PDA

View Full Version : Toy suggestions for dd-15 month old?

mamasgirl
11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I am looking for fun learning toys for my 15 month old dd. Is it too early for leapfrog, or is there another story reader that is better?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.:)

maestramommy
11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
We have the LF alphabet fridge magnets. Dora started playing with it around 15 months, and she still plays with it. Arwyn got interested in it a couple months ago, although she doesn't quite get the hang of getting the letters in. But it IS a fun toy. Dh made up a dance to go with the song and the girls love it.

Otherwise Arwyn (17 months) plays with everything, plus the package it came in. And whatever she can find in our cabinets and drawers.

Oh, the M & D puzzles are great too. You can start with the puzzles that use large knobs. But our first one was with zoo animals with tiny pegs. You fit the hind leg in. All of them are the same shape. So first the kid learns to get the piece in. Eventually they figure out how to match the leg to the correct animal.

Musical instruments are great for this age too. Kids vary greatly in their hand coordination, but right now Arwyn is able to play an instrument that requires both hands, like a drum and mallet

brittone2
11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm not a huge electronic toy kind of person. I think there are so many great options for kids that are educational but not electronic.

For a 15 month old things I would consider (some of these are more to grow into)
Pegboard
Puzzles (big knobs, moving toward smaller knobs)
Tray with a cup and a small plastic pitcher. Let them practice pouring a tiny bit of water (or do it outside).
Books with lots of pictures like Priddy books.
Involve them in what you do...small cloth to wipe their spot at the table, child-sized broom, have her help you pour, measure, cook, etc.
Stringing beads (too big to choke on), Pop beads (the big toddler ones)
art supplies

Dishpan outside (or in the tub this time of year) with cups, spoons, whisk, etc.

I like to look at catalogs like this for ideas:
http://www.forsmallhands.com/store/ (you can often recreate similar "kits" on your own)

helpful website:
http://montessorimom.com/toddler-scope-and-sequence-lesson-ideas-practical-/