PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama's dress from Tuesday night

bubbaray
11-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Love it or hate it?

EllasMum
11-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Initially, I liked it. The more I saw it, the less it appealed to me. She wore it well, it just wasn't my thing.

LarsMal
11-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I was not a fan of it. I didn't think it was very flattering on her, but I've read here that it photographed well.

That said, I didn't like Cindy McCain's suit last night either! I liked Jill Biden's green, and Sarah Palin looked nice in her navy blue. But the red/black number- not so much!!

DH thought she looked pregnant. Guess he didn't think it was flattering either!

american_mama
11-05-2008, 10:08 PM
No, not at all. And I said it aloud about 10 seconds after she came out. Black and red look great on her, but not that pattern and cut, at all.

bubbaray
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
No, not at all. And I said it aloud about 10 seconds after she came out. Black and red look great on her, but not that pattern and cut, at all.

Ditto -- I usually don't comment on what people wear on TV, but man, whoever picked that dress.... I dunno. Shaking my head here.

maestramommy
11-05-2008, 10:17 PM
While it's not the best thing I've seen on her, I'm sure she'll have plenty of ops to insult the eyeballs in the next 4 years. She still looks classy no matter what.

lisams
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I thought it was distracting. My DH said it looked like a black widow with how the red parts mixed with the black.

deannanb
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
my first thought was - who picked out that dress... yuck!

ThreeofUs
11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
but ... but ... it was a cool dress on the runway! why the heck did she wear it with a sweater? that just ruined the look and totally obliterated the dress's lines.

odd. she usually shows such great taste.

overcome
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Same here.....

MontrealMum
11-06-2008, 12:43 AM
I have to say I thought it was a bit of an odd choice, and also unflattering. And I didn't even realize that she was wearing a sweater. I thought that was part of the funny pattern.

KpbS
11-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I have to say I thought it was a bit of an odd choice, and also unflattering. And I didn't even realize that she was wearing a sweater. I thought that was part of the funny pattern.

Yes, me too. I just assumed it was fashionable and I was (and certainly am) out of the fashion loop. I thought she looked fine--it wasn't traditional or classic--a little modern for my tastes-- but she is so beautiful I think she can pull it off.

katydid1971
11-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I was not a fan of it. I didn't think it was very flattering on her, but I've read here that it photographed well.

That said, I didn't like Cindy McCain's suit last night either! I liked Jill Biden's green, and Sarah Palin looked nice in her navy blue. But the red/black number- not so much!!

:yeahthat:
I thought the girls looked darling though!!!!

citymama
11-06-2008, 03:32 AM
I posted this on another thread (about Obama's speech), but I too was not a big fan. The girls were beautiful and the family looked incredibly photogenic as a whole, but what was with that dress?

When I saw the photos and videos again today, it's clear that the effect eas meant to be eye-catching from a distance - it is not a dress you want to look at close up, but it is attractive when viewed from hundreds of feet away in a crowd of thousands.

Here's a blog entry re Michelle's dress - apparently we're not the only ones focusing on a dress on a day when history was being made!
http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/a-line/mi...night-dress/84 (http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/a-line/michelle-obamas-election-night-dress/84)

My MIL's explanation - "Maybe she needs a personal shopping team and expense account at Neiman Marcus and Saks like you-know-who!" Well, I think she'll have that and more at the White House - let's just wait and watch.

JTsMom
11-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I usually really like the things she wears, but that dress- not so much.

mommy111
11-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Didn't like the dress, although it photographed well and the whole family looked beautiful. But, having said that, she's such an incredibly talented woman, her beauty is far beyond what she wears and in her substance and compassion. I hope she doesn't try to do what Hillary did as first lady, because I thought her attempts at 'soft, wifey' fashion while first lady undercut who she was as a person. Nor do I think being a style icon like Jackie Kennedy, as I've heard suggested, will suit her. Michelle is very much more down to earth and I hope she stays that way. Despite not agreeing with a lot of what she does, I think Condi Rice actually held her own pretty well in the blending professional woman with fashion department.

lowrioh
11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of the dress but I think that she looked fine. I would guess that she has a hard time finding things off the rack since she is nearly 6 feet tall.

dcmom2b3
11-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I have an aversion to red and black colorblock outfits. For myself, for anyone, period. It's absolutely irrational (I think I had a bad experience in the 80s that I just haven't recovered from) but I recoiled when I caught a glimpse of MO's dress.

caleymama
11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I didn't care for that particular dress, however I liked the idea of it. I liked that she looked like herself and it seems consistent with what she's worn in the past (I don't mean that I don't like her past choices, just that they're not always the typical suit or conservative dress). I thought it looked fine on her, but the red/black pattern and the style of the dress didn't appeal to me.

lizajane
11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
it made me think of the devil.

(and i like her and support obama.)

elephantmeg
11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I still can't decide. I did like that they matched and totally agree that the girls were adorable.

MelissaTC
11-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I will go with one of the choices from the poll listed in the above blog link- It was ok but she could do better. I love how she dresses generally. I find her to be trendy and downright cool. She wears real clothes, ykwim? I heard that her favorite store is J.Crew.

Georgia
11-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I will go with one of the choices from the poll listed in the above blog link- It was ok but she could do better. I love how she dresses generally. I find her to be trendy and downright cool. She wears real clothes, ykwim? I heard that her favorite store is J.Crew.

This blog follows her fashion choices, and gives details on some of her J.Crew items http://www.mrs-o.org/ I didn't realize she nearly always wears the same set of silver necklaces, one has a charm stamped Hope and the other has a peace symbol. They were also speculating about another dress they thought she might wear on election night.

citymama
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM

I loved her dress when she went on "The View" earlier this year - it was a $150 off-the-rack dress for the "Black and White" store! Agree that she has a down-to-earth, trendy sense of style.

StantonHyde
11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
UGH. I was disappointed--that dress she wore on the View was darling. I have always loved what she wore. She has better fashion sense than that!! I would love to have her fashion sense--so who picked that dress?? DH said--that dress just makes her butt look big. Not flattering for her at all.

kusumat
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
It was such an ugly dress! I wouldn't wear it to my Dh's christmas party at work even if someone gave me $100! I couldn't believe she wore it to such an important event. What not to wear please!!

citymama
11-06-2008, 04:02 PM
One more blog on the dress - this time the NY Times. They have a whole thing on Michelle O's style:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/that-dress-everyone-has-an-opinion/?em

My fav. quote: “I voted for Obama, but I didn’t vote for that dress.”

mommy111
11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
So, can I hijack by asking what the girls wore? Because their dresses were completely adorable and I would love to get something similar for DD for the holidays :)