sitting still. We pretty much set up a little station for her in our big arm chair. She rested her arm on the arm of the chair and had a little lap try to play on and eat meals off of. That was a selling point for her, because we only allow people to eat away from the table when they're sick or injured--so it was like having a picnic in her mind! She watched videos and colored, played with small toys there as well.

If he broke his dominant arm, I'd stick to finger or easy to eat foods until he gains some dexterity using his other hand with utensils. You also may find that his coloring and writing skills take a turn for the messy side, even if he didn't break his dominant arm, because he'll have to figure out how to hold the paper still with his casted arm (not always an easy task).

Bathing is pretty much the only other issue. Since they haven't put a cast on yet, I'd recommend asking if they can use the water safe material when they do put it on. It's much nicer than standard casting material because it can be submerged and get all wet without worry. Not all places carry or use the water proof stuff though, so YMMV. If they don't have it and you get a standard cast, I find the easiest way to deal with bath time is to wrap the arm up well in many layers of plastic wrap or press 'n seal and do a quick shower with a hand held sprayer. They do sell special air tight devices you can put on over casts, but some kids don't like how constricting they feel with the air gets sucked out! (Here's a link for those: www.xerosox.com )

Good luck and I hope your DC heals quickly!

Tondi G
11-04-2008, 01:24 AM
Ahhh He is the 2nd child I know of that has broken their wrist in the last few days!

My DS has broken his arm 3 times... well technically broke the right elbow and needed surgery the first time, then broke the left forearm (two bones) and then broke the right forearm (one bone). We spent a lot of time in casts over a 1.5 year period! Motrin is your/his friend for the first few days!

Use plastic store bags to cover the cast for baths... get him in, have him attempt to hang his arm over the side of the tub or at least up so that the water runs down towards his shoulder if it gets wet, wash their hair and necessary parts and get them out... the bag gets hot and sweaty!

When your kiddo goes in to get the cast put on ask them to line it with Gortex! It makes all the difference ... or so my DS said... the cast didn't get nearly as hot with the Gortex lining. With the first cast he was constantly asking me to blow into the cast to try to cool it down. A cool hair dryer can help too. Baby Wipes are the best for cleaning their casted hands fingers.... they get icky and you can't wash em!

I was amazed at how well my DS adapted to his cast. He learned to write quite well with his left hand surprisingly. Stick to elastic waist pants. He managed and while 4 to 6 weeks seems like a long time it will go by quick.

HUGS to your little guy!

If there is anything I can help you with lemme know! oh and whatever you do... do not let him get sand in the cast... no sandbox/beach!!!!

~Tondi

MontrealMum
11-04-2008, 01:25 AM
No advice, just wanted to say that I'm so sorry your little guy got hurt :(

mamicka
11-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the hugs & advice, ladies! I didn't even know there were choices about cast material - that's great to know. He'll get his cast as Children's Hospital here so I'm hoping that they have these options.

Tondi_G, I think you're in SoCal, right? Do you think that the cast gets hot inside in a colder climate? I'm reading that & it sounds like a totally stupid question.

Thankfully, it isn't his dominant arm, so that should make it at least somewhat easier. He's allergic to ibuprofen so last night was rough. Tylenol worked but not as fast or as well as ibuprofen would have.

Thanks again for all the tips, ladies - you saved me some worry & frustration. Sorry that your little ones had to go through it already, multiple times over!

Wife_and_mommy
11-04-2008, 09:15 AM
So sorry you're little guy is hurting. :(

Just wanted to add about the goretex lining. DS had a waterproof cast in the spring. It made it *much* easier to bathe him since it could get wet. I'd thread a washcloth in it and scrub. I'd highly recommend you seek this out if your current orthoped doesn't have it.

Hope he heals quickly. :hug: to you all.

elephantmeg
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
if he's allergic to ibup then maybe ask for tyl #3 elixer for bedtime use. It should make a world of difference! The rest of advice has already been covered!

Melbel
11-04-2008, 10:33 AM
No advice, just a hug. I am sorry your LO is hurting. There have been far too many arm breaks at DS and DD1's school due to monkey bar falls.

caleymama
11-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Just more good thoughts coming your way, no btdt advice.

Tondi G
11-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the hugs & advice, ladies! I didn't even know there were choices about cast material - that's great to know. He'll get his cast as Children's Hospital here so I'm hoping that they have these options.

Tondi_G, I think you're in SoCal, right? Do you think that the cast gets hot inside in a colder climate? I'm reading that & it sounds like a totally stupid question.

Thankfully, it isn't his dominant arm, so that should make it at least somewhat easier. He's allergic to ibuprofen so last night was rough. Tylenol worked but not as fast or as well as ibuprofen would have.

Thanks again for all the tips, ladies - you saved me some worry & frustration. Sorry that your little ones had to go through it already, multiple times over!

Yes even in a colder climate it will get warm inside the cast!!! I highly recommend the Gortex cold or warm climate! I never went ahead and got the cast wet cause I didn't want to sit with a hair dryer trying to get it all good and dry... but it was nice not having to worry about it getting a little damp!

So sorry that he can't take Ibuprofen ... that made a huge difference for my DS as far as the welling went. With his 1st broken arm he was given Tylenol with Codine for the pain. His last broken arm we went to a different ER and they actually gave him Motrin instead. The doctor said it was actually better for the inflammation and pain! Codine is good for pain and getting them to relax but not so much on the inflammation.

Good luck!