PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone looked at the Walgreens ad?

Melaine
11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
They are advertising buy 2 toys at $6.99....get one free....or 3 for $13.98. Pictured are Cabbage Patch newborn dolls...can this be right? I'm going to head down there in a little while to see.

http://walgreens.shoplocal.com/walgreens/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2593125&rapid=609836&pagenumber=7&listingid=-2090837492

kellybelly0513
11-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't know, but let us know what you find!

Melaine
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Walgreens was out but I did price-match at Walmart. 3 cabbage patch newborns for $14 plus tax!!! Their regular price is $19.99 each so I'm flippin' excited. No doubt a price mistake on the part of Walgreens....

calv
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
that's one heck of a deal! thanks so much for sharing it! :D

sail731
11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Do all Walmarts price match? How does it work?

What other stores price match?

Sounds like you found a great deal!:bighand:

Melaine
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I *think* all Walmarts do it. You just take the ad in and ask for a price match at the register. They called a CSM over and did it without hesitation. My mom has started price-matching her groceries too. If you are willing to go to the trouble that way you can get all your shopping done at one store, but get the best prices from each store.

I am convinced that this CPK deal was a mistake....there's no way they intended to sell these at $4.xx each.

Leeannpk
11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Wow! Great deal. They'd make great gifts for toys for tots.

Thanks for the head's up!

Leeann

veronica
11-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I am dying to go to my Walgreens this afternoon when DH gets home. I hope they stocked up on diapers since we cleaned them out on Sun. but I also hope to get the dolls too. I am hoping to ask for a raincheck and then cross the street to our Walmart and try the PM. I feel like I am the only savvy BBB'er in town though as I walk into these stores with all of my "ammunition" and all of the associates think I am nuts.

I will likely be the first ever customer to ask for a PM at the walmart....

Melaine
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
There aren't many savvy shoppers around here either. For which I am glad....

srhs
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I asked my Walgreens, and they hadn't seen any CPK dolls at their store. They did a computer search for the whole region, and said no stores had them. They said that usually meant a manufacturer's problem.

They also assured me those prices were the regular prices (not a sale) and therefore a rain check would not be necessary. I kept telling them that was a great price, and I was surprised to hear that. I figured I'd hold on to my ad just in case they ever came in. I think these 2 managers would remember me/honor the price if they ever did stock.

I took the ad to WalMart and went directly to the CS desk. They told me they would not honor the "free" one since it's a "gimmick." BUT they said they'd give the 3 for 13.98 price. I explained it was the same thing, but they explained they'd need to ring each at 4.66 rather than 1 free. FINE BY ME!

Luckily, I found a cashier who witnessed the first conversation to check me out. :) The savings was such a bargain that they a CSM had to approve with her key each time.

I'd agree it was a misprint by Walgreens. I was completely upfront with everyone I talked to both there and at WM and came away with the great deal! Thanks Melaine for the heads-up!!!:signthankspin:

Melaine
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I may go get another set of three when DH gets home.

Oregonmother
11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
My walgreens did not have them either, and my Walmart wouldn't pm.

kellij
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
My walgreens did not have them either, and my Walmart wouldn't pm.

Boo! My Walgreen's didn't have them. I'm thinking about calling before going to WM to see what they say. Does Target price match?

sail731
11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I sent DH to Walgreens wher he found out that it was printed in error beause they don't carry the CPK dolls.

He then took the ad to the CS desk at Walmart and was able to get 2 for the $13.98 since they would not honor the "get one free" part of the deal.

Still 2 $20 dolls for $14 helps with the xmas spending.

Thanks OP.

veronica
11-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I casually went in and hoped that the asst. mgr from our diaper problem would not be there to recognize me...I tiptoed to the toy aisle where the manager was working and she asked if I needed help. I showed her the add and pointed to where the shelves were labelled "buy 2 get 1" (by the way it definitely looks like a normal sale on the shelf). No CPK's to be found....but she said she swore seeing them.

So....off to the automotive section...(yep, that's what I said) and there were 2 on the top shelf. I had her take them down but we couldn't find more. She then paged the asst. mgr to get his take on what to do about the "free" one. My hair was done differently and I don't think he remembered me. They ended up just keying each one in at $4.66. Just under $10 with tax. I ran out of there.

I was tempted to try to have my walmart PM the add since these would be great gifts but did not want to get greedy.

By the way-I am in southern NJ in case. Hope someone else finds them. These are toooo cute-totally brought me back to my childhood actually running out to a store to get a CPK!

I am not used to buying these so maybe this is a "lesser" version? I can go to the car and compare to online add later tonight or tomorrow and report back.....or I could try my walmart to see what stock they might have at what price...

ha98ed14
11-06-2008, 02:37 AM
I sent DH to Walgreens wher he found out that it was printed in error beause they don't carry the CPK dolls.

He then took the ad to the CS desk at Walmart and was able to get 2 for the $13.98 since they would not honor the "get one free" part of the deal.

Still 2 $20 dolls for $14 helps with the xmas spending.

Thanks OP.

I went to a buch of Walgreens, but didn't find any CPKs. I went to my local Wal-mart and showed them the ad and they refused to price match because it was only a picture of the item. It didn't say "Cbbge Ptch Kids." But I was determined so I went to the Wal-mart in the next town over and they did match the price, but would not give me one for free. Still, a doll that retailed for just under 17 I got for 7. Pretty dang good! Now I just have to come up with as good a deal for DH's tween nephews! Any ideas? I don't think they want the baby dolls I got for the nieces! THANK YOU OP!

veronica
11-06-2008, 11:52 AM
OK - Here is my update.

I went to Walmart for the price match. Found three on the shelf, and with my luck , went to the cashier who started there today! She asked her trainer who was very nice and went to the store manager a few aisles away.

When she came back, I got a similar story of how they don't price match "gimmicks" and only firm prices so that if the doll would have been advertised at a specific price per doll, they would have done it. I was really nice about just asking them to calculate the $4.66 per doll since that is what it comes to but no dice. The woman was really nice (the store manager was not around) so as another higher up walked by , she asked him. He was curious how much the doll is regular and they scanned it and he said "well, no way we can give you three but how about one?" I took it.

I am now comparing the dolls to the Walgreen's ones and they are different:

Walgreen's are for ages 3+ and walmart's is 18Months plus but dolls look the same

Walgreens both came with papers, bib and bottle
Walmart's came with papers, and two accessories plus a storybook for the doll.

Overall, I like my walmart one because it has real hair and the two they had at my walgreen's only had yarn hair but I paid the 6.99 at walmart. Not sure which ones I will keep, maybe all for gifts.....

Basically the same doll, looks like they just updated the SKU number to reflect a 2008 manufacture date on the Walmart one and it also says "25 anniversary" on it.

srhs
11-06-2008, 11:55 AM
So....off to the automotive section...(yep, that's what I said) and there were 2 on the top shelf...

In that case, a Walgreens rain check would be helpful to any of us! I might ask at another location. Any extras I grab at that price will go to Toys for Tots or a Christmas Angel program anyway. :thumbsup:

et trim

Corie
11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I went to my Walgreens to pick up a circular. They did not
have any of the CPK dolls.

I quickly drove over to Walmart and the customer service rep.
called the manager. The manager said yes over the phone, no
questions asked.

I literally ran back to toys and grabbed 3 dolls and ran back
to check-out. I didn't want anyone changing their mind on me.

I got the 3 dolls for $13.98 plus tax. Total cost was $14.68.

Awesome deal!!! Thank you so much for posting!!

Corie
11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Forgot to mention-

I called my sister in Dallas and told her about the deal.

Her Wal-mart would not honor the deal. The manager did let
her buy only one CPK doll for $6.99.

My sister was okay with that because she only needed one.

ohiomom1121
11-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I just got back from my Walmart. No problem buying 3 through one of the registers for $4.66 each. Then I got to my car and realized I could get 2 more and have favors for my daughter's birthday party taken care of, so I went back in. The cashier I had dealt with was now closed so I went through another line. She went and talked to a manager and he only let me get 2 for the $6.99 each, not honoring the "1 free". No big deal-I only needed 5 total anyways. Still an awesome deal. Thanks for posting!!!!

Corie
11-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I have a quick question about the price-matching.

Are you guys getting your dolls and then going through
a regular check-out line?

I didn't do this.

Here is what I did-
I went right to the customer service desk when I walked in
the store. I asked if they price-match and then I showed
them the Walgreen's circular.
Once they said yes, then I got the dolls and went through a
regular check-out line.

How is everyone doing this?

ohiomom1121
11-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I always just go through a line and show them the ad at Walmart and have never really had a problem. If the cashier is unsure they'll usually call someone over to help, but usually they just match it.

Melaine
11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
just did it at a regular register.

christiedavid3
11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow, I'm going to try it. Did they have any boy dolls? I'd love to get one for my DS.

ohiomom1121
11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, I'm going to try it. Did they have any boy dolls? I'd love to get one for my DS.

Mine had 2 boy dolls. Good luck! They were cute.

DietCokeLover
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I figured I'd try this out as well since I was on a diaper buying extravaganza at Walgreens. I went to 3 Walgreens and they didn't have any of the CPKs. So, off to Walmart. I picked up 3 dolls (1 boy) and headed to a register. She argued with me at first saying that I could buy 3 dolls for $13.98 each. I argued (nicely) back with her and after us going round and round, I think she got tired of the process and just gave it to me. I think she was a little angry about it, but I wasn't going to be bothered by that. I knew I was reading it correctly and she wasn't.
So, thanks for pointing this out Melaine. Great find!

ohiomom1121
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
My sister in law just had Meijer price match for the 3 dolls so anyone who lives near one could try them too!

iowavb
11-06-2008, 07:01 PM
well, I wish that I was as lucky as all of you! I went to Walgreens...nothing. Then to Wal-Mart and got my three dolls, went through the cash registers and the woman wasn't sure so she asked a manager. The manager said no, they weren't the same doll. I argued (again, nicely) that they were in fact the same doll if you look at the box in the picture. She went back and talked to her again and ultimately said no way. So I spent a lot of my day searching for these things, and ended up with nothing in the end. And none of the Walgreens in my area carry them, so I can't get them there either.

linsei
11-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Walgreens here did not have the CPK's, but the manager offered to order some for me. They took my name and said to come back in a couple of days. I don't know if they will actually get them or not. The manager explained that he did not order any b/c he did not realize they were part of the toy sale in the ad. They have an interesting way of ordering if that is true (no reason to doubt him, just seemed to good to be true). This one has GREAT service IME. They even carried all my diapers to the car for me :)

taraalissa
11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Just back from WM- they priced matched no problem!

dukie41181
11-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I just went to Walmart this morning and no luck on the price match. The ladies were rude about it too and that was a bit irritating. Perhaps I'll try another Walmart this afternoon and they'll be niceer. For those of you who have had luck, how did you do it? Go directly to a customer service counter? To a register? Hints would be great!

proudsahmof3
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
None of my local Walgreens stores are carrying the dolls, but I went to Wal-Mart and they did price match but wouldn't let me get one free. I tried to explain that the ad also showed 3/13.98 and wasn't that the same thing? The CSM further explained that it wasn't, blah, blah, blah, but that he would let me get as many dolls as I wanted for 6.99 each. So, actually turned out pretty well, still saved quite a bit of money, even if it wasn't for the 4.66 price.

Melaine
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I would go straight to the register with the dolls and the ad. I think maybe going to customer service makes it seem like something out of the ordinary, whereas going to the regular register shouldn't be a problem. They do price-matches all the time after all. Of course, the ad will expire tomorrow so better hurry!

dukie41181
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I went straight to the counter the first time and thats when it didn't work. I will try another WalMart and hope I just got some crabby people. Wish me luck!

Tinkerbell313
11-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Our Walgreens had them...so I picked up three and went to the counter. They rang up on sale. Then the cashier said, "oh, I have a coupon for you" and took a circular and scanned it. The coupon took $3.00 off. I ended up paying $11.53 including sales tax. Not bad for three cabbage patch babies.

theamazingtrace
11-07-2008, 07:27 PM
got 3, but remembered why i hate shopping at walmart! at least the worker in the toy dept. was nice! for some reason, they had me check out in the customer service dept (since i had a double stroller and a kid in a carrier and couldn't carry all the boxes), so they treated me as if i were a criminal. thanks, OP... great find!

KrisM
11-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks so much. I bought 4 today and since it said 3/$13.98 in the add, I got them for $4.66 each! They were normally $16.88, so it was like buy 1 get 3 free!

I took the dolls and ad to the register and she had no problem price matching and only commented that I got a great deal!

inmypjs
11-07-2008, 08:39 PM
First, I want to thank all of you for posting about this! I would never learn of these great deals if it weren't for all of you!

I went to 4 Walgreens in my area today and only found one doll. Then I took the ad to Walmart and they price matched with no problems. But get this - they refused to match 3 for 13.98, but said they would do 2 for 6.99 - and then they let me buy 2 sets of 2! So I got 4 for $14 and change. I seriously did try explaining things to them as I was not trying to take advantage, but they were firm, LOL!

I now have great inexpensve gifts for my 4 nieces and my little one!

KrisM
11-07-2008, 09:02 PM
First, I want to thank all of you for posting about this! I would never learn of these great deals if it weren't for all of you!

I went to 4 Walgreens in my area today and only found one doll. Then I took the ad to Walmart and they price matched with no problems. But get this - they refused to match 3 for 13.98, but said they would do 2 for 6.99 - and then they let me buy 2 sets of 2! So I got 4 for $14 and change. I seriously did try explaining things to them as I was not trying to take advantage, but they were firm, LOL!

I now have great inexpensve gifts for my 4 nieces and my little one!

Very odd, since the Walgreen's ad was ONE for $6.99 that they would give you 2 for $6.99. How funny!

dukie41181
11-07-2008, 09:18 PM
WOW! I want your deal! 4 for $14! Sometimes I swear, people just don't get it. I finally was able to get to a different WalMart and bought all they had (5). While I wasn't able to get the buy 2 get 1 free deal, they did sell them to me for $6.99 each which was I still pleased with.

Thanks OP for sharing this deal!

:boogie:

Melarina
11-07-2008, 09:53 PM
They didn't have them at my Walgreen's, so I went to WalMart where they would let me have them for 6.99 each as a PM (although not 3 for 13.98, something about how they couldn't do anything "free," but could price match to the 6.99) So, still an awesome deal. Thanks so much, OP!

iowavb
11-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I've been to 3 Wal-Marts, and none of them would let me buy it for 3/13.98, and they wouldn't even sell it to me for the 6.99 price. I'm so bummed. I tried hard at each store, but to no avail.

veronica
11-08-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't understand why some do and some don't.

I did actually fib a bit when I went to the cashier. I told her that I called before coming and was told that they would price match even though I didn't call......seems to soften their argument a bit. but , I still couldn't get past convincing them to sell me one at $6.99.

I am totally loving the poster who got 2 for $6.99!!! Too funny and a total score!

I would love these as party favors and gifts. I forgot how great these dolls are!

DrSally
11-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I didn't try b/c I'm home alone this week and I would hate to run into Walgreens and then Walmart only to have them tell me no. Outing time is precious and I would be so po'd. It's a good chance they would say no, given the odds people have been having. Anyway, I totally know what some people are referring to when the Walmart cashiers get nasty about not giving the price match. It's kind of like they don't want you to get a deal or something. I went to return something a few weeks ago and the woman took it to another counter, turned her back, and proceeded to open the package and inspect it. I felt that was kind of insulting. I'm sure their low wages and poor working conditions don't make them feel that generous toward customers.

grins88
11-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I had no trouble with getting the price match at WM last night. Then, I went with my sister to a different WM this morning. They started to tell us they could not do it, but then we told them I had no trouble with the WM at the next town over and they gave us the price match. They were super nice (I know, I was shocked as well) at both WMs and were impressed with the deal. I scrutinized the ad thoroughly and they are the same doll. I also checked at WG and they did not have any. The manager did tell me there was no need for a raincheck because this was the everyday price. I'm going to do like a pp and keep the ad just in case I run across them at WG in the future.

MmeSunny
11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Just got 3/$13.99 at my WM! Wasn't given any grief at all. In fact I had to do the math for the cashier as she couldn't figure out what price to enter for each.
TIP: when I pointed to the 3/$13.99 in the add, I pointed with my hand coming from the top of the page, which sort of "concealed" the buy two get one free deal that WM usually would label as a gimmick and not allow. She commented herself on what a good deal. I skipped out of there as fast as I could!

KrystalS
11-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm going to Walmart to try this soon. I'll post back if I'm able to do it.

Corie
11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
TIP: when I pointed to the 3/$13.99 in the add, I pointed with my hand coming from the top of the page, which sort of "concealed" the buy two get one free deal that WM usually would label as a gimmick and not allow. She commented herself on what a good deal. I skipped out of there as fast as I could!

That's exactly what I did! I even circled the 3/$13.98 in
black ink to draw attention to it. :)

Corie
11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
An update:

I got so excited from my successful 1st attempt that I decided
to try it again.

My 2nd attempt was a failure. I even spoke directly to the
store manager and he was not budging. I was not very happy!

I was pretty bummed but I didn't want to go out with a failed
attempt. So, I said WTH. I'll hit another Walmart and try
a 3rd time.

I was successful!!

So, now I have 6 CPK dolls up in my gift closet. :)

***MELAINE: Thank you very much for sharing this awesome
deal to us!! I really appreciate it!*** :)

theloo
11-08-2008, 04:37 PM
My 2 Walgreens did not have them, so I tried to do the PM at Walmart. Even after calling the asst mgr, they argued for another 5 minutes before letting me have 1 at $6.99. Half price, so it's still a good deal.

hollybloom24
11-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I was able to get the three Cabbage Patch Dolls (newborns) at Wal-Mart for $13.98 - they rang two up at $6.99 and one up at $0. They kept the Walgreens' circular and circled the deal and the date. The only issue they gave me was the date, and the circular from Walgreens was still good today (it might have been the last day.)

The CPD Newborns were close to $17 at Wal-Mart!

The Wal-Mart was in Framingham, Mass if anyone was wondering.

BeachBum
11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
My Walgreens didn't have the dolls. I asked for a price match at two different wal-marts and was refused. :(
I really wanted this deal!

KrystalS
11-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I was able to get 2 dolls for $6.99 each. They told me the same as PPs that they don't PM gimmicks but I could have the discounted price on 2. DD is currently playing with the "drink & wet" newborn now! We kept the other for a Xmas gift. It's an excellent deal because these dolls are $16.88 at Walmart so you're getting 2 for less than the price of 1! I would have gotten more but my Walmart only had 2.

happy2bamom
11-08-2008, 10:42 PM
My Walmart was a bust. They wouldn't even sell me one for $6.99. I"m bummed!

kellij
11-08-2008, 11:35 PM
I got a very confused girl, who gave me the dolls at 4.66 each. She just grabbed her calculator to divided the 13.98 by 3 and did the price override. She definitely looked confused, especially when she saw they normally ring up at 16.88 each, but she still did it.

Thanks op!!

Kelli

veronica
11-09-2008, 10:27 AM
After I went a few days ago and convinced them to sell me one at $6.99, my mom wanted a few more for gifts so we went together. I was hoping not to run into the same associates. I picked a great cashier who immediately rang up the first two at $6.99 and then got stumped on giving me one for free. I tried everything to get her not to call help, offered to just take two, told her to give me the third for $6.99, but no such luck and she called help. It was the same women and I quietly ducked behind DS in the cart while my mom dealt with it but my mom didn't push much and we left empty handed.

i was so bummed all night knowing how close we were. DH felt so bad , he actually went for me last night and the night manager said no problem. But, low and behold, the associate from the morning was there and walked over and said that they didn't do it. So then it became a huge deal but the associate that did sell me the one ealier in the week said that the were able to sell one, so DH got one more.

Amazing deal OP-what a find! Thank you, Thank you!

dukie41181
11-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Children of what age range tend to enjoy playing with Cabbage Patch dolls? I am trying to "divy" up the dolls for xmas but want to be sure to do whats most appropriate.

Thanks!

Moneypenny
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
My Wal-mart wouldn't do it and the manager was EXTREMELY rude about it. I'm actually writing a complaint to corporate about her (not that I didn't get the deal, but because she was so darned mean!).

My Walgreens was out of stock but said they did have them earlier in the week and gave me a raincheck. I'm not sure if I'll actually get them or not, but the Walgreens manager was very very nice!

ha98ed14
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Children of what age range tend to enjoy playing with Cabbage Patch dolls? I am trying to "divy" up the dolls for xmas but want to be sure to do whats most appropriate.

Thanks!

My 18 mo old cried when I would not let her take it out of the box! So, I know they are a good age. DH's neice is 5 and she and her 2 y.o. sister are gooding to be the receipients of my WM PMs. I think 6 and under would be a good age.