PDA

View Full Version : It's all over. Anyone else just in shock?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Not in a bad way but I'm just still wrapping my head around the fact that it's all over. We've been inundated for so long by all things political. First it was the starter primaries and from then on it went. But at no time has this ever been easy or taken place with the usual political quiet that traditionally in my adult lifetime was attributed to political campaigning.

And now-after everything is said and done, it's just over. Just like that. And now we go back to a world without the commercials,yard signs,debate between friends and family members regarding candidates, debates between candidates and the hooplah associated with the press uncovering all the candidats skeletons.

It's gonna take me a few days.

ellies mom
11-05-2008, 04:25 AM
It was almost anti-climatic. They were calling the whole thing before the polls closed on the west coast. By 8pm it was over. I'm pretty sure even the people on the East Coast got to bed early knowing who won. We were expecting it to take hours and it was over before we cracked the first beer open.

citymama
11-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Yes, I am still in shock! I am thrilled, but definitely in a daze. And still processing all the details of the election, the Senate/House/Gubernatorial races, as well as the Propositions on the CA ballot.

But one thing is for sure - history was made tonight. Wow!

Rainbows&Roses
11-05-2008, 04:39 AM
I am in shock that it is over and that he won. I was on the Obama train from the moment it began and I can't say I really thought this day would come.

I was at the rally tonight and saw him speak and I still can't believe it.

The crowd was deafening when the announcement was made. Inside the rally we were so close together that I could barely lift my arms, but the crowd was so well-mannered. The weather on November 4th in Chicago was 65 degrees. It was all just so perfect in an unbelievable kind of meant-to-be way.

Afterwards, grown men were skipping in the streets chanting Obama (and I am pretty sure they weren't gay.) Everyone of all colors and ages were smiling and cheering. There was just pure joy.

Yes I am in shock that HOPE triumphed over the hate and the fearmongering and the cynicism and the lies. Honestly I can't believe it. Thank you to everyone who made that possible!

elliput
11-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Last night a friend of mine said it was like Christmas. She was right.

There was a very festive atmosphere with lots of anticipation and excitement- now the gifts are unwrapped and while some of us are thrilled with the new puppy, others are a bit disgusted that all they received was underwear (again!). Whatever our gift was we are all left wondering what the rest of the day has in store for us, and feeling a bit of post-hype let down.

KBecks
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I was shocked that the election was called so early, before 9 p.m. central? Weird. DH went to bed. I checked back in after midnight and saw part of Obama's speech. It felt so unreal that it was "all over" so early, the whole projections thing feels very wrong to me, I would rather have a little suspense. There was no drama!

ETA: I mean there was a lot of drama BEFORE election night though! Too much too soon.

KBecks
11-05-2008, 10:20 AM

There was a very festive atmosphere with lots of anticipation and excitement- now the gifts are unwrapped and while some of us are thrilled with the new puppy, others are a bit disgusted that all they received was underwear (again!). Whatever our gift was we are all left wondering what the rest of the day has in store for us, and feeling a bit of post-hype let down.

We should at least have some cookies then. :) I could use a cookie and leftovers for sandwiches today.

kijip
11-05-2008, 10:37 AM
The station we watched with friends called it right after polls closed on the west coast at 8PM pacific. Much earlier than I thought it would be over but the margins in Ohio and FL and Virginia were not as close as I assumed they would be. And it's not like there was any question as to how CA, WA and OR would go. So it made sense when they called it then. We opened the champagne then and there. :p

mommylamb
11-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I couldn't believe how quickly they called Pennsylvania, and then when Ohio went, DH and I were so excited. Now is the fun part of thinking about who will be in the cabinet and other posts (ok, I admit, I'm a geek). Looks like Emanuel could be the next Chief of Staff. I've heard he's already been offered the job and that Daschel is next in line if Emanuel doesn't take it.

tnrnchick74
11-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm a little bit in shock. I'm not an Obama supporter, nor do I vote based on race or gender.My personal opinion is that too much hype has been placed on Obama's race; Clinton & Palin's gender. It's a first, sure - but what will truly be impressive are the actions of the people voted into office, not their race, gender, or religion. However, I participated in the political process; I voted and supported McCain to the best of my abilities. I'm proud of our country for the great voter turnout. Obama was elected and I will support him as my next President, even though I don't agree with his views. That's the great thing about the political process and America!

Now I'm REALLY glad to get on with other aspects of life besides the election!

kayte
11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
We opened the champagne then and there. :p

I opened some too--but DH is in Ohio on business and DD was asleep so I drank some by myself--even shed a few tears into my glass... Is that wrong--Drinking and crying alone??? It sounds like a bad country song!

I woke up this morning and still couldn't believe it!

Now the real hard work begins! But "Yes we can!"

buddyleebaby
11-05-2008, 03:04 PM

:ROTFLMAO:

Yeah...I was kind of bored...even the newscasters covering the polls closing seemed kind of bored. I was very surprised.

Fairy
11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I can't believe it, myself. I was in my car when I heard at about 10pm that Virginia went to Obama, and I knew it was 100% over. I drove the rest of the way in a haze. I was in the loop at a work function during the rally, and the crowds were amazing. Well-behaved, respectful, just perfect.

I went home and watched Obama's speech, then went back to catch McCain's, and I was so proud of both of them. I cried during Obama's speech. We actually are about to have a president with a name that is clearly not derived of Anglo/Euro descent. Well ... maybe O'Bama. Heh!

Not to brign us down, but I was disgusted that Arkansas voted to ban gay couple adopting children and that Prop 8 and other similar ones in other states passed.

But, the campaign is, indeed, over. Thank GOODNESS. I bought a Trib and a Sun Times, and will keep them tucked away in a nice storage box.

mommylamb
11-05-2008, 04:22 PM
I
Not to brign us down, but I was disgusted that Arkansas voted to ban gay couple adopting children and that Prop 8 and other similar ones in other states passed.

:yeahthat: I really feel like this is the last remaining bastion of true bigotry accepted in society. People should be ashamed of themselves.

brittone2
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Same here. Employers aren't permitted to discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. but government seems to be permitted to do so consistently. I don't get it.

DrSally
11-05-2008, 05:46 PM
It seemed to happen so fast! I tried to stay up, but missed Obama's speach. I hope they air it in entirety again tonight. I did catch McCain's speech, and it was really good, and reminded me why I had liked him as a person in the past.

ETA: I wish I still lived in Chicagoland. Would've loved to be there to celebrate with the crowd!!

DrSally
11-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I was shocked that the election was called so early, before 9 p.m. central? Weird. DH went to bed. I checked back in after midnight and saw part of Obama's speech. It felt so unreal that it was "all over" so early, the whole projections thing feels very wrong to me, I would rather have a little suspense. There was no drama!

ETA: I mean there was a lot of drama BEFORE election night though! Too much too soon.

I was watching MSNBC and they didn't call it until 11, I believe b/c the polls had closed on the west coast. Who called it at 9pm???

DrSally
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I was disgusted that Arkansas voted to ban gay couple adopting children and that Prop 8 and other similar ones in other states passed.

Excuse my language, but WTF!!