PDA

View Full Version : Please help me shop for non-junky toys for DS

JTsMom
11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I will admit it- despite my otherwise increasingly crunchy ways, I've been guilty of buying junky plastic toys in the past. I'm turning over a new leaf this Christmas, but I don't know where to start.

DS's favorite toys are his little people play sets. He has the barn, an amusement park, the parking garage, airplane, bus, and a variety of other small things. He plays with this stuff on a daily basis.

He also loves his Hotwheels/Matchbox cars, anything involving music, and all types of ride on stuff- bikes, scooters, etc, wagons, cars, etc.

He'll be 3.5 at Christmas time. In my family, Christmas is HUGE. We do a lot of presents for children, but I realize I'm going to have buy fewer things if I'm going to spend more for them, so I want to try to make sure the things I do buy are really loved.

So far I'm thinking about:
*M&D Band in a Box (which he has seen, and wants really badly)
*M&D cutting food
*Some type of large play set- preferably some type of building/house, as he is really into that right now. I'm kicking around the KidKraft Fire Station, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm also thinking about another garage, but b/c he already has the FP one, it seems silly. It's such a piece of junk though....
*I already have several trains put away from deals on the Bargains board.
*Some craft stuff- paint, brushes, paper, playdough, etc.

What do you guys think about an easel? I know they are popular, but I'm not sure why.... we always just paint and color on the table.

*A couple of dress up items- he's just getting into this
*A few books
*A couple of games
*A doll of some sort- probably a more natural/Waldorf type
*A Laurie Berkner CD

Suggest away, please! :D

o_mom
11-04-2008, 04:25 PM
If he likes cars, then Automoblox would be good. The big ones are a bit pricey, but the minis are more reasonable. You would need at least two so they can be interchanged. DS1 got two for his birthday and they have held up very well. I have more in reserve (Target clearance last summer) for Christmas.

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
My nephew has the KidKraft fire station, and I think I've read on here it wasn't as big of a hit as they thought it would be. I see this one at the toy store across the street. I'm trying to wait until DS is at least 2 before putting it on the wishlist for the grandparents, but I might cave before then.

http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail-item-79%20PLN%2039608300~-~fromsearch-true.asp

We are overrun with Little People here too, but wow, they get some use. DD is currently into finding "twins" - like a girl from the playground set who has a twin in the Preschool holding up a 7 or a boy from the Boating set carrying a frog who has a twin from somewhere else wearing a backpack. It is hilarious who she matches up each day. All the birds from the Zoo were hanging out in a doll stroller last night. I'm pretty impressed!

ETA: I'm not an authority on this as we don't have them, but instead of the M&D band in a box, I'd check out WestMusic.com. I just got our shipment of REAL instruments that my music teacher-turned Kindermusik teacher friend recommended. DD has recently taken an interest in instruments, so I'm thinking the better sound quality of real instruments will pay off. SILs have all told me there is a hidden music gene that comes from FIL (lifetime organist), so we all try to nurture it. You should've heard the cousins with Xbox Rock Band this summer. They sounded professional!

We got 2 Remo Tom Tom drums, 2 plastic guiros, Sonor glockenspiel with a bag (to only bring out with supervision - she says they take the bars off if not) and a double row tambourine. Can't wait to open them up next month!

BeachBum
11-04-2008, 05:54 PM
If he is 3.5 why not Playmobile? My DS is just 3 and really loves it. Same type of toy as little people, but a bit more 'big boy'.
We also have automoblox and they are a big hit.

greatcanuk
11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm not an authority on this as we don't have them, but instead of the M&D band in a box, I'd check out WestMusic.com. I just got our shipment of REAL instruments that my music teacher-turned Kindermusik teacher friend recommended. DD has recently taken an interest in instruments, so I'm thinking the better sound quality of real instruments will pay off.

ITA. We have the M&D Band in a Box, and it hasn't held up well at all. The paint chipped very badly and the wood is soft, so you can see dings where the mallet hits the xylophone keys. I agree with getting better sounding instruments from a place like West Music.

How about something like these:
http://www.westmusic.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=134&prodid=201216
http://www.westmusic.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=134&prodid=510726
http://www.billsmusiconline.com/hohner-shrm6.html

We have this set too. It's cuter than "real" musical instruments, but we like it better than the M&D set.
http://www.sassafrasenterprises.com/product.asp?lt=d&deptid=5732&sec=kids&pfid=SAS00221

Camille

o_mom
11-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Another thought is a set of unit blocks. You could supplement with a set of fancier pieces - DS1 and DS2 love to make cities out of the blocks. They also make roads with the blocks for their cars. This would be an open-ended toy that could last for years.

For dress up stuff, look at play silks. Mine use them for all kinds of stuff. I made them out of fake silk from JoAnns in various sizes. They are capes, tents, wrapping paper, belts, nests, etc.

DrSally
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Ok, I was in the process of responding a few days ago and had computer prob. We have both the M&D band in a box (last year for Xmas) and cutting food. The Band in a box was a hit at 2yo. I think the instruments are high quality and a good selection (no duds) in the box. We also got a small acoustic guitar, which rounded out his instrument collection. We got ours at TJ Max for $20. Maybe a REmo drum as well? I've gotten a few cheap drums that have broken, but have yet to get a good one. The M&D cutting food is really a hit. We keep it in DS's bedroom and he loves to do it when he wakes up and before he goes to bed.

ETA: Agree with suggestion for unit blocks. DS really likes them and I'd like to get some supplemental fancier pieces too. Playsilks--DS dances with some of my silk scarves I never use. Wish I could sew and make some of my own!

brittone2
11-07-2008, 04:38 PM
THe Melissa and Doug stuff held up so-so for us. I'd like to get DD a Remo drum soon.

Playsilks and unit blocks have been big hits here. DS didn't get into silks until he was over 3, but DD has enjoyed them since she was 9-10 months old.

We have two easels. One is awesome, heavy, and made of oak. We found it at a flea market for $30 so I couldn't pass it up. We also have an "outside" easel that is just a plastic one (from Step 2 or Little Tikes). That was from a yardsale for under $5. That works well as they can paint outside on the deck. But if you aren't missing having one, I wouldn't worry about it (or hold off and find a used one).

Does he need art supplies? We like the Michaels version of Do A Dot markers (and using a 40% off coupon makes them cheap!). Playdoh? DS got one of those extruders for Playdoh and both kids are still enjoying it a year later. Oh, and we buy the nice watercolor paper from AC Moore/Michaels...but use a coupon to make it much cheaper!

SUperfly Kidz cape (from etsy?) Fireman's hat?

Magnatiles? Duplo?

If he likes cars, how about a gas station? We picked up the Playmobil gas station for DS for Christmas for $10 (it isn't a stand alone...it comes in a bag vs. a box but it will work fine as a standalone. It was a B*tch to put together so allow time for that if you go that route). I think DS will like this as he's very into vehicle play. We're just getting started w/ Playmobil (DS is 4.5). The gas station would not require Playmobil people, which are a little tricky from a fine motor standpoint.

Balance bike? (DS got his Puky for his 3rd bday and is still enjoying it at 4.5).

Books/stories on CD? We love Greathall's stuff. DS got into those around 3.5-4 and listens to at least one a day.

Games...Haba Orchard gets good reviews from most people (we don't own it though). We have a bunch of other fun Haba games that DS enjoys though. He also has Cranium Cariboo, Hi Ho Cherry Oh, Zingo, and an Eeboo matching game (love the pics on the Eeboo one, and no commercial characters).

If you get a doll, do you think he'd like a stroller or sling?

If I need inspiration for gifts, I look at novanatural or a place like forsmallhands and then I have more ideas than money in the budget!