PDA

View Full Version : *THREAD FOR POLL RESULTS (and subsequent comments)*

Ceepa
11-04-2008, 06:34 PM
I thought we should start one main thread for these. :) :)

NO RESULTS YET, but some polls are closing in Kentucky and Indiana at 6 p.m. (eastern). Early results for NH are just starting to roll in.

LarsMal
11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Oh, man, "subsequent comments"!?!?! And I was trying to step away from the BBB tonight! ;)

Ceepa
11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Oh, man, "subsequent comments"!?!?! And I was trying to step away from the BBB tonight! ;)

You know you can't. ;)

o_mom
11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Polls are closed here! We can buy beer now! :)

irie i
11-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Polls are closed here! We can buy beer now! :)

Huh? You can't buy beer when the polls are open?

o_mom
11-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Huh? You can't buy beer when the polls are open?

Nope - no alcohol sales at stores, bars, restaurants, etc while the polls are open. DH forgot and was denied his beer at the grocery on the way home. :ROTFLMAO:

irie i
11-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Ahh I didn't know that. I wonder if its like that here in CA...doubtful, for people can smoke marijuana in the streets here lol...not that it really matters to my pregnant self! lol.

MontrealMum
11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Just wanted to say that the first vote of the election was cast by a Montrealer in New Hampshire because they open their polls at midnight. He is an American student from NH studying here at McGill and won the privilege to be the first. Had to add a little Canadian content ;)

citymama
11-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Anyone experience any voting machine glitches? Our old-fashioned ballots worked just fine here in CA!

Laurel
11-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Anyone experience any voting machine glitches? Our old-fashioned ballots worked just fine here in CA!

Can't beat pen and paper!

JTsMom
11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
So far CNN has McCain at 8, Obama at 3.

ETA: Electoral votes, not states.

irie i
11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Obama has won Vermont's 3 electoral votes while McCain has won Kentucky's 8 electoral votes (AP).

Ceepa
11-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Deleting poll results.

Swimfreak78
11-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Polls in Massachusetts close at 8.

Ceepa
11-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Next up:

Western Indiana
Western Kentucky -- McCain (8)
Eastern Florida -- *Battleground state*
Georgia
South Carolina -- McCain (8)
Vermont -- Obama (3)
Virginia -- *Battleground state*
North Carolina -- *Battleground state*
West Virginia
Ohio -- *Battleground state*

Closes at 8 p.m.
Alabama
Connecticut
D.C.
Delaware
Western Florida -- *Battleground state*
Illinois
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
Maryland
Mississippi
Missouri -- *Battleground state*
N.H. (cities) -- *Battleground state*
N.J. -- *Battleground state*
Eastern North Dakota
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania -- *Battleground state*
Eastern South Dakota
Tennesse
Eastern Texas

8:30
Arkansas

npace19147
11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Shouldn't PA also be listed as a battleground state? We must be given the amount of political advertising!

buddyleebaby
11-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Shouldn't PA also be listed as a battleground state? We must be given the amount of political advertising!

:yeahthat:

Ceepa
11-04-2008, 09:08 PM

Yup! I didn't start this thread intending to keep up myself with all the details, but now I kinda am -- so be patient. ;) I'm doing this and handling one of my DC at the same time! LOL

Ceepa
11-04-2008, 09:16 PM
All right.

I'm officially out of the play-by-play reporting here and will just let everyone add to this thread as they want. :)
So please post away!

irie i
11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
CBS is reporting that Obama won Pennsylvania.

Ceepa
11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Looks like Georgia is going to McCain.

Wife_and_mommy
11-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Not a glitch really but, according to DH, there was a poll worker peeking at every single ballot cast.

KBecks
11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
What is with these projected wins? They are projecting Obama to WI with 0% of precincts reporting -- huh? How about waiting for some actual results?

I also predict that WI will go to Obama, but I don't want to hear predictions, I want to hear uh, real results?

Isn't this what got reporters in trouble with with FL? I don't want to see states flipping back and forth (well maybe I do with PA!)

ETA: It looks like they use exit polls. I have heard that Dems are over sampled in exit polls and are more likely to participate in exit polls than Reps and independents.

LarsMal
11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Fox News just called Ohio for Obama.

ETA: MSNBC just projected Ohio for Obama, too.

Clarity
11-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Holy Smokes, I missed that! Changing channels now...whoo hooo OHIO for Obama!!
Oh, and no glitches here (in NE Ohio) with the new fangled election technology.

Davids-Coco
11-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Projections are often based on exit polls... which can be wrong - I know a lot of people who lie about it for the hell of it.

Wife_and_mommy
11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I know a lot of people who lie about it for the hell of it.

This is making me :ROTFLMAO: . Not sure why.

Davids-Coco
11-04-2008, 10:30 PM
This is making me :ROTFLMAO: . Not sure why.
Well, its just messing with people, lol. I giggle about it too.

LarsMal
11-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Electoral vote count:

Obama 200
McCain 90

maestramommy
11-04-2008, 10:55 PM
As of 8pm EST NH went to Obama.

ohiomom
11-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Just HAVE to say YIPEE OHIO!!!! :) :) :cheerleader1: :bighand:

LarsMal
11-04-2008, 11:06 PM
COME ON VIRGINIA!!!!!

Even if Obama loses VA, my county voted for him, so I'm happy about that! It's such a close one...Obama is leading by about 12,000 votes. I need some Tums!

Wife_and_mommy
11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I need some Tums!

You and me both! DH has finally quieted down. He was quite heated earlier.:wink2:

LarsMal
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
You and me both! DH has finally quieted down. He was quite heated earlier.:wink2:

I actually threw in a load of laundry...I figure it's going to be a long night, I might as well get something done!

mommy111
11-04-2008, 11:32 PM
COME ON VIRGINIA!!!!!

Even if Obama loses VA, my county voted for him, so I'm happy about that! It's such a close one...Obama is leading by about 12,000 votes. I need some Tums!

Why? Its a done deal now, isn't it, Ohio sealed it as far as I can see? I m ay be mistaken, but it seems like that to me.

LarsMal
11-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Why? Its a done deal now, isn't it, Ohio sealed it as far as I can see? I m ay be mistaken, but it seems like that to me.

Yeah, I think it pretty much did...I just want VA (my state) to swing to Obama- purely selfish reasons!

tylersmama
11-05-2008, 12:01 AM
NBC just called the whole thing for Obama.

Emmas Mom
11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
NBC just called the whole thing for Obama.

So did CNN.

BaileyBea
11-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Salon, Slate, ABC...

I am so glad it's over and I am so proud of our country. Now I hope the next few hours continue to be as peaceful.

Nancy

brittone2
11-05-2008, 12:19 AM
McCain conceding presently.

LarsMal
11-05-2008, 12:44 AM
McCain conceding presently.

I thought he gave a very nice speech. It was very well written, and I thought his delivery was very good, too.

ETA: Obama is speaking at midnight EST. I hope it will help make those who were unsure of him a little more comfortable and confident in his ability to lead our country.

JTsMom
11-05-2008, 12:49 AM
:yeahthat:

Bens Momma
11-05-2008, 12:51 AM
I am so proud of our country!! What an amazing time!! Asked my Dad who is 80 if he ever thought he's see an African American elected President during his lifetime and he said no with a tear in his eye. He voted for Obama BTW. Thought McCain's speech was classy and had the theme of unifying the country and working to support Obama. Disappointed to hear booing from the crowd every time Obama's name was mentioned. To those booing in the crowd, get over it and move on if you really love the country (I had to after the last 2 elections!) I think either man was going to face MAJOR challenges to get our country moving in the right direction, let's hope that the enthusiasm that Obama inspired in many Americans continues during his Presidency. Kudos to McCain for a classy speech. Can't wait to hear Obama's speech!!

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

kijip
11-05-2008, 02:33 AM
I am glad I was wrong almost 2 years ago. I thought he was running for VP and would never get the nomination, much less with with such a margin in the electoral college. I love being wrong if it means this. :yay: :yay: :yay:

KBecks
11-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I have not heard McCain's concession speech, but I expected him to give a gracious concession if it came to that, and that he would also concede quickly and not drag things out.

I think it is Kedss (Kate) who has the signature about politicians needing to be changed every so often. Although I am very disappointed, I see others who are very happy and I'm glad for them.

Anyway, I think there is truth in the back and forth between the parties. I am very very concerned over some things, but we will see what happens specifically over time.

lizajane
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I am so proud of our country!! What an amazing time!! Asked my Dad who is 80 if he ever thought he's see an African American elected President during his lifetime and he said no with a tear in his eye. He voted for Obama BTW. Thought McCain's speech was classy and had the theme of unifying the country and working to support Obama. Disappointed to hear booing from the crowd every time Obama's name was mentioned. To those booing in the crowd, get over it and move on if you really love the country (I had to after the last 2 elections!) I think either man was going to face MAJOR challenges to get our country moving in the right direction, let's hope that the enthusiasm that Obama inspired in many Americans continues during his Presidency. Kudos to McCain for a classy speech. Can't wait to hear Obama's speech!!

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

i thought the boo's were REALLY tacky, especially when mccain gave such a lovely, positive speech. at my gobama party, we all remarked that it was the REAL mccain speaking and not the RNC mccain that went in a different direction from the man we thought we knew. (that isn't intended to be ugly, so please know i mean to compliment mccain-just tired here!)

i was especially disappointed with the booing when obama mentioned mccain's name and everyone CHEERED. one might think they cheered for his loss, but that was not my impression.

brittone2
11-05-2008, 01:46 PM
i thought the boo's were REALLY tacky, especially when mccain gave such a lovely, positive speech. at my gobama party, we all remarked that it was the REAL mccain speaking and not the RNC mccain that went in a different direction from the man we thought we knew. (that isn't intended to be ugly, so please know i mean to compliment mccain-just tired here!)

i was especially disappointed with the booing when obama mentioned mccain's name and everyone CHEERED. one might think they cheered for his loss, but that was not my impression.

Agreeing. I wish we had seen more of last night's McCain all along.

I'm still waiting for NC to be called officially. I feel like DH and I will really celebrate that as a nice cherry on top of a dream come true.

Both kids stayed up and watched the speech. DS knew it was a special moment...he could feel it. I know he did. They had taken a late nap in the car while we drove out to Durham to do a last minute canvass. I took video of them saying "yes we did" last night and talking about the election. They tolerated being pushed in the stroller last night in the rain as we canvassed for last minute voters. I wanted to document it since they participated in making history :heartbeat:

JTsMom
11-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Agreeing. I wish we had seen more of last night's McCain all along.

I'm still waiting for NC to be called officially. I feel like DH and I will really celebrate that as a nice cherry on top of a dream come true.

Both kids stayed up and watched the speech. DS knew it was a special moment...he could feel it. I know he did. They had taken a late nap in the car while we drove out to Durham to do a last minute canvass. I took video of them saying "yes we did" last night and talking about the election. They tolerated being pushed in the stroller last night in the rain as we canvassed for last minute voters. I wanted to document it since they participated in making history :heartbeat:

Awwwww! :love-retry: I took a pic of Jason watching the coverage earlier in the evening, with an Obama button on his shirt. He was cheering like crazy. LOL

brittone2
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Awwwww! :love-retry: I took a pic of Jason watching the coverage earlier in the evening, with an Obama button on his shirt. He was cheering like crazy. LOL

:love-retry: back at you :)