PDA

View Full Version : Worried...could I have a hernia? TMI?

Clarity
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I have a nasty chest cold...a terrible cough. Just awful. The other day I was coughing very hard and I felt *something*. My first thought was "great I pulled a stitch" or maybe I re-tore something (I'm six week post partum). No...that's not it...no tear and my stitches are gone by now. But, every time I cough I can't help but feel something is just not right vaginally. Seriously, when I cough it feels almost as if I have a tampon in that's just not positioned properly. I took a mirror and looked too...then I googled around and managed to terrify myself thinking it was a prolapsed uterus but I think it's more likely some type of vaginal hernia. I do have a 7 week postpartum next week with my OB but I'm obsessing a bit that there may be something really wrong and I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and maybe has some advice?

Corie
11-05-2008, 11:10 PM
First off, do not google! I have learned to not google any health issues. It just scares the crap out of me. :)

Second, I would put in a call to my OB tomorrow. Leave a message
with the nurse and see what they say. They may say that it can
wait until next week or they may squeeze you in earlier.

It will give you peace of mind if you call your doctor. Good Luck!

Clarity
11-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Bah! I need a new OB. I went ahead and called today...nurse took my message, talked to the dr. and called me back. My ob said "sounds normal, don't worry". That's it. Real helpful, 'eh? It doesn't feel normal...it didn't occur after dd1 and thanks for the explanation about what is causing this "normal" occurance. Oh well..I see her next week I'll follow up then.

Fairy
11-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Oooh, sorry, Clarity. Not fun. I didn't have this problem, but if you're feeling something funky down there, esepcially since this isn't your first time around the block, then I agree that you should see the OB sooner rather than later. So, when you called, the OB said, nah, no need to see you early, it sounhds like nothing? Did he specifically say no, you have to wait? Hmm. Well, it could be lots of things, including nothing, but I agree with Corie that googling is a slippery slope that leads to shpilkies, and if you didn't have an ulcer when you started, you will when you're done. I hope you get an answer. If it turns out that something is, indeed, amiss, let us know. Good luck Hon.

-- Hil

Clarity
11-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Hilary. It was that I called the OB, explained what I'm feeling and expressed that I thought there was something wrong and the response I got was "sounds normal, don't worry about it." I just got the feeling they missed something in my description and then invalidated my concern by not offering me some sort of explanation as to *what* makes my situation normal.
I finally consulted dh - he agrees that there's something wrong. I'll talk to my ob next week and hopefully she'll be a bit more thorough.

ThreeofUs
11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I PM'ed you...

BaileyBea
11-06-2008, 11:26 PM
((HUGS)) Last winter I had bronchitis and I coughed so hard for days that I tore my abdomen muscles from my abdomen wall. That was 1 year ago. Boy was it uncomfortable.

I have been feeling horrible off and on for 1 year now with abdominal pain. I went to the Drs and tomorrow we go review all the results from tests and a sonogram. Nervous as HECK! I think I have a hernia or worse. My muscles were already weak from Gallbladder removal surgery when I got bronchitis and it made it easier for the muscle separation.

I would definetly go see a Dr right away and try really hard not to lift anything too heavy. Keep notes on where and what hurts.. was it after you ate or all the time etc.. . ((HUGS))

ETA: Make appt w/Gastro Doc or a General Practitioner that will listen to you. My GP was awesome. He saw me right away last week and was very concerned about me. He got me in to the labs and Gastro the next day. You should find a Doc that does that exact same thing for you.

Nancy

DrSally
11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
What a c@#py response. If I were in the OB's shoes, I would want to see that patient. If I were you, I would want to get it checked out soon, esp. if you are in pain.