PDA

View Full Version : What sorts of things are you "particular" about?

LarsMal
11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I didn't know if "anal" would be very appropriate in the subject line! I am very very particular about a few things around the house. I know I am anal about them, but it doesn't matter much, because I'm usually the only one who does them. My mom was here for a couple days, though, and she just does the opposite of everything I do. I tried my best to just let it go (and go behind her and fix things MY way)!

In the kitchen I am extremely particular about how my dishwasher is loaded, how my pots/pans are washed/dried/stored, the way the dishes/glasses are put away, and that the sponge NEVER EVER sits IN the sink. Aside from making sure it sits face up on the sink ledge, I also microwave it a couple times a day on 90 seconds to disinfect it.

I'm also pretty anal about my laundry, too. How things are washed, dried, and folded.

I know I'm not the only one!

HIU8
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I am particular about:

-how the bed is made.

-the cleanliness of the bathrooms. I clean the bathrooms daily b/c I cannot stand not having a clean toilet to use.

-cleaning the kitchen after dinner each night. (all pots and pans must be washed, all dishes rinsed and loaded into the dishwasher, all counters, knobs, fridge doors, ovens, table and floor cleaned--I wash the floor every night b/c I have a lovely food thrower). Plus, the sink must absolutely be scowered out nightly.

-DH is anal about nuking the sponge daily to kill the bacteria as well.

-how the toys are put away nightly.

So far that's it, but I know I am anal about so many other things....

WatchingThemGrow
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
DH is anal about some of the things you mentioned, therefore I'm not allowed to load/unload the dishwasher :yay:

One former roommate said I do "like things a certain way" in the kitchen, which I guess is that I don't want extra clutter laying out on the counter. It does really bother me to see visual clutter in there. Apparently not so much with the toys and the rest of the house.

The ONE thing I know I'm really anal about is the sheets. When DH washes them and puts them back on the bed, I *have* to have the smooth, non-pilled side. I don't know what he did to his side, but I *can't* sleep if he puts them on the bed the wrong way. Where's the smilie for heebie jeebies?

Davids-Coco
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm a little odd, but I am anal about wrinkles in my bed... I hate to get into bed only to find my feet being "caressed" by the wrinkled sheet. So I make the bed before we get in at night.

I'm also anal about my tub being clean since I often end up showering with my contacts in. DH doesn't wear his glasses in and doesn't realize how dirty it gets. It is a big issue right now with me being preggo since I don't want to be exposed to the chemicals in the hardcore cleaning products.

bubbaray
11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm anal about how the d/w is loaded -- I will unload it and re-do it my way. Drives me nuts -- I can get in twice as much as DH (though he rarely bothers to put even so much as a fork in the d/w).

I'm anal about laundry. Do not touch my laundry. Ever.

I'm anal about how my van is parked in the garage. Its a tight fit and for some reason, DH can never get it right. If I back out after he's parked it, I end up driving on the grass, whereas if I park it, I just reverse perfectly out onto the street.

srhs
11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I WISH I was more anal about the house. It would keep me out of my current predicament! I only have 2:
1. When it's finally (rarely) clean, KEEP IT CLEAN. I practically panic when DH starts leaving messes.
2. DH should not touch my laundry! I am tall and have to be very careful not to shrink any pants and take great care of all my permanent press-type garments. Maybe I have an odd attachment to my clothing. It pains me when he shrinks/fades/etc. something I love.

maylips
11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm also anal about the way a dishwasher is loaded. And absolutely no wet sponges left in the sink! Gross. I hate standing water and especially sponges left in standing water.

I'm anal about my closet. Yes, it's color coordinated and I feel at peace when I step into it to pick out my clothes. They may not fit, may be too tight, but they are hanging correctly, all facing the same way and in a perfect color rainbow!

ThreeofUs
11-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know. I have systems for almost everything I do, developed almost unconsciously to make things easy. (I'm really lazy and don't want to have to expend more effort or thought on things than I have to!)

I used to get kinda P*ssed when DH would go against my systems, but I'm overwhelmed just with nursing at this point, so I've given up being particular. For now. ;)

pinkmomagain
11-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I am not anal about anything....I'm sure my dh wishes I was....the house would be alot cleaner/neater.

My dh is very anal about the bed being made in just the right way. That is why he makes all the beds...not such a bad thing, huh?

MontrealMum
11-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I should probably just say "all of the above", except we don't have a dishwasher. But if we did, I'd be anal about it, I'm sure. I also like the bed made just so. I am an organizational freak living with a very messy person. I like things done certain ways, and I like things put in their proper place. The proper place for socks is NOT the poang in front of the TV. So that when my mom sits down she's sitting on all of DH's pre-worn, lumpy socks. Umbrellas do not go in the kitchen. Boxers don't go on the freezer, but in the laundry hamper across the room. The phone does not go in the bathroom. I have calmed down some, but he hasn't gotten much more organized. Or neat. Or able to see dirt, or giant dust bunnies. When we get a bigger house I'm just going to relegate DH and all his stuff to the basement :)

brittone2
11-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Not much. One thing I'm very particular about though is having the sheets all "organized" as I call it LOL. I hate when they get twisted, unfurled, crumpled up, etc. in the middle of the night. Hate it! DH hates his feet tucked in, etc. so the bottom comes untucked easily...hence my issues. I will get up and *fix* it so I can go back to sleep. I seriously can't sleep if they are askew ;)

Ceepa
11-07-2008, 04:17 PM
In the kitchen I am extremely particular about how my dishwasher is loaded, how my pots/pans are washed/dried/stored, the way the dishes/glasses are put away, and that the sponge NEVER EVER sits IN the sink. Aside from making sure it sits face up on the sink ledge, I also microwave it a couple times a day on 90 seconds to disinfect it.

One of the best things I've purchaaed is a sponge holder for my sink. I bought one for my parents too. It's so convenient to park it and the sponge drains nicely.

http://images.containerstore.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/17097/17097.jpg

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?searchId=16773796&itemIndex=2&CATID=189&PRODID=64999

Laurel
11-07-2008, 04:20 PM
The ONE thing I know I'm really anal about is the sheets. When DH washes them and puts them back on the bed, I *have* to have the smooth, non-pilled side. I don't know what he did to his side, but I *can't* sleep if he puts them on the bed the wrong way. Where's the smilie for heebie jeebies?

Oh yes! What is it about man skin that pills up the sheets? DH thinks I'm crazy because I know which pillowcase is mine and which is his just by glancing at them out of the dryer.

Laurel
11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Very anal about food sell-by dates. Drives my DH crazy, but I will toss anything within a few days of the use-by or sell-by. He maintains that those dates are merely a guideline- ick!

Twoboos
11-07-2008, 04:27 PM
One of the best things I've purchaaed is a sponge holder for my sink. I bought one for my parents too. It's so convenient to park it and the sponge drains nicely.

http://images.containerstore.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/17097/17097.jpg

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?searchId=16773796&itemIndex=2&CATID=189&PRODID=64999

We have a similar sponge holder, got it at Lowes!

KrystalS
11-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm pretty much anal about everything but major about the following:
-dishwasher, I HATE it when DH puts stuff in, he never does it the right way!
-laundry, I hang dry alot of mine and DDs clothes so I don't like other ppl doing our laundry. DH has no idea what sorting means, if I'm ever gone he will throw evrything in one load!
-sheets! Happy I'm not the only one like this, DH thinks I'm crazy. I don't know what he does on his side but I'm not sleeping on it!

missym
11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm very picky about sorting laundry by color. Drives DH nuts. I have about 6 different categories for colors, then of course within those there might be sub-categories for fabric type.

I'm also picky about loading the dishwasher. DH is a prime offender of not rinsing and cramming dishes in every which-way. Doesn't stop me from letting him do it, though - I just can't look at it. ;)

ritacheetah
11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh yes! What is it about man skin that pills up the sheets? DH thinks I'm crazy because I know which pillowcase is mine and which is his just by glancing at them out of the dryer.

Probably their beards.

1) Another dishwasher anal person. DH does it a different way every time. So I load, he puts away. Then I can't find anything because he puts them where ever. I don't think he ever had a set of stacking cups as a kid because he cannot stack things by size and they end up taking up 5 times as much room.

2) Folding towels. For some reason they just all need to be folded a certain way, all the same way, same direction, etc. I don't trust DH with the laundry, not that he has ever offered to do it anyway.

3) Keeping toys off the counters in the kitchen and in the living/play room where they should be. In general, putting things away from any counter (bathroom, kitchen, etc.) God bless DH he picks them up off the floor but he never puts them AWAY. Gallager makes a joke that men don't like to put things away because then they'll forget they have them.

3) Not sure if this is ANAL but I need to have the floor neat and not have things stacked all over the place. I'm not necessarily anal I'm just a klutz. I hate when the IL's visit they are SLOBS.

gatorsmom
11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Oh, man, I have so many I drive DH crazy:

You must wash your hands as soon as you come in my house (unless you are a guest). DH and DC and I must abide by this rule. Illnesses keep me awake at night and I don't get enough sleep as it is.

I HATE hate hate the sponge left in our sink. It ends up going through the dishwasher cycle every night just in case someone left it in the sink during the day.

I am absolutely anal about sticky or greasy furniture. I can't stand sticky furniture. No one eats anywhere in my house except the kitchen and when everyone is done eating I wipe their hands off with a clean, wet rag. I"m sure my mother instilled this in me because this was a pet peeve of hers too.

It drives me crazy when someone wears their shoes in my house. This is especially true since I have 2 babies crawling around the house mouthing everything. Fortunately, in Minnesota with such snowy, muddy weather most people are in the habit of removing their shoes as soon as they enter.

I hate it when someone comes in the house and hangs their coat/jacket/hoodie on the back of a kitchen chair. This is also a pet peeve learned from my mom. We have hooks in the mud room and a closet in the front hall. Outerwear gets hung up (unless you are a guest then I"ll take your coat for you :) ).

Strangely enough, I couldn't care less if there are dishes in my sink sitting dirty. In fact, I've been know to let them go for DAYS since it doesn't bother me in the least. I hate doing them. Lucky for me, that DOES bother DH so if it hasn't been done then he does it. It's one of his biggest pet peeves. tee hee hee.

bubbaray
11-07-2008, 05:23 PM
OK, I have another one: I hate sponges. Seriously. Sink sponges give me the heebie geebies. I use a dish cloth for a day, two tops, then into the wash it goes. DH is also anal about sink washing stuff -- he hates sponges too!

LarsMal
11-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I am absolutely anal about sticky or greasy furniture. I can't stand sticky furniture. No one eats anywhere in my house except the kitchen and when everyone is done eating I wipe their hands off with a clean, wet rag. I"m sure my mother instilled this in me because this was a pet peeve of hers too.

It drives me crazy when someone wears their shoes in my house. This is especially true since I have 2 babies crawling around the house mouthing everything. Fortunately, in Minnesota with such snowy, muddy weather most people are in the habit of removing their shoes as soon as they enter.

I'm big on these, too. The kids eat at barstools at the kitchen island. I keep saying I'm going to go out and buy cheap ones. The ones we have are pretty pricey Restoration Hardware (pre-kids, obviously!). I make DS sit on a towel, and DD sits in her booster, which is on a towel. I have to clean the backs and sides of the chairs constantly b/c they are always turning around and touching them with their greasy hands (why can't they use utensils?!).

I hate wearing shoes, in general, so I've always kicked them off as soon as I can. I had to "train" DH to do this (he likes wearing shoes). Once DS was born it was easier to get him to do it, before that he would argue that the dog was dirtier than his shoes...maybe! Now the dog is gone, so there is no argument. He still insists on wearing his work shoes upstairs so he can keep them in the closet by his suits. Everyone is used to taking them off, now, but we don't park in the garage, so instead of having all the shoes in the mud room, they are ALL OVER the foyer. Drives me insane, but at least they aren't on their feet!

LarsMal
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
OK, I have another one: I hate sponges. Seriously. Sink sponges give me the heebie geebies. I use a dish cloth for a day, two tops, then into the wash it goes. DH is also anal about sink washing stuff -- he hates sponges too!

That's funny- I hate dish cloths!!! I don't know why, I just feel like they are so bulky and awkward when I try to use them. My MIL uses them, so I have to when I go to her house. I know she doesn't like that I use sponges, but oh well- not the only thing we disagree on! ;)

It's funny how everyone has their preferences.

**But I don't like "dirty" sponges. Like I said, I have to clean it constantly and I replace them often.

WatchingThemGrow
11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Okay, 2 more for me too...

Can't use a sponge in the kitchen, have to have the soapfilled scrubber with bristles that fits in the palm of your hand. I'll take one on weeklong vacations with us. It's on our packing list. FYI, don't put them in the dishwasher with soap IN them. They will make it suds up and not drain, thus leading to a flood in the kitchen and a threat of a service call. That is, until you read the manual and remember you've done this before. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=79025192&mc=1&SKU=108687

Must check the boards before going to sleep :wink2: . Sometimes there are posts that answer very important questions that change my life for the better. I can't stand knowing there might be an answer I didn't read.

niccig
11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Must check the boards before going to sleep :wink2: . Sometimes there are posts that answer very important questions that change my life for the better. I can't stand knowing there might be an answer I didn't read.

Oh, I'm so bad at this too.

I must have a clean kitchen before I cook dinner. I don't have a lot of counter space. So the dishwasher gets unloaded and dirty dishes loaded during the day or just before I start dinner prep. Kitchen must be clean before going to bed, I loathe waking up in the morning to a sink of dirty dishes.

Dishwashing rag - can not use a sponge. I use one a day and then into the wash. DH says he can't smell it when it's funky. I can.

DH has issues about how the dishwasher is stacked. I don't.

I'm anal about researching everything before making a decision - drives DH bonkers. He's a buy it without thinking about it guy, I have to know it's the best thing for my purposes. This board helps me with that as I'll search or post here first.

bubbaray
11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, I have those soap-filled scrubbers too, along with another brush that is just a brush (but used to clean fruit/veggies -- goes in the d/w every time I run it). Sponges are like liver, ewwwww.

WatchingThemGrow
11-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm anal about researching everything before making a decision - drives DH bonkers. He's a buy it without thinking about it guy, I have to know it's the best thing for my purposes. This board helps me with that as I'll search or post here first.

I am a :15: mess if I have to make a decision about something without researching it. I'm literally crippled when trying to buy something I don't know much about.

Moneypenny
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Making the bed. DH makes the bed every morning in the dark. IN THE DARK! How can you effectively make a bed in the dark? Well, let me tell you, you can't! I have to remake the bed every morning.

bethie_73
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I"ll post more later, but I can't use a sponge on dishes. I have to use a washcloth so I can wash it, almost immediately usually

MontrealMum
11-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes, I have those soap-filled scrubbers too, along with another brush that is just a brush (but used to clean fruit/veggies -- goes in the d/w every time I run it). Sponges are like liver, ewwwww.
Yes, that...except for me sponges are like beets :) We have a huge collection of dish cloths that get changed every day. Can't stand the thought of germs or the smell.

I will say, though, that there are things that DH is "particular" about, that I am not. Like, touching his "equipment" - this includes tools and gear, making it hard to fix somthing when he's not around; I leave the dishes in or by the sink and do them all at once, and this drives DH crazy; apparently I fold the towels wrong - so now he does it :)

srhs
11-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I am a :15: mess if I have to make a decision about something without researching it. I'm literally crippled when trying to buy something I don't know much about.

Me 3! We should start a support group for our DHs.

jgenie
11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm particular about

- laundry - the sorting, the folding, the way it is put away - I find it relaxing - weird huh?

- dish cloths only - dries overnight then into the dishtowel bin to be washed (yes, separate from other laundry - did I mention I was particular about laundry?)

- must clean the sink before I do dishes. DH will wash dishes over a filthy sink - drives me bonkers

- how long leftovers are okay to eat - I will only eat something 4 or 5 days old. DH will make sure there is no mold - otherwise it's fine - YUCK!!

ilfaith
11-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I am amazed that so many people are obsessive about how their dishwashers or loaded. I am too, and DH thinks it's crazy. The funny thing is I'm really not anal about anything else when it comes to housekeeping. But my dishwasher must be loaded "just so" (back to front, far to nearer the sink, etc.) and the dishes must be put away in exactly the same spots.

And if anything in my fridge is past its expiration, it's in the garbage. And I must smell any dairy product before tasting it.

Corie
11-07-2008, 10:09 PM
The first one that popped into my head was concerning meal-time.

I do not like my different foods to touch each other. Like if
my creamed corn touches my pork chop, then I won't eat that
part of the pork chop.

EllasMum
11-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Corie - this reply is for you. I laughed so hard when I read your post. Here's an anecdote you can appreciate. My cousin and his wife had taken his parents out to a very swanky place for an Easter brunch. My cousin's son was about 2 years old at the time, and also was particular about his food not touching other food. At one point, some scrambled eggs touched his bagel. Just at that moment, the restaurant had a lull in conversation, and a little voice carried over all "Well, F*ck it, my bagel's dirty!!" LOL insanely embarassing, but hilarious! I just love that story! :ROTFLMAO:

dcmom2b3
11-07-2008, 10:37 PM
These are my "quirks" that honestly I don't think are quirky at all, but others have differed over the years:

Keeping hands clean, especially when cooking, so that stuff doesnt get ALL OVER the house. I hate sticky knobs and refrigerator door handles, stair railings, light switches etc.

Food and drink must *never* be set on the floor. It's gross IMO, and an invitation for klutzy me to knock it over.

Laundry must be sorted by color and fabric, lingerie and some workout gear is to be placed in a lingerie bag, and hung rather than tumbled dry. I used to further separate out those things that shouldn't get fabric softener, but I was single then -- I care less now about whether my Dri-fit sport bras are at peak wicking capacity.

Cleaning implements are segregated according to where they're used: kitchen only in kitchen, bathroom only in bathroom, outside broom used outside only etc. There's a color coding system to enforce this, I've let more than one housekeeper go for finding a BR colored sponge in the kitchen . . .

Silverwear goes into the dishwasher handles up -- hazardous the other way, I think, and you have to touch the surfaces of the clean utensils to put them away, making them dirty.

Pillows must be put tag-first into the pillowcase. Not much worse than a pillow tag in your face as you sleep. I suppose that I could cut them off, maybe that "DO NOT REMOVE" warning has me a little scared.

I also don't like my food to touch on my plate, but that's a whole 'nother thread, I think.

shawnandangel
11-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Silverwear goes into the dishwasher handles up -- hazardous the other way, I think, and you have to touch the surfaces of the clean utensils to put them away, making them dirty.

Pillows must be put tag-first into the pillowcase. Not much worse than a pillow tag in your face as you sleep. I suppose that I could cut them off, maybe that "DO NOT REMOVE" warning has me a little scared.
:yeahthat:

The toilet paper has to be hung so you pull from the bottom not the top.

toothbrush must be microwaved for 10sec before using it to kill all the yucky bathroom germs I'm sure have accumulated just to try and get me sick. I am positive my toothbrush is out to get me. :ROTFLMAO:

DH cannot touch me or sleep in the same bed as me when one of us is sick.

and if I am in a restaurant I am anal about the waiter/waitress keeping my glass full. I HATE not having a beverage with dinner and CANNOT eat without taking a sip after every bite. If the waiter/waitress is really busy then I sometimes ask them to leave a pitcher of water on my table.

and for gosh sakes SHUT THE LID TO THE BABY WIPES AFTER YOU USE IT!

Do not touch my child before washing your hands. She is under 3 monthes and if she gets a fever because of your dirty germy self who couldn't even use purell I will unleash my wrath upon you.:32:

MontrealMum
11-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I also have food touching issues...as in, food touching other food. And here I thought I was the only one :) Everyone I know thinks I'm nuts.

Tammy
11-07-2008, 11:52 PM
This is funny, and makes me feel more "normal". :)

I'm anal about crumbs or cup rings on the counter, or food in the sink. And the dishes have to be rinsed off if they're not done right away (which I do them right away anyway).

And I'm really anal about not having any wrinkles in the sheets under me, or else I can't sleep until I straighten them out.

Oh, and at work I'm anal about no one else using my pen or pencil- or really any of my stuff like the keyboard or mouse. If they do, I'm off to get the disinfectant and wipe it all off. I'm not a germ freak, just seems like I end up getting whatever's passed around. Okay, so maybe a bit of a germ freak.

And I'm anal about DD going to bed at the same time every night. A few minutes later is okay on certain nights, otherwise same time.

Last one (and possibly my biggest)- I cannot stand my food touching...at...all.

npace19147
11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Pretty funny to read some of these! I couldn't care less about how the DW is loaded or dirty dishes on the counter or in the sink. Drives DH nuts so he is in charge of those. When I load the DW he has been known to reload it.

I am incredibly sensitive to smells. Pretty much everything I buy is unscented and if a smell is "off" it will drive me nuts until I figure out what it is and fix it if possible.

I also hate wrinkled sheets. I don't think I'm that picky about the laundry but I do object to things shrinking or not getting hung up to dry, so laundry is my area. DD1 thinks mommy's job consists entirely of laundry - I don't know if that's funny or not!

kijip
11-08-2008, 12:40 AM

part of the pork chop.

:p You sound like my son. And I mean that kindly. My brother is that way too, but the trait seems to have skipped me- I tend to willfully mix up my food/mix bites.

kijip
11-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Touch my pregnant belly at your own risk. And I mean that. Unless you are my husband or my son, I will break your arm. The hormones must be making me violent.

The floors must be clean and the counter must be clean. Everything else can slide as needed (this is a big improvement for me), but those things can't.

No point in washing clothes if it sits in the washer or dryer as far as I am concerned so I am pretty obsessive about removing it and putting it away if my husband leaves it.

Recyclables must go in the recycling bin and anything that can be composted/put in food and yard waste must be put in food/yard waste. We have a 12 gallon garbage box for pick up and it is barely 1/2 full most weeks when the garbage man comes.

KrystalS
11-08-2008, 12:53 AM

I forgot about this one. I can't stand the tag on the pillow to be sticking out. DH thinks I'm crazy, on the rare occasion he puts sheets on the bed he will leave my tag stuck out just to annoy me.

dcmom2b3
11-08-2008, 03:27 AM
A long-ago ex and I had our "true love bonding moment" when we were making up the bed and I automatically turned the pillows the "right way." He asked -- "did you just turn that so it would be tag down?" I said, of course, or something similar. We both were smitten, instantly.

Unfortunately, he *liked* for his food to touch -- he mixed it on purpose. AND HE WOULD SQUEEZE THE TOOTHPASTE FROM THE MIDDLE JUST TO SEE ME SQUIRM IN DISCOMFORT. TOOTHPASTE TUBES MUST BE FLATTENED FROM THE BOTTOM UP. I'll rearrange "offending" tubes when I see them, even if I'm not brushing my teeth at the moment. Alas, Michael and I were doomed from the start . . . .

I'm glad to know that I'm in some really good company in having what my colleagues used to call "food-touchie" issues. Food touchie when you're 3 is one thing, but hard to hide at 30+ years old during business dinners. The whole "stack everything on a bed of mashed potatoes" trend in fine dining presentation had me screwed there for a while.

And with that scary little peek into my anal psyche, I'll sign off!

KHF
11-08-2008, 06:54 AM
I am incredibly sensitive to smells. Pretty much everything I buy is unscented and if a smell is "off" it will drive me nuts until I figure out what it is and fix it if possible.

:yeahthat: THIS! People in my office think I'm insane. Our office manager brought in a bouquet of my absolute least favorite flower in the whole world...stargazer lillies. I not only can't stand the smell...I'm also allergic to them. She ended up having to put them in a conference room because my whole face started swelling up. This was about 5 months ago, and I had a meeting in that conference room last week. I can still smell them in there.

I have a few dishwasher issues. DH insists on putting bowls and glasses in the front of the rack first. When clearly it is easier to start from the back and move forward.

And I only use black ink ball point pens. Can't stand blue or other colors. Especially for work. If I'm doing Christmas cards, sometimes I'll branch out and use red or green, but for work? Black only.

caleymama
11-08-2008, 08:01 AM
When I put sheets on the bed, any zipper or tag on the pillow has to go on the inside of the pillowcase, away from the opening. Then the pillows have to go on the bed so that the pillowcase openings are toward the sides of the bed. DH has gotten the hang of the first one but we still argue over the second one and he typically has his pillow with the pillowcase opening toward the middle of the bed. Drives me nuts, LOL.

The toilet paper comes from over the top of the roll.

I'm particular about the dishwasher too, and have been known to move stuff around so that it suits me quite frequently. DH just jams stuff in there. It gets clean, and I'm happy he does far more than his share, but it still bugs the heck out of me to see it!

Other than that, I can't think of much - as PPs have said, if I were "particular" about more stuff the house would probably be in better shape!

DH needs to squeeze the toothpaste tube from the bottom and will re-fold his clean t-shirts after I've folded them to get them *just so* thanks to a long-ago stint in retail. Needless to say he does a lot of the laundry folding.

kransden
11-08-2008, 12:01 PM
The toilet paper roll must be hanging down over not under. Other than that, well I'm a "free spirit". I wish I could be more particular.

anamika
11-08-2008, 01:25 PM
All the hangers and the clothes on them must face the same way. We are so used to this rule now (I stressed it to DH pretty early) that I didn't even realize other people might do it differently until my dad came to visit :)

KrystalS
11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
All the hangers and the clothes on them must face the same way. We are so used to this rule now (I stressed it to DH pretty early) that I didn't even realize other people might do it differently until my dad came to visit :)

I never knew people didn't do this! It would really annoy me if the hangers were facing different directions!!

Corie
11-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Corie - this reply is for you. I laughed so hard when I read your post. Here's an anecdote you can appreciate. My cousin and his wife had taken his parents out to a very swanky place for an Easter brunch. My cousin's son was about 2 years old at the time, and also was particular about his food not touching other food. At one point, some scrambled eggs touched his bagel. Just at that moment, the restaurant had a lull in conversation, and a little voice carried over all "Well, F*ck it, my bagel's dirty!!" LOL insanely embarassing, but hilarious! I just love that story! :ROTFLMAO:

I seriously laughed out loud when I read your post. I feel the same
way he does!! And I love his language usage. :)

Corie
11-08-2008, 04:18 PM
A perfect world would be if everyone used cafeteria style plates.
I would have a little area for each of my different foods and the food could
sit there peacefully not touching each other.

mommyp
11-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I am also particular about how the dishwasher is loaded and how things are put away. I rearrange things he has loaded regularly. But I am trying to train myself not to be bothered by it, since I appreciate anything I don't have to do! So I am working on just not looking at it. ;)

And bed-making, my DH also hates to have sheets tucked in at the end on his side and I need it tucked, so I fix it every day and let him untuck it in the night, at least it doesn't wake me up though.

gatorsmom
11-08-2008, 08:47 PM
:yeahthat: THIS! People in my office think I'm insane. Our office manager brought in a bouquet of my absolute least favorite flower in the whole world...stargazer lillies. I not only can't stand the smell...I'm also allergic to them. She ended up having to put them in a conference room because my whole face started swelling up. This was about 5 months ago, and I had a meeting in that conference room last week. I can still smell them in there.

Mmmm... stargazer lilies are my favorite flower in the world with lilacs being a close second. Different strokes....

kijip
11-09-2008, 12:17 AM

We have some for T for his lunches at home, mostly because he thinks they are really cool. :D You should get some. :wink2:

MontrealMum
11-09-2008, 12:23 AM
We have some too...I stopped using them because they were "bad" plastic, not because DH was mocking me ;)

Corie
11-09-2008, 01:44 AM
We have some for T for his lunches at home, mostly because he thinks they are really cool. :D You should get some. :wink2:

I have some!! :)

Neatfreak
11-09-2008, 02:06 AM
I cannot leave dishes in the sink overnight, and I also need my bedsheets tucked in ...

KHF
11-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Mmmm... stargazer lilies are my favorite flower in the world with lilacs being a close second. Different strokes....

I might be less inclined to detest them if my face didn't swell up like a bright red balloon when I'm within 100 yards of them! They are very beautiful, but the smell is just too much for me! I'm allergic to all lillies.

Twoboos
11-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Add me to the dishwasher-particular list! I have been known to reload once DH says it's "full" with 10 items.

I must wear yellow rubber gloves when washing dishes by hand. My hands would be bleeding dry without them!

I must put on chapstick each night before bed. It will bug me to no end if I forget or don't have any when we travel.

Corie
11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I might be less inclined to detest them if my face didn't swell up like a bright red balloon when I'm within 100 yards of them! They are very beautiful, but the smell is just too much for me! I'm allergic to all lillies.

My super good friend used these lilies in her flowers at her wedding.
Since I was the maid of honor, I had to carry some flowers with
the lilies in my arrangement. I got the hugest migraine ever.
I could feel it coming as soon as I sniffed the church and all the
flowers.

elephantmeg
11-09-2008, 02:58 PM

Um, yeah. I picked stargazer lilies for my wedding by seeing them in a picture. I had never smelled one. I'm allergic. Thankfully I wasn't carrying them-just the bridesmaids. If a patient has a bouquet with them in it in their room you can be sure I will be spending very little time in there!

elephantmeg
11-09-2008, 03:01 PM

I have some corelle ones that I got from amazon for that very reason-not me, I'm a mixer but DH and DS.... you should check them out!

MelissaTC
11-09-2008, 03:31 PM

part of the pork chop.

I am the same exact way. Poor M is following in my footsteps.

I also hate eating certain foods on paper plates and using plastic utensils. I don't mind a sandwich or if we are at a party, but my parents insist on using paper plates for breakfast & lunch and some foods for me are not paper plate foods.

I also can not stand styrofoam plates and will avoid them at all costs.

I like my towels folded a certain way as well as my undies. I will redo if necessary.

All utensils must be organized by type in the dishwasher. DH drives me batty because he will mix them all up. I want to cringe putting them away when they are not organized. UGH!