PDA

View Full Version : I heart Fall foliage!

LarsMal
11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
I love Fall anyway, but for some reason (maybe more rain recenlty) the trees seem to be more vibrant than usual this season. Driving around today I almost ran off the road a couple times because I was admiring all the beautiful colors. How would I explain that one to insurance?!

brittone2
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Me too :)

We have a little park nearby and I'm hoping to take the kids for a hike there. It is only about a one mile walking trail, so it works well with two little ones (DD in the Ergo, DS walking). The foliage is always so pretty and they label the trees with their proper names, etc. so it is cool to be able to answer DS's questions about some of the trees I don't know as well. The path also follows a river for a bit, and then goes by a big pond surrounded by willow trees. It is one of those things we try to do a few times each fall :love-retry:

JTsMom
11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm so with you on that one- especially after livning in season-less S. FL forever. I looooooove fall! The crisp evenings. The leaves rusting in the breeze. The explosion of color that looks like a magical paradise. Sigh. :love5:

ilfaith
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
I miss fall foliage. The first year I lived in Jacksonville, some time around the second week of December the leaves all turned brown (seemingly overnight) and dropped off the trees. Oh, I thought, i guess that was fall.

So now we try to plan a trip up north every October, in hopes of seeing some autumn color. We try to cram in as much fall stuff as possible...sweater wearing, pumpkin picking, cider drinking, pile of leaf jumping. The boys' teachers were so excited when we brought back a few ziplock bags full of leaves.

shawnandangel
11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I LOVE FALL!

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/43313/2629288080053327869S500x500Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2629288080053327869sNRUDx)

took this outside the other day. I'm planning on taking more pics today when I go on my afternoon walk with DD

pb&j
11-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I live at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, and have been LOVING my drive home from work this week (headed toward the mountains). It's beyond gorgeous right now! On Saturday, DS and I drove over the mountain to go run errands, and even he kept saying, "Mom, look at all the orange trees! I want to go hiking down there!!"

It's truly stunning this year. Wet early in the summer, dry late summer, wet fall. Must be the perfect recipe.

s_gosney
11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
I miss fall foliage.

sniff....me too. No foliage in Phoenix. At least the weather has finally cooled off. :)

elektra
11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I have never seen fall foliage in person in my life. All of my traveling has mostly been in the summer, and the one time I was in NYC for work in November, it was an early winter and I don't remember seeing any trees with colors.
My parents just got back from Vermont on a trip, just to see the fall colors. I'm sure that sounds so funny to some people- going on a vacation just to see the fall!
It reminds me of when my Ohio relatives were visiting last Christmas and got a huge kick out of all the fake snow my neighbor had stapled to their roof. They had never seen such a decoration but it's not uncommon around here!

MamaKath
11-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I was looking out the window today, thankful for the beautiful colors painted so carefully on the trees. Outside at recess a couple of the girls made me leaf bouquets out of gorgeous orange, yellow, and red leaves. I hated leaving them outside, though I couldn't figure out how to keep them in the arrangement.

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I was having fun raking/blowing the leaves off the yard while my "mother's helper" fed DC the other day. Then, as soon as everything was out on the street, the leaf-sucker truck came by. The wind blew, the air was filled with yellow and orange and it's time to start again. The yard is blanketed b/c of the gazillion xlarge trees we have.

I need to take time and play in the leaves this week.

LarsMal
11-05-2008, 09:53 PM
My parents just got back from Vermont on a trip, just to see the fall colors. I'm sure that sounds so funny to some people- going on a vacation just to see the fall!

Nope, not funny at all! I've grown up with fall colors and visiting Vermont during the peak foliage is on my list of things to do! I hear it's absolutely amazing!!

LarsMal
11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
I live at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, and have been LOVING my drive home from work this week (headed toward the mountains). It's beyond gorgeous right now! On Saturday, DS and I drove over the mountain to go run errands, and even he kept saying, "Mom, look at all the orange trees! I want to go hiking down there!!"

It's truly stunning this year. Wet early in the summer, dry late summer, wet fall. Must be the perfect recipe.

I'm so jealous! We may be taking a drive there this weekend just to check it out. We've got some good trees around here, but nothing like you have there. I want to go up to Carter Mountain again to check out that view.

pb&j
11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm so jealous! We may be taking a drive there this weekend just to check it out. We've got some good trees around here, but nothing like you have there. I want to go up to Carter Mountain again to check out that view.

If you do head out that way, not far from Carter's Mountain is the Saunders-Monticello trail.

http://www.monticello.org/parkway/trail.html

You can either park at the top at the Monticello parking lot (free to park, but $$ to go all the way up to the house) or park at the bottom. It's 2 mi each way (but you can always turn around partway and do as much or as little as you want) through the woods, with some nice overlooks. The whole thing is very stroller friendly.