PDA

View Full Version : Toddler runny nose

rlu
11-07-2008, 06:04 PM
His nose has been running nonstop all day. I prefer not to medicate when possible, however we've gone through half a box of tissue and most of the cloth wipes I pulled out to use instead.

Part of the issue is that DS wants to "do it myself" and blows once or twice and then throws the tissue away. For that reason I pulled out the old cloth wipes and he's been using those as a handkerchief and tossing in a paper bag I plan to dump directly into the washer with bleach.

How do you stop a runny nose? I think this is the beginning of a cold, vs allergies, if it matters.

bubbaray
11-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I actually don't try to stop it, I encourage the "blowing". I have them use kleenex. I'd rather they got the, er, fluid out of their system by blowing rather than end up with a sinus infection.

HTH

hillview
11-07-2008, 08:24 PM
DS has been in snot city for a week. UGGGGG. I just keep tissues in every pocket and have him wipe/blow as possible. Shirts have suffered the snot drip! YUCK.
/hillary

maestramommy
11-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I just get Dora to blow as much as possible. She's not able to do it herself yet, So when I hold the tissue, I keep encouraging to blow with, 'one more time" one more time, really hard!" Sorta cheering her on, y'know? It's been snot city for both kids this week, yuck!

lizajane
11-07-2008, 10:07 PM
neti pot? would you be able to get a toddler to use it?

saline spray.

steam up the bathroom and try to get it to drain out?

infocrazy
11-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I always have DS1 try to blow my hand off. I hold the tissue and he keeps trying until I think he's done and my hand blows off!

Aside from that I LOVE Vick's baby vaporub and we have had really good success with the Pediacare vapor plugs at night.

rlu
11-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks all for comments. I agree about getting it out, just frustrated at the general situation.

DS will NOT do saline spray - run away if he sees it. It takes DH and I to get the darn stuff up his nose and then he immediately tries to blow it out. And to do that I have to sit on his chest to negate his arms and legs while DH holds his head straight. It's horrible.

I think DH did do the steamy bathroom with him yesterday. We'll be diggin out the vaporizor (I know some of you only do cold mist) with the euctalyptus (sp? what koalas eat) tonight, plus the "love rub" (baby vaporub). We're elevating the head of his toddle bed tonight as well.

I love the idea of DS "blowing off my hand". I will definitely try that tactic since we are still going through tissue like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks all for the support!

bubbaray
11-08-2008, 12:54 PM
We go through a lot of Kleenex.

FWIW, both my girls started to learn how to blow their noses around 12m (daycare provider taught them). They were both able to blow their noses "on demand" by ~ 18m.

rlu
11-08-2008, 02:22 PM
We go through a lot of Kleenex.

FWIW, both my girls started to learn how to blow their noses around 12m (daycare provider taught them). They were both able to blow their noses "on demand" by ~ 18m.

Oh, he knows how to blow, he just doesn't want to, because, you know, he's 4 and if I want him to do it, he won't until he makes it his decision to do it.