PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help...What gets you through PMS?

SASM
11-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I haven't had to deal with PMS in quite a while so it is kind of new to me...and quite annoying. PLEASE SHARE with me what helps you cope with and get through PMS. I am trying to avoid prescription meds. Ughhhh...the week or so of PMS is absolute emotional h*ll!!!

Thank you soooooo much!

MamaMolly
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I cut way back on sugar and make sure to take 3 fish oil caps (Costco's Kirkland brand). It helps keep the evil at bay for me...

MelissaTC
11-09-2008, 05:23 PM
LOL...I was going to say chocolate!!! ;)

I have rediscovered midol and pamprin. They are my friend. That and a heating pad. I tend to get some lower back pain right before.

Twoboos
11-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I have no advice but I will be watching this thread - I am an emotional basketcase during PMS!!! Any poor DH & DDs... they suffer the brunt.

MartiesMom2B
11-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Sleep. Heating pad helps me too, but I like to hibernate when possible during that time of the PMS.

graciebellesmomma
11-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I take Evening Primrose Oil, Motherwort and Fish Oil. I up the EPO and MW after I ovulate to help deal with my extreme emotional, physical
symptoms and have had major success with it.

It has helped me to stay off of Paxil for the last year and a
half. I was on Paxil for 6 years and gained 50+ pounds.
I've been off of it for 1.5 years and have lost 40 of the pounds,
am still working on the last 10.

I also do acupuncture and it has had amazing success with
the panic disorder that I suffer.

EllasMum
11-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Evening Primrose Oil for me, too. I find I have only very mild cramps when I take it, versus moderate cramps when I don't. I usually start taking it a week or so prior to AF.

lizajane
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
as advised by my BBB friends, i have started taking evening primrose oil and calcium/magnesium. also, you want to hold off on caffiene (SO HARD FOR ME!) and get some exercise.

sste
11-09-2008, 08:48 PM
The only thing that helps me is the birth control pill or being pregnant. I don't know if the pill is an option . . .

cleo27
11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Uh, yelling at my husband and my co-workers??

Oh wait, that's probably not what you are looking for...

I have been contemplating talking to my doctor about it next time I go, because I think my moods have been a lot worse lately. I think I might try the evening primrose oil based on other responses to this thread. I should probably try cutting back on caffeine too, but that is sooo hard!

Good luck! It is not fun.

Cleo

KpbS
11-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Calcium! It makes a huge difference--taken all month long--continually.

fauve01
11-10-2008, 03:50 AM
get yourself a copy of this book, _Fertility, Cycles & Nutrition_ by Marilyn Shannon.

http://www.amazon.com/Fertility-Cycles-Nutrition-Marilyn-Shannon/dp/0926412094/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226303248&sr=8-1

it was very enlightening for me. talks about benefits of a lot of the vitamins/suppliments that have been mentioned already, including the calcium/magnesium combo. also what doses to try.

GOOD LUCK! chocolate and heat work for me.

anne

aa2mama
11-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I have an IUD and haven't had any periods since DD (20 mos!), but I have heard good things about Evening Primrose Oil and calcium.

SASM
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Thank you so much, everyone!!

as advised by my BBB friends, i have started taking evening primrose oil and calcium/magnesium. also, you want to hold off on caffiene (SO HARD FOR ME!) and get some exercise.

Do you take both the Evening Primrose Oil and Ca/Mg throughout the month or just the Ca/Mg?? I bought both today and am eager to try them. I doubt that they will work this month as I am right in the middle of PMS right now but it is worth a shot. When do you start the Evening Prim Oil? Thank you!!!!

I HATE PMS!!!!!!!!!!!! All I want to do is eat chocolate but I KNOW that I will not stop at one serving, or two or three, for that matter. Doesn't help matters that DH told me "no presents" this holiday for either of us...kick me while I am down. :( UGH!

dotgirl
11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm not very good at paying attention to when I'm going to get my friendly visit, so I can't really do any of the "I take <this thing> the week before". I can't usually tell until the day before, when I get cramps and think "Oh. That's why I've been such a shrew."

But! For cramps, I love the ThermaCare warming pads that you stick to your panties - they get me through the work day.

graciebellesmomma
11-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Both of them can cause tummy upset so start with one at a time. I would start with the EPO. It can help with PMS immediately. I take 1300 mg capsules and I take 3 a day, until I start my PMS stuff, then I take 5-6 a day. If I were you I would start with one in the am after breakfast and see how your stomach feels, then 1 after lunch if all is ok. One after dinner.

After 3-4 days of making sure your stomach is fine, then I would start with the Cal/Mag. I take a high amount, but worked up to it. Some people can't tolerate it and taking 1500 mg of Cal and 750 of Mag is more than enough. Just listen to your body.

I take 3000/1500 mg. I started with one 500/250mg after breakfast, then added one after lunch and dinner. Now I take 2 after breakfast, 2 after lunch and 2 before bed. It really helps with anxiety and sleep.

They are both lifesavers for me.

SASM
11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Both of them can cause tummy upset so start with one at a time. I would start with the EPO. It can help with PMS immediately. I take 1300 mg capsules and I take 3 a day, until I start my PMS stuff, then I take 5-6 a day. If I were you I would start with one in the am after breakfast and see how your stomach feels, then 1 after lunch if all is ok. One after dinner.

After 3-4 days of making sure your stomach is fine, then I would start with the Cal/Mag. I take a high amount, but worked up to it. Some people can't tolerate it and taking 1500 mg of Cal and 750 of Mag is more than enough. Just listen to your body.

I take 3000/1500 mg. I started with one 500/250mg after breakfast, then added one after lunch and dinner. Now I take 2 after breakfast, 2 after lunch and 2 before bed. It really helps with anxiety and sleep.

They are both lifesavers for me.

Thank you so much! Do you take yours throughout the entire month?

pinkmomagain
11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I just wanted to say I have been making sure I have adequate calcium for the past 8 weeks or so (two dairy servings daily because I am on Weight Watchers) and I believe it has really contributed to curbing my cravings dramatically. I also think that my daily fish oil capsules/mulitvitamin and making sure I get in some olive oil everyday (again Weight Watchers related) has also helped. I swear, cravings have become almost non-existent. And I think all of the above have really improved my mood.

eta: Also, I've been walking about 20 min everyday outside....I think this has helped with mood too.

graciebellesmomma
11-11-2008, 02:49 AM
I do take them regularly. I take the same amount of cal/mag all month long and up the EPO when I start to get that edgy feeling that I equate with PMS. It usually hits me about a week before I get my period. I also take Motherwort tincture. It helps with extreme PMS like I have. It also helps with heart palpitations, cramps and migraine. I get hormonal migraines and went from having them for 3-4 days to having one for 3-4 hours max!
I take the Motherwort for about 3 weeks. I stop taking it during my period. Just to give my body a break.

I've really had great success with it all. I recommend seeing a Naturopath MD if you have any near you.