PDA

View Full Version : Did you gain more weight with subsequent pregnancies?

arivecchi
11-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I gained 35-38 pounds with DS #1, which was not too bad because I started at a pretty low weight. I never lost the last 10 pounds after DS #1 was born and have gained about 25-27 pounds already by week 27. Is it normal to gain weight at a more rapid pace during subsequent pregnacies? I'm scared that I will end up gaining too much weight and already look the way I did at the very end of my first pregnancy. It's depressing! Any advice? Should I just not worry about it or should I look for ways to curb the weight gain at this stage?

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I gained more with ds2. I gained 27lbs with ds1 and 40lbs with ds2. I blame it on my love of chocolate milk with ds2 though. :) Just eat well and exercise- basically be healthy- and let things fall how they will. I have lost 47lbs since ds was born. I had lost the 1st 40 by the time he was 6m old and the rest in more recent months. Breastfeeding works well for me. :)

Beth

kijip
11-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I've only lost weight with this pregnancy. My baby is growing nicely but I have been very sick/nauseated the whole time. I lost a fair bit of weight into the end of the 2nd trimester and have not gained any back. With Toby I gained about 20 pounds or so (lost in my 1st trimester and gained slowly in my 2nd and 3rd trimesters) But I was not nauseated with him at all.

It's not a weight loss I recommend, LOL. I am into my 3rd trimester and have vomited 3 times today. Ugh.

zephyr
11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Well I don't have a second dc yet, but what I did notice with my friends/family that many people did gain more with the second. Some substantially more and a lot of them complained that they didn't do anything differently with the second pregnancy but still put on a lot more weight. I don't know why that happens to some people- they exercise and eat healthy throughout their second pregnancies but still gain way more than they did the first time around...

KrisM
11-08-2008, 12:39 AM
I think as long as you're eating well and getting some exercise, it all works out.

Personally, I gained 48lbs with DS1, 33 lbs with DD, and 25 lbs with DS2. Not sure why, other than I never sat down during the third one!

Aishe
11-08-2008, 03:35 AM
I gained 40lbs total with dd and lost all of it by 4 months post-partum. I am now 28 weeks pregnant and have gained 50 - that's right, 50 - lbs so far. It's pretty horrifying to me. I am eating far less this time around (I'm just not ravenous the way I was with dd) so I have no explanation for it. I'm just trying to stay zen about it and hopefully it will come off as easily as it did last time.

KHF
11-08-2008, 06:39 AM
I gained 60 (!!) pounds with the first one, and at 33 weeks with this one I'm only (?) up 26 so far. I'm considering it a victory :)

With DD, I was nauseous the entire pregnancy and the site of a salad made me sick. I ate nothing but carbs. With this one, the nausea was worse, but only in the first trimester. They put me on anti-nausea meds, and so I was able to eat a more balanced diet.

WatchingThemGrow
11-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I think as long as you're eating well and getting some exercise, it all works out.

Personally, I gained 48lbs with DS1, 33 lbs with DD, and 25 lbs with DS2. Not sure why, other than I never sat down during the third one!

I followed this for #1, 2. 51 lbs w/DD, 35 lbs with DS, and I'm 9 wks with #3. Since I've eaten cheese sticks and corn dogs and spaghettios and Ovaltine trying to keep nausea at bay, I'm not hopeful. Soon, though, I hope to get up off the couch and walk with the stroller daily.

My OB didn't seem concerned. I think she gained something like 70 or 80 lbs with each of hers and you'd NEVER know.

caleymama
11-08-2008, 07:39 AM
I gained the exact same with both DDs - about 40 lbs. I even had the same 10lb weight gain spurt at the same time with both. Similar cravings, too.

KpbS
11-08-2008, 08:55 AM
With DS1 I gained 20 lbs and exercised regularly. DS2 I gained about 30. It was a much harder pregnancy--I was sick w/ the flu and gi bug and bronchitis for the last trimester and didn't exercise. The weight came off--it just took 6 mo. instead of 2.

mecawa
11-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I gained 40lbs. with DD#1 and by the time she was 2 weeks old I only had 5 lbs. to lose (breastfeeding worked wonders for me!!), although those last 5lbs.took me until she was 4 months to get off. I am 7 months pregnant with DD#2 and by the way things are looking I expect to gain 40 again by the end. As long as you are eating good and exercising I wouldn't worry about it, I was always told just to concern myself with doing what I could to make my baby as healthy as possible.

elephantmeg
11-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I gained the same-within a lb or 2 (and started off 5 lbs heavier). I think I gained faster and then leveled off.

g-mama
11-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I gained 28 lbs with the first, 23 lbs with the second and 21 lbs with the third. I think it was because I never had time to sit down and was much more active with each pregnancy due to chasing my other kids around! Sometimes I forgot to eat because any free chance I got, I chose to lie down on the couch instead of making myself something to eat.

jk3
11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I've gained about the same with each but I started at 10 pounds up with each pregnancy. After this baby, I'm determined to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

hillview
11-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I gained about the same amount with each -- about 35-40 lbs. Weight came off after #1 after 12 months. We are at month 15 with DS #2 and I am still 15 lbs from pp weight!!
/hillary

ThreeofUs
11-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I gained less during pg #2, but just wanted to chime in that you shouldn't worry - unless you think have a gestational diabetes problem looming. Talk with your doc, if so. But otherwise now is not the time for weight management.

GL!

MommyAllison
11-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I gained more with #2, but my pre preg weight was also much lower with #2, so I ended up at about the same weight when I delivered each time.

KBecks
11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I was about the same max weight w all 3

LBW
11-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I gained the same amount with all three. I was my heaviest pre-preg with my first and had about the same eating habits with each pregnancy.

Emmas Mom
11-08-2008, 02:57 PM
{{{Katie}}} :hug: I know you must just be counting the days. :hug:

I gained about 30 with DD#1 & 40 with DD#2. It took a bit longer to get back to pre-pregnancy weight with DD#2...probably for obvious reasons. I also pretty much just ate whatever I wanted with DD#2 and, while I enjoyed it, I probably shouldn't have. lol :o

maestramommy
11-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I gained 33 lbs the first time, 50+ lbs the second time. But I got back to the same point with weight loss the second time. The second pregnancy I think I had a problem with Arwyn on my kidneys because my edema was just insane.

arivecchi
11-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone. I definitely haven't been as disciplined with my diet this time around and was not sick throughout the first 4 months as I was with the first. I used to be a work-out fiend before baby #1 but did not work out much during my first pregnancy. I'm not working out at all now because I have no time between my job and DS#1. We'll see what happens. 29 pounds at 28 weeks is scary though!!!

C99
11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know that I necessarily gained more weight, but I did gain it faster/earlier in my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies than I did with my first. I actually started my 2nd pregnancy at a lower weight than I did w/ my first.

bubbaray
11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I gained 55+lbs with DD#1 (my last weigh-in was 1 week prior to labour starting, I'm pretty sure I was well over 60lbs when she was delivered). It was mostly water, I lost it all within 2w PP. I gained 40lbs with DD#2 and lost it within about 4w PP. With DD#1, I puffed up like the Michelin man. It was horrible.

pb&j
11-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm approximately the same with this one as I was with DS. I am up a couple though, since I didn't have gestational diabetes and was actually able to eat Halloween candy. ;)