PDA

View Full Version : Good stroller needed for neigborhood walks and mall

aggie01
11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I've spent hours reading through old posts but still need a little more help.

I know that the BBB says not to buy a stroller before the baby arrives. However, MIL is wanting to buy one as a shower gift so trying to find one (obviously I can return it if I change my mind). I am going with the Chicco KeyFit 30 car seat. I also registered for a snap and go. But since I need to pick a stroller for her to purchase, I need some help. My basic needs are going to be using for frequent walks around the neighborhood (on paved sidewalks) and mall trips. I looked at the Chicco Cortina but since so many seem opposed to a travel system thought I would ask the question "what stroller do you recommend if you don't go with the travel system?" Most of the posts on stollers look like they are using the strollers as "city dwellers" so the stroller suggestions on those posts don't fit my needs.

I've looked at:
Inglesina Zippy
Peg Perego Pliko P3
Chicco Cortina

Any other suggestions on strollers to look at or feedback?

TraciG
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
So far I like my Graco Metrolite, it isn't fancy and it's not expensive ! The few time's Iv'e used it I really like it ! I am just about done with my Snap & Go, waiting for a new car seat sadly DS has outgrown the infant one !

BeachBum
11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Long walks and mall usage are pretty opposite uses for a stroller, which is why I'm guessing you don't have many responses. Most people that walk quite bit want air tires. But with air tires you often get a heavy bulky stroller that is a pain to get in and out of the car.

If you get a P3, you can use it like a stroller system/snap and go with a Peg car seat. That would save you a little money over buying both things. It has a very flat recline, so it is just fine to use without a carseat for an infant.

The P3 does fine on sidewalks, but would never be my first choice for outside use. I have a P3 for my car/mall stroller and think it is a fantastic stroller. It has a lot of features I wanted, and has held up very well.

Other strollers that you might want to consider that do a better job of doing both things would be
Bugaboo Cam
Uppa Baby Vista
Bumble Ride Indie

Strollers are expensive. But IMO, it is one of the things that I don't suggest skimping on. You will use it until your child is at least 3, probably longer. What other baby equipment can you say that about?
Mine get used and abused...and having one that does what you need it to do is really invaluable.

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2008, 05:06 PM
My stroller for malls and neighborhood walks is a Baby Jogger City Series, the double version. Love it. Improvements for 2009 make it even sweeter.

ETA: - oh I do have a Cameleon also that is great for those things when I only have 1 DC with me. How could I forget???

MamaBear
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
We have a Bugaboo Cameleon as our one-and-only. Yes, it is expensive, but it is good for long walks and mall-crawling and everything in between, in my experience.

codex57
11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
We have a Bugaboo Cameleon as our one-and-only. Yes, it is expensive, but it is good for long walks and mall-crawling and everything in between, in my experience.

Yeah, the Bugaboo is very versatile, but the 2 part fold gets old. Especially when it's rainy/muddy out. We ended up getting a Zippy for the mall cuz it's so convenient to take in and out. Love it.

MamaBear
11-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, the Bugaboo is very versatile, but the 2 part fold gets old. Especially when it's rainy/muddy out. We ended up getting a Zippy for the mall cuz it's so convenient to take in and out. Love it.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. We live in Vancouver - a rainforest - so I know too much about rain and mud. But for a year we were away, half the time in Europe and half in Toronto. Especially with the new snowtires, the Cameleon was fabulous for winter (which we never get in Vancouver). When our son was born, we had a VW golf, and the 2-part fold was especially handy for the modest hatchback trunk (sometimes, would put the chassis in the trunk and the bassinet in the backseat). Now that we've got a Volvo station wagon, I can stack the pieces if I need a little extra horizontal space for groceries, etc.; otherwise, I place them side-by-side. We've also flown with it quite a lot (international, transcontinental, etc.), and the 2-piece fold had never been an issue. Yeah, a 1-part fold could be easier, but I think the Cameleon has been worth it for me.