PDA

View Full Version : What baby items would you buy secondhand?

irie i
11-04-2008, 07:04 PM
So far the only item I have looked for secondhand is something that is sort of more for me - the glider/ottoman set. I might actually get it from my family but just in case I have been looking on Craigslist.

If you purchased things secondhand what was your experience? What would you get and recommend NOT to get?

The things I can think of NOT to get secondhand are cribs and car seats. Car seats because you don't know if that car seat was ever involved in a car accident which could make it less safe for baby and cribs because all too often the seller can't name the brand/model so it will be difficult to find out if there are any recalls on it.

citymama
11-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Agreed re car seat - should be new. Crib - I wouldn't buy on craigslist, but we did buy our crib off a friend. Swing, stroller, bouncy seat, glider, mobile, pack n play, sling - are all fine to buy used, assuming no defects, damage, small parts, or recalls. I think a nursing pillow is nice new - or at least the cover. I think changing table used is fine, though I would buy the pad and covers new since there has definitely been some "damage" done to it during diaper changes. But buy a new diaper pail!

Here's what we got used v new:
Used:
crib
sling and Bjorn
Changing table (got new covers)
swing
mobile
MBF nursing pillow

New:
car-seat
stroller
glider and nursing stool (gift)
bouncy seat (gift)
closet organizer
bath tub
PnP (gift)
breast pump and bottles!
Ergo

maydaymommy
11-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I didn't buy any baby stuff second hand, so others are certainly more equipped to answer this than I am. That being said, maybe it will be useful to hear what I would have considered getting used after-the-fact.

The only thing I may have considered would be really good quality furniture such as a changing table or bookshelves or armoire or something, probably not a crib. But, if I had to do it over again, I may look into getting a used secondary changing table, like for downstairs. Personally, I'm weirded out by the thought of used fabric/upholstered stuff in the baby's room. I think that a used pack 'n play would be fine, or a swing - especially a swing in which every part the baby can touch can be washed. Same goes for bouncy seats.

I have purchased some toddler things from CL. All have been wooden toys and I am comfortable with this, although it's not the kind of thing you can throw in the washing machine or totally disinfect. I think I would not have done it for baby things that could end up in the mouth.

I also would not hesitate to buy a quality, recent stroller used (and I'm a stroller snob).

I don't think I would have done it as a ftm, but as ds has gotten older I have bought some EUC clothes on ebay and also two things at a consignment store. I think you could probably do great with brand name infant clothing used.

Good luck!

MamaMolly
11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
When DD was born at 36 weeks, we had just moved and our stuff hadn't arrived (and didn't come for another month. We camped in the luxury of our own home!) Money was really tight and I hadn't bought anything for DD before we moved, so most of what I got was second hand.

Glider and Ottoman. Totally necessary to get the most tricked out plushy model that you can find. I don't think I'd pay retail for one, but I'd be tempted.
Tiny Love sound in Motion crib mobile. Way better than the BRU one I registered for, and worth paying retail for if you can't find one on CL.
Baby tub. A little bleach goes a long way.
Swing. Not all kids like them and it is a lot to spend to find out.
Exersaucer
Gymini play mat for tummy time
toys like peek a boo blocks and link-a-doos, little people and the critters, books, puzzles, anything I could bleach
bijorn potty chairs
highchair
playtex drop in bottles (I got new nipples and bags)
baby spoons

I bought the changing table but when DD learned to crawl we got a dresser off of Freecycle and put DDs changing pad on it. Knowing what I do now, I'd not buy the changing table again, but I would have a designated changing station like a dresser.

Things I did not/would not buy used:
crib
crib mattress
changing table pad
diaper pail
breast pump (unless it had replacement parts)
pacies and bottle nipples
carseat

I bought nearly everything for DD used at thrift/consignment stores, off CL or got it from Freecycle. A bit came from friends. You can get really nice stuff in great condition at good prices IMO. Of course, it takes some luck and some scrounging, but it was a fun way to learn my way around our new town.

niccig
11-04-2008, 07:31 PM
You're in CA, are you in or around LA? There's a big Kids consignment sale held twice a year. You can get pretty much anything. I sold my stroller, high chair when no longer needed. If we have another child, I'll get things like that from the sale.
ETA. I looked at your profile and you are in LA. Here's the consignment web site. It was held in October, but they do another one in Spring http://www.lakidsconsignment.com/
My friend is on the committee for the sale, and they're very strict with what can be sold - everything clean, no stains on clothes, in good working order, manuals attached etc.
I would get car seat new or I'm Ok with secondhand if know seller and the history. eg. I gave our seat to SIL and I'm a car seat nut so she was fine with using it.
Crib is OK secondhand again if know no recalls. I'd buy a new mattress though. I'd buy a new diaper changing pad too. Most other things can be cleaned/scrubbed, so I'm OK with second hand and wish we had done more,

clb
11-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I would not buy a second hand crib, carseat, PnP or bassinet. Maybe the PnP and bassinet is just me. I would be concerned about how it was used- folded correctly, weight limits etc. Plus too many bassinet recalls for me lately.

I bought a playzone and a little tikes car off CL. I've purchased some outdoor toys and stroller accessories at garage sales.

I borrowed or inherited bouncy seats, a swing, a changing table, a jumperoo, an exersaucer and baby gates. The covers of the FP seats are washable so I could see buying secondhand. The other stuff is all easily cleanable. I should add that we needed to purchase new end pieces for the gates so you'd need to check that carefully.

I could see buying a second hand baby gym too. I think I used mine for 2 months and it is all machine washable.

Snow mom
11-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I bought my crib and dresser/changer used off Craigslist. I was looking for a particular model that they stopped making a few years back. I knew that there hadn't been any recalls and the people I bought it from had everything, including the instructions, the tools used to assemble/disassemble, and even the sheet of (wax?) paper used to lubricate the slides. I wouldn't buy a used carseat (under any circumstances) or used bassinet/ pack n' play unless I knew a lot about their history and model information.

~Lisa

irie i
11-04-2008, 07:48 PM
You're in CA, are you in or around LA? There's a big Kids consignment sale held twice a year. You can get pretty much anything. I sold my stroller, high chair when no longer needed. If we have another child, I'll get things like that from the sale.

Yes I am in Los Angeles. How can I find out when this sale is?

saschalicks
11-04-2008, 07:55 PM

The sale for fall was just 3 weeks ago. The next one will be end of March. I've sold most of my stuff there. I would've bought more stuff but they didn't have all the things I was looking for :( I work there a lot as a volunteer, and I thought if I had to do it all over again I'd be buying MOST of my stuff used.

I agree that crib and car seat are a new product. UNLESS you know the person really well you are getting them from. Like I gave DS#1's crib to a very dear friend. When we're done w/#3 I'll see if SIL wants to save the crib we have now (was DS2's) for someday, otherwise I'll sell it.

niccig
11-04-2008, 07:55 PM

I added the website link to my post above. I know you just missed the Fall sale, it was in October, but there is another one in Spring, I'm thinking around March - I'll email my friend and see if she already knows.
It's a really great sale to go too. When I sold things 2 years ago, there was so much stuff - easily 50 strollers, 20 high chairs etc, and each year it keeps getting bigger and bigger. As I said, they're quite picky about what they'll accept to sell. And there's lots to choose from. I sold my high chair and would easily buy one from the sale. I priced my things at about 50% of retail. I don't know when you're due, but I would wait on things like high chair that you don't need until 6 months and pick up at the consignment sale. It's what I'll do if we change our mind and have another child.

irie i
11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much! :) I would love to go to the next one and I am sorry I missed the last!! My baby is due on January 31st so I am sure I will still be able to find a lot of things I will be able to use.

Since both of you are in LA, would you happen to use a diaper service? I am considering using one and need recommendations.

niccig
11-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Since both of you are in LA, would you happen to use a diaper service? I am considering using one and need recommendations.

No, I did cloth diaper but I washed at home. It was an extra load about every 2-3 days.

saschalicks
11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
No, I did cloth diaper but I washed at home. It was an extra load about every 2-3 days.

:yeahthat: I plan do the laundry myself w/this one as well. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

BTW, go sign up on the lakidsconsignment website so you get e-mails for the next sale.

niccig
11-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks so much! :) I would love to go to the next one and I am sorry I missed the last!! My baby is due on January 31st so I am sure I will still be able to find a lot of things I will be able to use.

Hold off on the high chair etc, you don't need that until 6 months etc, unless some family member/friend buys you one.

niccig
11-04-2008, 08:20 PM

With washing yourself, you can use a range of great cloth diapers. Diaper services only use prefolds - you have to fold and then use a snappy nappy to hold together or a diaper safety pin. I used fitted cloth diapers - same shape as a disposable and snaps/velcro to close. DS was a super soaker, so I ended up with hemp fitteds and covers, the only combination that worked for him.

Melaine
11-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I am willing to buy almost anything used, with the exception of a car seat and crib mattress. However, my cribs and mattresses were hand me downs from family/friends and that didn't bother me at all. I bought new covers for used boppys and that was fine.....in general I am really really happy that we bought nearly everything used, and here's why. If I had bought most things new, I would've invested a lot and would therefore feel obligated to keep those items. I would've been upset if anything got really dirty or broken. As it was, I turned around and sold almost every baby item we have the moment we were done with it. Anything that got broken or dirty I could get rid of without a moment's guilt. Many items I sold for very close to what I paid for it. (I'll admit, I actually made money on a lot of sales). It was a good decision for us financially, but I think I would do it the same way again even if we had money to burn.

KrisM
11-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Other than carseats, most of our stuff is used. The crib and change table came from my brother, so that worked well.

The exersauer, boster seat (instead of high chair), bouncy seat, swings, etc were mostly from mom 2 mom sales.

My kids still get tons of used stuff, even for Christmas :).

ThreeofUs
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Everything but the crib and car seat. Seriously, EVERYTHING.

-Yard Sales. I found a yard sale where a couple of docs were getting rid of their entire baby inventory. I literally bought 1/2 of their sale.
-Mom's sales. I went to mom's sales assiduously - this was best for toys and clothes.
-Craigslist. I lived on craigslist and got everything else.

GL!

erosenst
11-04-2008, 09:06 PM
In hindsight, would have bought a lot more used than I did. And definitely take people up on the offer of hand-me-downs.

I would disagree slightly with some of the PP's - I would accept a used infant car seat if I knew and trusted the previous owner (to insure it hadn't been in an accident). Would accept used crib, if relatively new (ie meets current safety standards) but buy a new mattress.

Emily

maestramommy
11-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree on the carseats and cribs. That said, our crib is actually thirdhand, but it was handed down from a friend of a friend. We also did buy a crib/toddler bed off CL because the specs checked out and it was for our toddler, not a baby.

We've gotten mostly toys, a lot of clothes, and some furniture secondhand. Some of our finds were dumpster dives. It's amazing what some people will toss out because it's too much trouble to take when they move.

maestramommy
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM

I lived in Torrance until this summer. I used Dydee diaper service. They are based in Pasadena, but go all over. I used them for about 5-6 months. Very convenient. You don't even have to rinse off poop diapers, just toss them in the bagged hamper they provide. It is probably the most expensive way to CD, but for US it was the most eco way of doing it. We were living in an apt, so only had coin laundry, and Southern Cal and water use, power use, well, this just seemed the best choice for us. They have some brochures that show their washing and delivery process and it's pretty green. And much more cost effective than the individual because of their volume.

DrSally
11-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't get cribs or carseats either. I would buy toys and anything else clean and up to date.

ETA: I agree that if I knew the person well and the seat hadn't been in an accident, I might consider using it as a backup. Although with carseat expirations, it prob wouldn't last long anyway. I also wouldn't buy a breastpump or bottles used. I would totally buy clothes, esp. newborn clothes. Think about how much those are worn, if at all.

ETA: I also generally don't buy stuffed animals second hand.

zephyr
11-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I wish I had bought more stuff used for my baby. But back then I just wasn't into craigslist, yard sales, ebay, etc. the way I am now. I didn't realize how many different things kids need growing up. If my sister/close friend were to offer a carseat, breast pump, bottles, crib mattress, crib, etc. I would take it from them, but I would not buy these things secondhand from people I do not know. Some things I have bought secondhand are: Bob jogging stroller, Kettler trike, name brand clothes, toys, books, furniture, just because now I am much more into it and will always try to see if I can buy the stuff I need secondhand before buying new. This has saved us tons of $ lately.

Happy 2B mommy
11-04-2008, 11:09 PM
I got a lot used. I got a new crib, but in hindsight, I would have looked for that used, provided I was sure of the make, model and year.

I got used:

Tummy-time mat that plays music with hanging thingys (can be washed)
Boppy
Changing table
Glider and ottoman
Dresser
bjorn (didn't use it much)
clothing
burp pads/various receiving blankets (also got some new)
Graco snugride (borrowed from our good friends - who are also DD's godparents- otherwise I would have purchased new)
Tub (was so small, DD outgrew it in a few months and I bought the Eurotub
Fisher-price Aquarium high chair
Fisher-price booster seat

Got new

Mattress (I was more insistant on a new mattress than a new crib)
Bedding set (shower gift)
Changing pad and covers
Crib
Eurotub
Bumbo (not worth it, but might buy it used)
Jeep stroller (gift)
Diaperchamp (gift)

ohiomom
11-04-2008, 11:12 PM
A LOT. Crib (from friend), 2 pack 'n plays, most all clothing, changing table/pad (from friend), crib mattress for toddler bed from my sister, 2 car seat bases and 1 infant car seat, 3 breast pumps (between 2 kids -- needed extra to keep in office), 2 Britax round abouts from friends, extra stroller, potty chair, swing, outside swing, 2 exersaucers, booster seat, wipes warmer, most toys, hooded towels, receiving blankets and other blankets, sling, kelty carrier. I'm sure there was more. I was not shy about borrowing from family and friends and then got several items from craigslist and ebay. The only things I would not have gotten used from strangers were car seats and crib mattress. I know at some point hand me down clothes will not be welcomed from my DDs. Given cost of child care and diapers/pullups -- I economized other gear whenever I possibly could. Plus, they blow through everything so fast; I would do this again in a heartbeat.

kransden
11-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I "had" to have new stuff for my dd. (except for the loaned carseat and bassinet) If I ever had a second child, I would buy almost everything 2nd hand. (except for the carseat). The stuff costs so much money and they use it for such a short time.

kijip
11-05-2008, 02:15 AM
I will go for anything used if I can confirm the safety and integrity of the item. So while I would not buy a carseat or crib from a seller on CL I would buy/sell/trade them with friends. Pretty much anything else I will buy used from people I don't know if the brand is what I want and it's clean and complete with all the parts.

For this baby on the way we have bought a lot used or received used:

-Travel Swing
-Co-sleeper
-MBUS and Mac Techno strollers
-8 month old KeyFit 30 from a close, close friend (she bought it intending to go halfsies on the cost by selling it to me, we arranged it in advance of her buying it after her daughter outgrew her Peg Perego seat in a few months)
-Diapers and covers
-some clothes (mostly freebies)
-Tripp Trapp
-Glider
-Ergo

Likely stuff I have forgotten. :wink2:

Waiting on more items until after the baby showers/till baby comes.

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Only a second to reply, but I've bought so many 2nd hand things that when we got a new vacuum recently, my FIL said, "Where did you find a great vacuum like that used?"

ITA with PPs about the carseat, crib, mattress, breastpump, nursing tanks. Stroller...depends on how picky you are and if you have patience on CL to find just the right one for you. I haven't seen the most lovely strollers for sale on consignment.

Search the web for mothers of multiples, twin/triplet groups, preschools for consignment/yard sales. I've found that I can be really picky buying stuff used if I hit more sales.

If it is an item that I'll hope to use with ALL the children we plan to have, I sometimes like to pick exactly the model and features I want. If I have to buy an extra one- like another bouncy seat for the other end of the house, I'll pick up a 2nd one used.

lmwbasye
11-05-2008, 09:01 AM
The only thing I would add besides cribs and carseats is the crib mattress. I know some will disagree with me on this one (we actually got a new mattress for our 2nd child instead of using the same one as our 1st), but I would sleep so much better at night with this one and it's not expensive enough (for me) to stress over.

Other than those 3 things, I would go with used all the way!

misshollygolightly
11-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Just wanted to add that I found a fabulous used baby monitor at a garage sale, for which I paid about $8. Small electric devices like baby monitors, white noise machines, bottle warmers, wipe warmers, etc. are generally pretty easy to find used. I don't think bottle and wipe warmers are necessary, but there seem to be an abundance of them at garage sales and on Craig's List.

Oh, and seconding what a few other folks have said: I would NOT buy a used carseat, crib mattress, breastpump/bottles, or stuffed animals. However, most other things I'd at least consider--even a crib, as it isn't that hard to look up the current safety standards, haul out your measuring tape, and make sure the crib you're looking at fits them.

irie i
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I lived in Torrance until this summer. I used Dydee diaper service. They are based in Pasadena, but go all over. I used them for about 5-6 months. Very convenient. You don't even have to rinse off poop diapers, just toss them in the bagged hamper they provide. It is probably the most expensive way to CD, but for US it was the most eco way of doing it. We were living in an apt, so only had coin laundry, and Southern Cal and water use, power use, well, this just seemed the best choice for us. They have some brochures that show their washing and delivery process and it's pretty green. And much more cost effective than the individual because of their volume.

Thanks so much for the recommendation...I am going to look them up. Torrance is part of my old stomping grounds! :) When I first moved to California I lived in Hermosa Beach for about a year. My Sweetie and I have decided this is going to be the best option for us.

So far I don't have anything used but my best friends since kinder and 7th grade are sending me some things soon. So far all I have, period, is clothes, swaddling blankets, blankets, a boppy (no cover yet...they didn't have the ones I wanted when I bought the boppy), a night light, rattles, burp cloths, bassinet, 3 bpa-free bottles, mittens and hats.

tnrnchick74
11-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I was very blessed to have been given a huge baby shower and received a lot of my "big ticket" items brand new. In my personal "will not buy used" list are: carseats, pack-n-play, and crib/mattress and bottle nipples. Pretty much everything else is used.

Where I work, there are several moms that have boys older than my son and they graciously came to me asking me if I would like hand-me-downs - YES YESYESYYESYESYEYSYESYEYSYEYSEYES!!!!

I do try to buy 1 nicer, new outfit every season - mostly for pictures, but so that my son can always say he had something "new". This was important for me when I was growing up. I also don't hesitate to offer my clothing as hand-me-downs or consign them either!

I recently passed along my stroller frame and a bouncy seat my son didn't like. I keep ALL instruction manuals. I will sell my infant seat when we get to that point - yeah, probably hypocritical of me to sell/give it away when I won't buy a used one...but I wouldn't sell it if *I* had concerns about it.

I do buy a lot of things off craigslist and recently went to a HUGE community garage sale and bought some cool stuff for Christmas. My son will get new/gently used toys for the holidays.

My crib & furniture were new - a gift from my parents; but my rocker/recliner was used. My grandmother passed away a few months before my son was born and I inherited her rocker/recliner...it's in my son's room. It makes me glad to have something of hers that I use daily for my son - kinda like she's helping me raise him.

C99
11-05-2008, 03:26 PM
The only thing I probably wouldn't buy secondhand from someone that I *didn't* know well is a carseat. I would not buy a used mattress, period, for a newborn. I would and have bought pretty much everything else used.

crayonblue
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I would be OK with most anything (except car seat and crib) that could seriously be washed and/or disinfected. I would not be OK with a glider/ottoman unless the cushions could be removed and washed or replaced. My daughter had reflux and I know how much vomit I wiped off the cushions!

hillview
11-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I'd for sure not buy a carseat or crib second hand. I'd prefer to buy from a friend or friend of a friend's or listserve of moms a pump, toys and clothes. Large plastic items like highchairs and exersaucers I'd do second hand. Also strollers although there I'd go through Swap.
HTH
/hillary

MamaKath
11-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I'd be okay with carseat, crib, and pump from someone I know well, but would really prefer new. I have given carseats to friends and have gotten a carseat from a friend. This was great because you know its history. Other big items (stroller, exersaucer/walker, bouncer, swing, baby carrier) I'd buy used; they are things that may or may not work well for your child. Mine hated some of the things I researched so much like the swing, the baby bjorn, etc. that I would hesitate to buy any of that new.

The strollers have been a mix of purchased new and used. I found that I could buy great condition strollers off ebay or swap for much lower prices than retail- that made it worth it for trying different ones and for owning some that were not readily available on the market. Great when you are trying to fit lifestyle, child's likes/dislikes, parent wants, etc.

I would buy a new sling for a new baby. My kids have their slings, that was their little safe place, a security blankie of sorts. Those they keep, so I bought a new one for each.
HTH~

lisams
11-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd say pretty much anything except carseats, shoes, and crib mattress pad are game IMO. Oh and breastpumps/bottle nipples, things like that I wouldn't buy second hand.

Things I'd for sure buy second hand (and wish I would have -could have saved tons of money on these things that only get used for a short time)
baby swing
bouncy seat
exersaucer/jumparoo
newborn clothing
high chair
large toys

lissa~K
11-06-2008, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't buy a crib or a carseat secondhand, but I would use them if they were passed down from a trusted friend or family member (we co-sleep though, so no crib needed). Pretty much everything else I have and would again buy used.

amldaley
11-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Things I have bought used:

Changing Table -consignment
Papasan Swing - lejueneyardsales (like craigslist)
Papasan chair - " "
Baby Bjorn " "
Two gliders - " "
Tons of clothes - yard sales
Co-sleeper - from friend
Hammock " "
Sleep positioner " "
Tummy Time mat " "

My tip: wear polarized sunglasses when shopping used. You will see hidden stains.

I agree with pp: never a car seat.

WatchingThemGrow
11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
My tip: wear polarized sunglasses when shopping used. You will see hidden stains.

That's an awesome tip! Thanks for sharing!