PDA

View Full Version : Play area flooring advice needed

tnrnchick74
11-07-2008, 11:02 PM
My house has tile floors throughout - great for cleaning, but rough on baby's legs & feet. My son loves to jump in his jumperoo and I worry about his joints as he get going. So, my thought is to put some sort of flooring down in a part of the living room to help cushion his jumping/crawling. I'm kind of thinking about something like the foam "puzzle flooring" like this:
http://kidsstuff.stores.yahoo.net/t129.html

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Is there a better brand? What things should I look for? Any other ideas? Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
11-08-2008, 08:12 AM
They have that stuff at Sam's. Also check out FLOR if you want something a little bit more comfy, but easier to look at. It isn't cushiony like the foam mats, but it is something. We have it over concrete, and it is okay. Not ideal for head-bonking falls, but what is?

KrystalS
11-08-2008, 11:52 AM
This is a little pricey but very cute
http://skiphop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SH&Category_Code=HN&Product_Code=242000

Wife_and_mommy
11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I had that alphamat with #1. It was easy to stay in one room with her.

With #2 it lasted about a day before he was all over the hard floor so the mat was useless.

Looking back an area rug would have been more useful than the mat.

irie i
11-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Also check out FLOR if you want something a little bit more comfy, but easier to look at. It isn't cushiony like the foam mats, but it is something. We have it over concrete, and it is okay. Not ideal for head-bonking falls, but what is?

We had Flor over hardwood flooring in our living room. We got rid of it after about 6 months. The idea of it is great...you can take the tiles up one by one for cleaning any spills and such - but sadly they didn't clean well. My sister came for a visit and her son spilled milk on one of the tiles. We cleaned it as recommended immediately but it stained and the fibers came up. In the beach communities of Southern California we tend to keep windows open which means we need frequent floor cleaning. The edges of the tiles stayed perpetually dirty and when we tried to clean them the fibers came up. The style we had is also very, very thin and not ideal for a children's space. We loved the idea of Flor but they just did not work out at all for us, as much as we wanted them to.

WatchingThemGrow
11-08-2008, 03:02 PM
We had Flor over hardwood flooring in our living room. We got rid of it after about 6 months. The idea of it is great...you can take the tiles up one by one for cleaning any spills and such - but sadly they didn't clean well. My sister came for a visit and her son spilled milk on one of the tiles. We cleaned it as recommended immediately but it stained and the fibers came up. In the beach communities of Southern California we tend to keep windows open which means we need frequent floor cleaning. The edges of the tiles stayed perpetually dirty and when we tried to clean them the fibers came up. The style we had is also very, very thin and not ideal for a children's space. We loved the idea of Flor but they just did not work out at all for us, as much as we wanted them to.

That's a bummer. We have them in our mudroom/laundry room that is also a bit of a playroom. We've had no problem cleaning them like when I let the whole container of blue detergent soak into 1/2 the room. They've been fine for the 2.5 years we've had them. We use it wall-to-wall. I dunno if that helps in some way?

I like the Skip Hop flooring. It is cute!

irie i
11-08-2008, 06:45 PM
That's a bummer. We have them in our mudroom/laundry room that is also a bit of a playroom. We've had no problem cleaning them like when I let the whole container of blue detergent soak into 1/2 the room. They've been fine for the 2.5 years we've had them. We use it wall-to-wall. I dunno if that helps in some way?

I like the Skip Hop flooring. It is cute!

Lucky for you! We must have had different styles. We used ours as more of a rug...not wall-to-wall as we have hardwood flooring that we like...we just didn't want it getting scratched up by our coffee table. :) It was also a beige color which wasn't the brightest idea I suppose! lol