PDA

View Full Version : I lost it this morning over CA prop 8

Laurel
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I just cried in front of all the parents at preschool drop-off. DD's favorite teacher just married another woman a few weeks ago and seeing her this morning with prop.8 passing was very emotional for me for some reason.

I think I freaked out all these parents who were expecting me to be giddy over Obama...and since the teacher isn't super public about her marriage, and it felt inappropriate to be so dramatic anyway, I didn't even feel like I could explain why I suddenly burst into tears. I said it was about prop.8, but I felt like I seemed crazy! I am going to try and be more optimistic.

The idea of her marriage being taken away from her by the state just feels so "Handmaiden's Tale", anyone KWIM?

JTsMom
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh no, it passed? That's awful and shocking. I'm so sorry for your DD's teacher, and everyone else this affects.:crying:

maestramommy
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm shocked, and I'm very sad about this, for so many reasons!

elektra
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM
One of my friends who is gay and participated in a lot of campaigning against Prop 8 had a really great attitude this morning. He is thrilled about Obama winning, and is still really upbeat about that. He said something like, "we still have a ways to go though."
So I think alot of people are probably pretty down for now, but are willing to continue the fight, and are not giving up just yet.
In case that makes you feel any better. ;)

Laurel
11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
One of my friends who is gay and participated in a lot of campaigning against Prop 8 had a really great attitude this morning. He is thrilled about Obama winning, and is still really upbeat about that. He said something like, "we still have a ways to go though."
So I think alot of people are probably pretty down for now, but are willing to continue the fight, and are not giving up just yet.
In case that makes you feel any better. ;)

It does, thanks. I know this is a fight far from over.

LarsMal
11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
The idea of her marriage being taken away from her by the state just feels so "Handmaiden's Tale", anyone KWIM?

It makes me so sad, too. My good friend "married" (not in CA, so not legal, but they still called it a wedding and a marriage) her partner this past summer. It was the most emotional ceremony I had ever been to. Tears of joy b/c it was so incredible to see them surrounded by so many people who loved and supported them, and tears of sadness b/c they weren't getting any legal rights. They really weren't doing any more than making their commitment public. I have always supported gay rights, but that day made it even more clear to me WHY they should have the same rights my husband and I have. I just can't believe California, of all places, would take that right away.

Does the teacher lose her rights? I thought it wasn't retroactive (or whatever it's called).

citymama
11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
It is terrible, but it ain't over! There will be legal challenges to any proposed constitutional amendment. I walked through the Castro in SF this morning and overall, people were celebrating Obama more than they were mourning Prop 8.

After last night, I am ready once again to believe that hope will overcome bigotry!

niccig
11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
It is terrible, but it ain't over! There will be legal challenges to any proposed constitutional amendment. I walked through the Castro in SF this morning and overall, people were celebrating Obama more than they were mourning Prop 8.

After last night, I am ready once again to believe that hope will overcome bigotry!

Yeah this.

And as for marriages already made, I read that they are still legal, but there might be legal challenges. And I find it hard to believe the court will take away a right. At least, I hope they don't. We still have to fight this, but it's closer than what the last vote on it was. So, some improvement, just not enough

Laurel
11-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah this.

And as for marriages already made, I read that they are still legal, but there might be legal challenges. And I find it hard to believe the court will take away a right. At least, I hope they don't. We still have to fight this, but it's closer than what the last vote on it was. So, some improvement, just not enough

Yes on 8 campaign is already ramping up to get CA to "nullify" the 17,000 legal same sex marriages. :mad:

MMMommy
11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I feel for your heartbreak. Prop 8 passing is such a step backwards from what America represents. I really thought that Californians would vote "no" on Prop 8, and I am just shocked and disappointed.

irie i
11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I am so terribly disheartened...NO on 8 is the main reason I voted as I knew Obama had CA in the bag.

maestramommy
11-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes on 8 campaign is already ramping up to get CA to "nullify" the 17,000 legal same sex marriages. :mad:

Why are people so filled with hate? What are they afraid of? No one wants to hurt THEM!:shake:

Laurel
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Prop 8 is still too close to call!!!!!!

http://www.noonprop8.com/headlines/s...ection-status/

pray, think good thoughts, cross your fingers...

catroddick
11-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Thank you that I am not the only one so moved by this! I am so upset.

On one hand, I think about my baby due at the end of Feb., and what it means that Obama will be in office when my little one gets here. He's right- we've proven that anyone can be anything in this country. MY momma always told me this, and I have always intended to tell my baby this. In office will be the living proof. And that brings my already hormonal, emotional self to tears.

But I really could not image that 8 would pass in California. What the heck are people afraid of? Protect marriage? My marriage has never been, nor ever will be, threatened by two people who love each other wanting the same rights we have. I am so disappointed in the small-mindedness of people.

I really thought my baby would be born into a much freer, smarter time. I guess baby doesn’t know the difference, but I am disappointed in my fellow Californians.

kcandz
11-05-2008, 08:42 PM
I am sad over it too. As my friend said this morning, "apparently voters in California care more about chickens than gay people" - in reference to Prop 2 passing.

citymama
11-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I am sad over it too. As my friend said this morning, "apparently voters in California care more about chickens than gay people" - in reference to Prop 2 passing.
hey, some respeck' for the animals please!;)

you can treat animals humanely, and you can also treat human beings equally and without discrimination. it doesn't have to be a zero-sum game. let's not forget that.

i wish prop 8 had been defeated AND prop 2 passed.

trales
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I am writing another check to Human Rights Campaign right now.

lisams
11-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Arizona also passed their "ban on gay marriage" proposition. The kicker is that gay marriage is already banned here, but that wasn't enough for them. They wanted the constitution to define marriage as between a man and woman to make sure gay couples could not get married.

What makes me the most upset is that a particular religious group (their members) put tons of money into this campaign - something like 8 million dollars. Why the need to force their beliefs onto everyone is beyond me. If two consenting adults want to get married it is no one else's business.

There is so much hate and intolerance behind the "Yes for marriage" campaign. I just don't understand.

DrSally
11-07-2008, 12:23 AM
YEah, it's just so crazy that this passed.

pinay
11-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Throughout the election season I made every effort to keep my personal views out of my classroom (I teach Government to HS seniors), but I had a really hard time not breaking down and crying in front of my first class when we were discussing the likelihood of 8 passing. Sadly, in the mock elections I conducted 8 passed as well, which just shows me that parents are passing on their ignorance and hatred to their children. I really hope that the lawsuits that have been filed by the opponents of 8 go through and the courts overturn this discriminatory amendment to our state constitution.

Laurel
11-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Throughout the election season I made every effort to keep my personal views out of my classroom (I teach Government to HS seniors), but I had a really hard time not breaking down and crying in front of my first class when we were discussing the likelihood of 8 passing. Sadly, in the mock elections I conducted 8 passed as well, which just shows me that parents are passing on their ignorance and hatred to their children. I really hope that the lawsuits that have been filed by the opponents of 8 go through and the courts overturn this discriminatory amendment to our state constitution.

Younger voters overwhelmingly voted against 8. There is so much hope for the future. I think that when your students go on to college/jobs and their friends come "out", and their world expands, and they are exposed to more they will realize that gay people are *gasp* humans who deserve equal rights. For many, all it takes is caring about one gay person (a sibling, a friend, a neighbor, a co-worker) to change their mind on such issues. In high school they are less likely to have made that connection yet.

saschalicks
11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I felt like the fact that this passed almost overshadowed the whole beauty of the whole day. Ugh! I want so desperately to do anything I can to repeal this terrible thing.

shawnandangel
11-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Top 13 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong

13. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

12. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why our society has no single parents.

11. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

10. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

9. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

8. Gay marriage should be decided by the people and their elected representatives, not the courts. The framers checked the courts, which represent mainstream public opinion, with legislatures created to protect the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Interference by courts in this matter is inappropriate, just as it has been every time the courts have tried to hold back legislatures pushing for civil rights.

7. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because "separate but equal" institutions are a good way to satisfy the demands of uppity minority groups.

5. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

4. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

3. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

2. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

1. METEORS and VOLCANOES.
we all know that it wasn't gay marriage that killed the dinosaurs -- it was a meteor that God sent to earth to spite them because they all became gay.

I found this funny and sad all at the same time.

kijip
11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
It makes me sick to my stomach.

seriously. It is a sad day for America, IMO.

Edited: to remove picture, since I only wanted to share it for a short time.

StantonHyde
11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, as my favorite grocery store checker said to me this morning, "It is people like you who will teacher their kids that this is the new normal". (He is gay) "Just like race is no big deal, this won't be a big deal in another generation". I don't want to wait another generation!!!!

I live in Salt Lake City and the rhetoric is just dumbfounding. And thankfully there are some really vocal moms who said, "we love our children and we will not stand still while our church tells us our kids are not ok".

I still have not heard a solid non-religious argument for how gay marriage would be detrimental to society. I guess I am just not paranoid enough to fear for the strength of my marriage!!!! (or I am just too overwhelmed trying to have sex with my husband once a week to worry about what other people do in their bedrooms):ROTFLMAO: