PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Furniture: What do I need?

deb.roz
11-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi: I am pretty set on the Bonavita Peyton collection and have a large room for the nursery so fitting everything is not an issue. I also have a large closet in the room as well. I am hoping to purchase this furniture as a long term investment and would like to hear your reccomendations on what furniture pieces would be the best to invest in? These are my choices in addition to the lifestyle crib...

http://www.mybabyscrib.net/peco.html

-changing table/dresser
-hutch (to go on the changing table)
-Tall 6 drawer dresser
-night stand

I am just wondering if I will use/need multiple dressers in the room or will the closet suffice for clothes and storage? Do I need the hutch...is it practical?

Any reccomendations would be a great help!!

nfowife
11-07-2008, 07:00 AM
I would get the nightstand, toddler bed rail, full bed conversion rails for down the road. Also I would get the combo dresser. I think I would skip the hutch myself. I might also get a bookshelf for baskets with toys and books in the same finish. Add your glider and you are set!

hez
11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
On the hutch question-- we bought a changing table with a hutch, and waited to install the hutch 'til after DS was out of diapers. It worked out well, and gave him a little more storage in the room.

We've reused the nursery furniture for DD, and left the hutch installed. I have things organized a little differently than I did with DS, and it's working out nicely this time around to have the hutch installed.

We have one chifferobe & a small closet in the nursery, and haven't run out of space for clothes, yet. So you may be just fine with one dresser and a closet. :)

Oh, and I second the idea to have shelves in the room for books/toys.

BeachBum
11-07-2008, 09:57 AM
IMO the combo dresser offered with your set doesn't transition well to "real" furniture. It always looks like it used to be a changing table because of the cabinet on the side. I'm only mentioning this because you said you wanted the furniture to last for the long term and you might want to consider this if you are expecting to use this for a child, not a toddler.

We bought a set that had a real dresser with a removable changing table top, crib with toddler rails, night stand, book case and had an antiqued armoire. Clothes primarily went in the dresser, out of season or buy ahead in the closet, some toys in the closet, and sheets blankets etc in the top of the armoire, more toys in the bottom.

HTH

maylips
11-17-2008, 03:01 PM
I can tell you that, so far, from our experience, clothing storage has not been a problem and we only have one dresser that we use as a changing table (and DD has a fairly large closet). Toy storage, on the other hand, is starting to get out of control.

Remember that, unless you have a game room, you'll eventually be putting large toys SOMEWHERE, and if you have room in the nursery, that's great. I'm talking things like a play kitchen, wagons, kid chairs, easels...things that are too large to fit inside furniture. So don't feel like you have to fill the room up with a ton of furniture because you will definitely fill up the nursery with other things!

That being said, I like tall furniture (not having all the furniture end on the same plane visually) so I would probably lean toward the hutch. It's definitely not necessary, but you can keep some things you don't want DC to touch up there. Expect some climbing, though! :)