PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving!!!

MMEand1
11-04-2008, 09:59 PM
We just found out this morning that we are moving to San Antonio, Texas. I was there almost 10 years ago for basic training, but have not been back since. Anyone live in the area? What do I need to know? We are leaving here around 15 December - so it's a VERY QUICK move.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Mariah P.

Emmas Mom
11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
How exciting! I love San Antonio! Where will you be stationed? My Dad was at Ft. Sam & I went to elementary school & half of HS at Robert G. Cole on base. Love it. Miss it. My Dad wants to retire to Boerne & my DH is seriously considering moving there when he's done with school. I'm contemplating it as a possibility. The only thing I don't like there is the humidity. But the River Walk area is lovely, it's close to the Gulf, Sea World is nice & I think there's even an amusement park there now(?). And BAMC is one of the best burn centers in the country...not that you'll ever need that but it's trivia I know. lol

ETA: OH!!! It's super close to Schlitterbahn(sp?)!!! WOO HOO!! Best water park in the country.

trales
11-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Just in time to avoid the worst of the winter. Good luck and have fun.

bubbaray
11-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Congratulations! You''ll be wearing shorts and a t-shirt for Christmas instead of a parka! :)

kellij
11-04-2008, 11:24 PM
It's also pretty close to the San Marcos outlet mall, the mother of all outlet malls. It's awesome! We road tripped down from Oklahoma, about a 7 hour drive, to go there.

mudder17
11-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Wow, what a great time to move--just in time to escape Deep Freeze! ;)

No idea about SA, but I've heard great things about it! Good luck in the move!

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
ETA: OH!!! It's super close to Schlitterbahn(sp?)!!! WOO HOO!! Best water park in the country.

Oh, cool!!!! I saw that place on a travel channel show years ago. How awesome!

Hope the packing is quick and easy!

o_mom
11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Yay! Finally out of there! No help on SA - Dh said it was beautiful when he was there.

JTsMom
11-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Congrats! I started a SA thread about a month ago, and there are some great replies in it. Honestly, I've heard nothing but great things about that area, and I'll bet you'll love it there. :)

Make sure you check out citydata.com's forums. They have some great info on everything from neighborhoods, to schools, to traffic patterns.

I've only been to SA once, and it was only for one night, but the little I saw of it was beautiful, and people were very friendly and kind.

Best of luck!

caleymama
11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
No advice or info about SA but wanted to wish you and your family a great move! Best of luck to you as you move and get settled. :)

irie i
11-05-2008, 01:46 PM
It's also pretty close to the San Marcos outlet mall, the mother of all outlet malls. It's awesome! We road tripped down from Oklahoma, about a 7 hour drive, to go there.

Yes! There are actually TWO large outlet malls, RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM EACH OTHER! Shopping heaven! :) I worked at the outlet mall when I was in college in San Marcos. Its about a 30 minute drive north of SA. And, yes, you also have Sclitterbaun, the caverns, beautiful *clear* rivers to swim/tube in, and there are lots of things to do in SA too! I miss my kindhearted Texas people and how affordable living there is. If I had my choice I would move back to the Austin/Central Texas area.

MMEand1
11-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you all so much for the replies! We are excited and I know that these next 5 weeks are going to scream by!!!

We are lucky in that the military will be moving our stuff for us, so no packing or stressing out over that!

We are also excited that we will be missing the winter! It gets FREAKIN' cold here and I know that we will be nice and warm down south! Yay!

Thanks again! We look forward to the tons of food options, shopping options, and activities that we don't have access to here in the forgotten land!!

THANKS again!
MP

MamaKath
11-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you all so much for the replies! We are excited and I know that these next 5 weeks are going to scream by!!!

We are lucky in that the military will be moving our stuff for us, so no packing or stressing out over that!

We are also excited that we will be missing the winter! It gets FREAKIN' cold here and I know that we will be nice and warm down south! Yay!

Thanks again! We look forward to the tons of food options, shopping options, and activities that we don't have access to here in the forgotten land!!

THANKS again!
MP

Congrats on the move AND missing winter! :boogie:

I must say it would have been cool if you had ended up in DC or MD. Oh well, maybe next time. :wink2:

jgenie
11-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Congrats on the move!! We just returned from a week in SA. The temps were near 80. It was great not having to put extra layers on DS. Yup, you'll probably be wearing shorts for Christmas. Sea World & Fiesta Texas are great - season's passes are very reasonable. Rudy's has the best barbecue - several locations. I really miss HEB - the local supermarket chain - they're huge & very clean. :)