PDA

View Full Version : Trek Float vs. balance bike

new_mommy25
11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
How does the Trek fare in glider mode? Would we be better off getting a regular balance bike like the Puky? This would be for a 5 year old who is 46" tall. I'm worried that some of the balance bikes might be too small.

ssjarrett
11-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I can't speak about the Trek Float, but my son is almost 5 and probably around 43-44 inches tall and he will be getting a bike from Santa. I also was interested in the balance bike method. It seems like he will fit just right on a 16 inch, but the bike store said he might need a 20 inch in another year.

So, we decided to just get a cheaper bike in the box and my husband is going to leave off the chain and pedals and make it a balance bike. It sounds like others have done this, so I hope it will work! I figure at his age, he may catch on to balancing very quickly and I hate to spend so much more on a bike that will be outgrown soon.

FYI We bought the Schwinn Safari at Toys R Us today, on sale for $79.99 in the store with a $10 gift card with the coupon on the ad.

new_mommy25
11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I will clarify. DS already has a 16" bike from Toysrus. We don't think the quality is very good. We're trying to decide if we want to get him a new 16" bike, or just get a balance bike and then when he is comfortable riding get him a new, better quality, 20" bike.

The pros of a balance bike is that DD and DN can use it too. But the Trek Float looks like a great, sturdy option so I can't decide.

kali
11-06-2008, 04:48 PM
I will say that the Float is quite heavy for a little kid's bike. My DS was frustrated by the weight as he learned to balance--at first he couldn't hold it up as it toppled over and lifting it back up was hard too.

In retrospect, I would have bought a Specialized Hotrock and paid the shop to remove the pedals until he was ready for them. It's not a super simple thing, but a competent bike mechanic can do it, and it's cheaper than buying a balance bike and then a big kid bike.

new_mommy25
11-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I will say that the Float is quite heavy for a little kid's bike. My DS was frustrated by the weight as he learned to balance--at first he couldn't hold it up as it toppled over and lifting it back up was hard too.

In retrospect, I would have bought a Specialized Hotrock and paid the shop to remove the pedals until he was ready for them. It's not a super simple thing, but a competent bike mechanic can do it, and it's cheaper than buying a balance bike and then a big kid bike.

Thanks for your review. I hadn't heard of the Specialized bikes before. I looked them up and a bike shop nearby carries them. I'll definitely check them out.

DH used to race BMX and thinks he can take the pedals off DS's current bike. We're going to give that a try.

niccig
11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I think at your son's age, he might be too big for some of the balance bikes. We have the Puky medium size and DS is nearly 4 but the size of a 3 yo, he's 33lb and about 38-39". He's fine on it and will be for a little while. We got the Puky as the seat went smaller than other balance bikes. We just got him a 12" bike with pedals and he's nearly riding without training wheels. He only goes a few feet before stopping, but we've only had it a week and he needs a little more confidence in himself. We got the 12" because of his size and the bike store + other friends said to NOT get a bike that is too big and heavy as it's too difficult and confidence decreases if they have trouble with it. This happened to DS's cousin. They think they moved her up too soon and she refuses to ride the bike at all and she's 7. It means we'll have to upgrade to a 16" in about 18-24 months, but I'll sell this one then. The 16" was far too big and heavy.

Look at the balance bikes and see if the seat/handle bars will be high enough for your son. You do have other children to hand it down too. We think the balance bikes are a great way to ride, DS will be riding without training wheels by his birthday in December. And he's very proud of himself, he's telling everyone that he can ride a big boy bike.