PDA

View Full Version : baby with congestion????

scoop22
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
my 7 mo old is so congested. what are some tricks for this??
ds1 never had this trouble. I am at work and he is home with my mother.
thank goodness she is here visiting this week.
i can't wait to go home. he is having trouble sleeping according to my mother. any thoughts to help him out?

TraciG
11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
We have the same problem with my 8 month old, cold's are the worst for babie's at nap time & bed time ! Only thing really is to use the humidifier & little nose's to loosen the mucus then suction it out, I can't do it, I have to hold DS's hand's & head so my DH can do it.

My DS is also coughing so that keep's him up.

Good luck, hope it goes away fast !

ECMom
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
We are going through this with DD. I actually took her to the ER the other night because she was in a state of panic because she couldn't breathe. They put tubes up her nose and drained her sinuses. They told us to use saline spray and then suction out with a bulb syringe, especially before feeding and sleep time. Also use a humidifer.

We were already using a humidifer and bulb syringe, but not the saline. Using saline has helped tremendously because we are able to suction out alot more of the congestion. Granted DD hates it and we have to hold her head still but it works.

You can also try a steamy bathroom and elevating one end of the crib (or a wedge) so DC isn't lying flat.

It's not fun to see such little ones like this. Good luck.

elektra
11-07-2008, 01:37 PM
saline drops and a Vicks warm mist vaporizor.
Maybe also try rubbing Vick's vaporub on his feet.

bubbaray
11-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Put a towel/thin pillow underneath one end of the crib mattress to angle it.

Cool mist humidifier.

Lots of fluids.

Saline mist, though frankly, both my girls got hysterical at that and it wasn't worth the effort.

GL! Hope he's better soon!

DietCokeLover
11-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Baby Vics VapoRub can be used on children over 3 mos. Has helped DS immensely. Also, elevating one end of the crib slightly. We've also spent time in the steamed up bathroom.

TraciG
11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
The baby rub didn't work for us

kimbe
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Sorry DS is sick!

Here are some things that helped us..

Hanging out in a steamy bathroom or taking a bath in a presteamed bathroom
Breastmilk up the nose and then suctioning
Elevating the crib mattress

This one seems a little weird, but if it is a little chilly out, a short walk always got things "running" if you know what I mean. Not always easy for us now ;) but if we can we just bundle them up good and go around the block.

Hugs to the boys for me! And a big hug to you!

scoop22
11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
i will be heading to the store after work.
i can't believe i don't have a humidifier. but i will be getting one now.
i never thought of BM.. i am the one who always uses BM to cure wounds.. :D thanks for the support.. i can't wait to give my boys hugs..:hug:

srhs
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
:hug: to your babe (who is the same age as mine ;) ).
We have dealt with this a lot the last 7 weeks off and on. Maybe coincidentally, it corresponded with teeth coming in too. You've gotten some great tips already. The only other (PITB) thing we did was take turns HOLDING DS all night in a recliner one night. Every time we'd lay him down on his back, he'd take 2 breaths and then start screaming. If we held him upright, he'd sleep.
Okay, maybe I shouldn't recommend this because it may have been the start of his demand to sleep with us! But it did get us through that night when he wouldn't sleep any other way and the bulb syringe wasn't getting enough. Sounds like a good job for grandma, if necessary.

lisams
11-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I'd pick up some Simply Saline or Baby Simply Saline (around here Walmart and CVS carry it) and rinse/suction his nose out several times a day until he's not congested. The Simply Saline doesn't have any preservatives and you can't accidently suck any boogers back into the bottle (like you can with the squeeze kind). It comes out in a fine mist and shoots up into the nasal passages really well. DS screams when we do it, but the 30 seconds is so much better than not being able to sleep. I have DS hold him while I spray.

Also, a warm mist humidifier in his room, and lots and lots of fluids to help clear the gunk up.

I'm sorry he's not feeling well - hoping he's better very soon.

scoop22
11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
thanks for all of your posts. ds is sleeping better. now all of us have some sort of head cold.. ds1 tells me his head is warm not cold. that's a 3 yr old for you.. again thanks for your support. we are sleeping again. YEH :yay: