PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Buggy?

GoBlue
11-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I would love to end up with ONE stroller. I am going to get the Peg Primo Viaggo SIP carseat, and assumed I would just get the P3 to go along with it, but the wheels on the P3 aren't at all "all-terrain". I'd like to have a stroller that will do well on level hiking trails. BUT, I also want a stroller that is easy to fold and get in and out of the car (I do a ton of walking in the city, but also a fair amount of driving). Most jogging strollers seems to be very bulking/difficult to fold. What do you think of the Mountain Buggy Urban (it is compatible with the Peg carseat according to their website)? I need to look at it IRL, but was hoping for some opinions in advance. I'd also love to hear other suggestions.

Thanks!

bubbaray
11-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I have an MBUS. Definitely could have been my "only" (she says 15 strollers later...). :innocent:

elektra
11-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I have both an MBUS and a P3 actually. I used the MBUS from about the time DD was 5 weeks old, just reclined it all the way. I like having both. :)
I did put the carseat (keyfit) into the P3 a few times though.

strollerqueen
11-06-2008, 01:42 AM
I'll third the MB. By the way, it does recline flat enough for a newborn. So you don't need to put a car seat in it. I always found it easier to take the baby out and lie them flat in the stroller, rather than taking the car seat out. The newest MB's also recline even flatter than the older models.

BeachBum
11-06-2008, 11:08 AM
The MB was my first stroller. I really loved it for the infant stage when we could use the carry cot. I did a lot of outdoor walking with DS and it was great for that. As he got older it was still great because it pushes so easily and it accommodates an older child well.
I found it heavy and bulky for getting in and out of the car. I bought a P3 for for my car/mall type stroller.
I've had and used both of these strollers since DS was an infant....he is 3 now. It was a really good combo for me. I couldn't imagine either of these being my only though.

If you really think you would be happy with only one stroller, I would look for a lighter weight air tire stroller....like the bumble ride indie, or uppa baby vista etc.

edurnemk
11-06-2008, 11:44 AM
If you really think you would be happy with only one stroller, I would look for a lighter weight air tire stroller....like the bumble ride indie, or uppa baby vista etc.

The UPPABaby Vista does not have air tires, they're foam-filled. It's great for bumpy sidewalks, grass, etc. but not for hiking trails. The Indie, however, like the PP said, seems a good choice. I would also suggest the Baby Jogger City Elite, it is 22 pounds, has air tires, folds super easy... And they have a ton of accesories for it including a carry cot, car seat adaptor, and other things.

cndnveggie
11-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I'll second the suggestion for a Baby Jogger City Elite. I just ordered the 2009 model, and I think it's an awesome stroller. The fold is so easy, and it folds very compactly. I also felt it was easier to carry than some other jogging strollers, just because it folds compactly and seems to stay that way when carried. It also has so many great accessories included - the canopy is awesome, it's super easy recline and goes almost flat, there's lots of storage including a parent console, there's also lots of peek-a-boo windows and vents, and it's great smooth ride. You can also purchase a car seat adapter, toddler seat (if you need it later), child tray, etc.

I've had the P3 as my only stroller since DS was born (so 18 months), and I have to say I'm ready for something new. The P3 does have some nice features, but I don't think it's a great stroller for walks. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone walking a lot. If I had to do it again, I'd get the BJCE from the start. As a bonus, the BJCE fits great in my car. I have a Honda CRV, with a shelf in the back, and it's the only jogging stroller that fit under the shelf with room to spare. Even the compact Bumbleride Indie didn't fit under the shelf!

I can't comment on the MBUS, since I didn't see one in person. But I'd definitely compare it to the BJCE - I think the canopy and fold on the BJCE can't be beat!

GoBlue
11-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks so much everyone! While I like the look and colors of the Bumbleride Indie better than the Baby Jogger City Elite, I have to say that the BJCE fold looks way easier, and it looks like it folds a lot more compactly than the Indie. I found it on Amazon for $450, with the car seat adaptor for $60. Does that sound right to you? Amazon sells the Indie for $400, but it looks like you have to buy more of the accessories separately with that one......

cndnveggie......What year is your CRV? I have a 2008, and it would be GREAT if my stroller fit underneath that shelf in the back......

Thanks to all! I'm off to test drive strollers on Monday.....I'm sure I'll have more questions after that!

:wavey:

WatchingThemGrow
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks so much everyone! While I like the look and colors of the Bumbleride Indie better than the Baby Jogger City Elite, I have to say that the BJCE fold looks way easier, and it looks like it folds a lot more compactly than the Indie. I found it on Amazon for $450, with the car seat adaptor for $60. Does that sound right to you? Amazon sells the Indie for $400, but it looks like you have to buy more of the accessories separately with that one......

cndnveggie......What year is your CRV? I have a 2008, and it would be GREAT if my stroller fit underneath that shelf in the back......

Thanks to all! I'm off to test drive strollers on Monday.....I'm sure I'll have more questions after that!

Did you look at the 2009 BJCE models? Look here on page 12 http://babyjogger.com/BJC2009Catalog.pdf

I have the double from 2008. Love it.

strollerqueen
11-06-2008, 11:37 PM

The Uppa Baby is heavier than the MBUS. And it has foam tires. The Indie is a little lighter, but not by much.

bubbaray
11-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Personally, I prefer the fold of the MBUS over the BJ. You need to try them out IRL and see which you prefer.

cndnveggie
11-06-2008, 11:50 PM

I have a 2007 CRV, so I'm sure it would fit under the shelf in yours too. I could actually even fit it in lengthwise, and then I had room beside it too (not sure if that makes sense, so probably best to see if you can try it out for yourself...)

I was so close to buying a Bumbleride Indie - I LOVE the colors and look too, and it actually comes with more accessories than most strollers (carseat adapter, footmuff, cupholder, etc.), but in the end I felt the BJCE was more solid and sturdy, and the fold is sooo much easier. I still kind of wish I was getting a pretty stroller, but I'm very excited to get my BJCE! I pre-ordered a 2009 model, so there are more color options now. Plus, the 2009 model is now lighter at 22lbs, which is great because that was another thing I liked about the Indie, as it only weighed 20lbs or something.

I preordered it through ebay (worked with mystrollers.com) because then I can get 25% cashback through live.com. Not sure if you know about that, but if you search for an item using live.com, you can get 25% cashback for ebay purchases. You can PM me if you want more info, but it brought the stroller down to $337...

Anyways, it's best to try them out in person and see what you like best. I went back 3 times before I finally came to a decision - DH was so tired of looking at strollers, but at least I'm totally comfortable with my decision now :) Good luck!

eliasmom
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Personally, I prefer the fold of the MBUS over the BJ. You need to try them out IRL and see which you prefer.

ITA with this. I went to a local store that has all the mid to high end strollers and tried every stroller in the place before buying my MBUS - there is a lot to be said for personal preference.

Nooknookmom
11-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Ok, I'll say it, "I love my MBUS".

It took me a few months to warm up to it and I still don't care for the sunshade BUT the mobility and the ability to steer one handed, rocks. The basket is really big and sturdy as well. Plus DH calls it his Cadillac and won't push my Zippy.

I do use my Zippy for the mall and errands though.

As PP said after (13) strollers, this probably could have been a do-it-all. ;)

strollerqueen
11-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Plus, the 2009 model is now lighter at 22lbs, which is great because that was another thing I liked about the Indie, as it only weighed 20lbs or something.

Just an FYI....manufacturers don't typically list the true weights. They shave off anywhere from two to 10 pounds (on some doubles.) I haven't weighed either of these two, but, 20 pounds sounds optimistic.

strollerqueen
11-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Here are the specs from LGS. 24 pounds sounds more accurate. Which is the weight of the MBUS, and the last BJ that I weighed!

http://www.letsgostrolling.com/bumbleride-indie.html

ebjw
11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=cndnveggie]

I preordered it through ebay (worked with mystrollers.com) because then I can get 25% cashback through live.com. Not sure if you know about that, but if you search for an item using live.com, you can get 25% cashback for ebay purchases. You can PM me if you want more info, but it brought the stroller down to $337...

I don't know how you get the quote to be blue so it's easier to see...

Anyways, I just looked into this 25% off thing for searching live.com for my 2009 Uppa Baby Vista, and it says, "Live Search Cash Back... you may get 25% off with PayPal if eligible"
Can you tell me more? What makes you eligible? Who sends you the 25% off? You pay the full price up front?

(Also, I don't know what it means to "PM me," so sorry I just had to reply!)

(Oh, apparently I figured out how to make the quote blue :)

cndnveggie
11-09-2008, 10:14 PM
There are two things to cover. First of all, live.com has a cashback feature that allows you to get cashback from many online vendors. For example, you can get 10% cashback from purchases at the Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic. You can also get 10% cashback at Barnes and Nobel, and 20% cashback at Footlocker. The % depends on the store - it varies quite a bit, and may change (I think Gap was 15% last week). When you use the live.com search feature to find an item and go to the stores website from live.com, you get the cashback. You have to have signed up for a live.com cashback account (it's free), and you get the cashback in around 60 days in your PayPal account, I think. For more info, go to this link (http://search.live.com/cashback/howToUse) or the FAQ (http://search.live.com/cashback/faq). Here's a list of stores and their % of cashback (http://search.live.com/cashback/stores).

The ebay thing is a bit different - I think it's only temporary, and it has ranged from 35% and lower - it's been at 25% for the last week at least... Anyways, when you use live.com to search for something and see an ebay link with the cashback info (which you saw alreayd), you can follow the link to ebay and you'll get 25% cashback on any ebay purchase. It has to be Buy It Now, though (you can't bid auction-style), and you have to use PayPal to pay for it. Here's more info about the ebay-cashback deal (http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html?_trksid=m37). And here's a discussion on a messageboard (http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=846962) - it's huge, but you can see that it's worked for many, many people.

Anyways, it's kind of hard to describe, so I would read more about it. I've purchased 3 things (including the stroller), and should be getting about $250 back! It's currently in the 60 days pending...

Also, just to note, once you've followed the live.com cashback link (either to ebay or any other store that has the cashback feature), you can purchase any item and get cashback - it doesn't have to be the item you searched for. For example, to get the ebay cashback link, I always just searched for Ugg Boots, and then once I followed the cashback link to ebay, I found what I actually wanted to buy.

Anyways, hope that explains it a bit. Let me know if you have more questions :)

ebjw
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Thank you, that was all so helpful! What a great deal!

strollerqueen
11-13-2008, 05:25 AM
Make sure you read all the fine print in the rules of how it works. For example, I *think* I read you are limited to 12 items on Ebay, and only one per online session. And it doesn't apply to all items, just the ones that clearly state it. And unfortunately for our Canadian friends, it says it is only good for the US.