PDA

View Full Version : Have to give idea of salary per hour for research assistant.

niccig
11-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Further on from older posts about me working part-time at the museum.
They want me to give a figure for how much I want to get paid per hour. I have no idea. I've searched for research assistant jobs and salary ranges from $14-$30 per hour, but some of those positions are very different either college student or high level clinical research. This would be at a non-profit museum, and I know they pay less than at universities. I used to be a librarian and earned about $25 an hour + benefits. Part-time librarians in my area are $20-25 an hour - depends on library, community college is less than university etc.

We talked about the first research project - evaluation of hands-on exhibits at local museums for 0-5 year olds, and to please take DS along. She wants me to be a secret shopper and see what everyone else in the area is doing. I'm assuming I should get reimbursed for the entrance fees?? The evaluation is more in-depth than just my reaction, survey of museum education literature etc. She wants an idea of what is being done nationally, what the trends are etc. But what fun for DS to go to all these places - some we've already been too, but others are new to us and I get paid to take him there.

Any thoughts or advice, please...

Nicci

WatchingThemGrow
11-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I have no idea. My research assistant position in grad school was like $5/hour a few years ago. I guess it included health insurance, though, so that made it MUCH more valuable.

Whatever the case, you didn't tell us HOW COOL the job sounds! That sounds like a rockin' time for you and DS!

pinkmomagain
11-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Well, first off, I would maybe give a range...you don't want to under or over sell yourself. Since the research you've done resulted in a range of $14-$30, let's take a closer look at that. Now I may be wrong, but it sounds as if this is a new field for you. If so, I would come down from that $30 end a bit. At the same time, it sounds like you are educated and if I remember correctly, you've been volunteering there for awhile so you're not just a novice off the street, so I'd come up from that $14 end a bit.....Maybe $18-$25/hr?

Please takes this where it's coming from though, I've been out of the workforce for 9 years now!

niccig
11-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Whatever the case, you didn't tell us HOW COOL the job sounds! That sounds like a rockin' time for you and DS!

I didn't think it would be this cool. There will be plenty of other research projects for her that will be dull and boring. They're doing a major overhaul of all the exhibits plus renovating the building. She said she has no one to do any research, and I can do that standing on my head. It'll be casual work. Sometimes she'll have a project and other times she won't. We're still trying to work out the details.

niccig
11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, first off, I would maybe give a range...you don't want to under or over sell yourself. Since the research you've done resulted in a range of $14-$30, let's take a closer look at that. Now I may be wrong, but it sounds as if this is a new field for you. If so, I would come down from that $30 end a bit. At the same time, it sounds like you are educated and if I remember correctly, you've been volunteering there for awhile so you're not just a novice off the street, so I'd come up from that $14 end a bit.....Maybe $18-$25/hr?

Please takes this where it's coming from though, I've been out of the workforce for 9 years now!

I thought of giving a range too. I was a reference librarian for several years, so the research side of the job is very easy for me, but I've never worked in a museum. I have provided research for a project team, but again it was at a university. I've written research papers with her, so she does know me and knows what I'm capable of. I don't want to underprice or oversell. I do know she used to pay someone in Chicago to do some research and it was very expensive.

Ceepa
11-07-2008, 07:58 PM

:yeahthat:

MontrealMum
11-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Most universities have a set range for what profs. pay their graduate students, not sure if it's set by the university or the graduate students union. You should be able to find it on the Graduate Student Association website for your profs. school. It also depends on your qualifications and experience. For instance, when I was doing history research, I was initially paid in the low $20s per hour, but because of my expertise and advanced doctoral standing it was raised to $30. The profs. other assistants did not make that much. Now, I am doing research in library school for one of my profs and only make $15/hr. Big dip, but I'm doing it for the experience and cv., not the money. The lower rate is because I'm only registered as a Master's student in that program, and new to the field. Also, whatever the rate, you claim expenses. Bus tickets to and from, gas, paper, photocopies, entrance fees etc. Your department may have a form for itemizing all these things. If I were you, I'd try to find out what someone with an MA, working on a PhD. gets paid, since that's about equivalent to your level. It will put you closer to the top, but probably not right at the top of the range. For the low end, you should get at least $15, as that's what entry-level MA students make and you're above that.

motherofone
11-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I've worked in several museums and they pay very little-even for people with advanced degrees. At my last job four years ago, nobody on my team made more than $20/hour-and we all had PhD's. I recently applied for a full-time job which required a masters and several years experience and they were offering 35,000-39,000/year (but with good bennies-I didn't get it and am very very sad but that is another post.) If the money is coming from a specific grant the salary should have been written in and might be higher. I would expect $15/hour or so but would put in a range of $15-$25 and hope for the best.

brittone2
11-07-2008, 11:13 PM
DH is pursuing his PhD (chemistry) and makes a bit over 20K per year as a research assistant. He "works" a normal 40ish hour work week...no classes or anything. He had 2 years of classes and TA duties, but the last 3 years of his 5ish year program for his PhD is just research...no teaching, no classes.

Different field, but maybe that helps. Most programs in his field paid 20-25K.

npace19147
11-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Saw this and thought of your post, don't know if this would have anything helpful:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/jobs/how-to/negotiate_salary.html#

Congrats on the job, the initial project sounds like fun!

juliasmom05
11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Graduate students where I work receive a stipend of around 27K. I can't remember the exact figure, but it's around the going rate at most major Universities. GL!

Marci

ThreeofUs
11-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Are you going to be employed by them, or a contractor? Employees give up wages for lt security and benefits. Contractors are expected to charge a good bit more (like 2 or 3 times employee wages) even for ngo's.

If you're a contractor, $25/hr plus expenses is not too much to start the negotiation. Tell her you're willing to work with her, but don't feel you're overcharging - especially if you're taking your child.