PDA

View Full Version : Name People- help, totally stumped

kijip
11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
We are having a boy. All we know is that the middle name will be Aaron. This is not changing and, no, we don't want Aaron for a first name (it's a family name, like Avery for Toby).

Mostly looking for names that have nice nicknames. Last name is short, one syllable and starts with a P. We tend to like old fashioned names. My husband more so than me, he actually was dead serious when he tried to add Ebenezer and Abraham to the list. For comparison, we like things like Etta, Marian, Edna, Ingrid, Eleanor, Enid, Josephine and Beatrice for girls.

We each like to varying degrees:

Tucker
Truman
Gabriel
Nathaniel
Henry (but not the nick name)
Theodore or Edward
Thurgood

But just not having anything really click in or resonate. At least not for both of us at the same time. For more than a day. :p

Any thoughts on names we might like?

fivi2
11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Of the ones you listed, I like Gabriel, Nathaniel, and Tucker. I know a Henry and I like, but I am not sure you want Hank Aaron...?

I will try to think of some others for you!

eta: I really like Phineas (Finn) but don't know if it works with oyur last name

Elliot
Warren (not a good nickname that I can think of) (and duh, Warren Aaron clearly doesn't work!)

I like the Benjamin, Oliver, and Nicholas listed by another poster

Jacob (Jake)
Caleb
Daniel
William (using Liam as the nn)
Alexander (not sure I like with Aaron)
Graham
Charles/Charlie
Samuel/Sam
Phillip
Simon
Sebastien
Spenser
Zachary

eta (again) I just saw that your dh wanted Abraham... I almost added to my list using Bram as a nickname. :) It has the traditional sound you seem to like!

and another - I like Jackson mentioned below

I also like Callum (Cal) but it isn't really in the same vein as the others

kijip
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
a Henry and I like, but I am not sure you want Hank Aaron...?

I will try to think of some others for you!

Yeah, part of me just does not much like the nickname (Hank) and it definitely goes with a famous person with our middle name pick. That said, I can think of worse people than Hank Aaron to share a name with. Henry is my husband's #1 name pick. But I am ambivalent. I love the name Henry, just not necessarily with the middle and last names we are tied into.

o_mom
11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I like Nathaniel best of the ones you listed. I think Theodore would be too close to Toby if you used Teddy as a nickname.

Some other thoughts:

Nicholas
Oliver
Leo
Benjamin

caleymama
11-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Quickly, I like Gabriel and Nathaniel off your list the best. Especially with Tobias/Toby and with Aaron as a mn.

zephyr
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I absolutely LOVE Gabriel and that would be on my top five list for a future dc. Gabriel and Tobias- sounds awesome.

Ceepa
11-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Names can be so tough to choose. We had the hardest time with DD's name. In fact, several of our favorites were on the list of girls names you like.

Like pp, I really like Nathaniel and Gabriel, but Nathaniel a little more with Aaron.

mariza
11-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I love Nathaniel, with Nate for a nickname.

lizajane
11-09-2008, 07:21 PM
i like the sound of gabe and toby together. but worry that with your last name, let's say it is pots, it would be too short? gabe pots? (sorry...pots was the first thing that came into my head! lol!)

i also like PP idea of benjamin- ben and toby.

my DH is jeffrey. jeff and toby is nice.

elijah/elias/ellis? eli and toby?

Fairy
11-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I like Tucker and Truman. Love the name Henry, but yeah, if Aaron is not negotiable, then that's a no-go, there.

I love Finn that a PP mentioned. Other very old-fashioned names, many of which, now that I've listed them, look suspiciously Presidential:

Franklin
George
Jefferson
Jackson
Clayton
Quint
Quincy
Andreaus
Thaddeus
Ya don't see too many Edwins out there
Gerald
Horatio

When I noticed the Presidential trend, I thought about it, and there are some real doozies in there among the do-nothing, mostly one-termers surrounding Lincoln. I, uh, don't particularly like them (Millard, anyone?). But, they might fit the bill for you!

How about Trak? Trig?

kijip
11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
i like the sound of gabe and toby together. but worry that with your last name, let's say it is pots, it would be too short? gabe pots? (sorry...pots was the first thing that came into my head! lol!)

i also like PP idea of benjamin- ben and toby.

my DH is jeffrey. jeff and toby is nice.

elijah/elias/ellis? eli and toby?

:hysterical: Thankfully our last name is a tad longer than Pots, with a totally different sound. It's a pretty uncommon name, but a familiar word.

I like Benjamin, Jeffrey and Elias a lot! New things to think about. Benjamin has been bounced around here a bit over the years but had not thought at all about Eilas and Jeffrey. Eli and Toby work nicely.

crayonblue
11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
My favorite is Henry!

kijip
11-09-2008, 07:32 PM
I like Tucker and Truman. Love the name Henry, but yeah, if Aaron is not negotiable, then that's a no-go, there.

When I noticed the Presidential trend, I thought about it, and there are some real doozies in there among the do-nothing, mostly one-termers surrounding Lincoln. I, uh, don't particularly like them (Millard, anyone?). But, they might fit the bill for you!

How about Trak? Trig?

Not going to name my kid Fillmore or Grant or whatnot. ;) I like Tucker A LOT and happily it is NOT at all a politician's name. Neither is Tobias, a name that people think is old and smart but not friendly or sexy apparently.

Trig and Trak- you are too funny. If I, a geeky math and econ peep, named a kid Trig, I think my status as a math geek would be permanently locked in, no escape, LOL. Then we would have to have another and name it Chem for my husband. :wink2:

kijip
11-09-2008, 07:35 PM
My favorite is Henry!

We both really, really love Henry. Aaron is a totally 100% fixed deal though (after 2 people- my BIL and our best friend/kid's godfather). This way Toby is after one uncle and this one is after another (sort of- mostly for the friend and not my BIL) and then both families can ZIP IT about family names. :wink2:

I think the main issue is that we like all of the names too much. And somehow Henry Truman Tucker Gabriel Etc Aaron ain't going work.

LBW
11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Of the ones you listed, I like:

Nathaniel Aaron (Toby and Nate)
Henry Aaron (Toby and Henry - love this!)
Edward Aaron (Toby and Eddie or Toby and Ned. I suspect Edward is going to make a big comeback because of Twillight - not sure if that will factor into your decision.)

I also like:

Gerald Aaron or Jerome Aaron or Jeremiah Aaron (Toby and Jerry, Toby and Jed)
Harold Aaron (Toby and Harry - love!)
Charles Aaron (Toby and Charlie)
Martin Aaron (Toby and Marty)
Wallace Aaron (Toby and Wally)
Everett Aaron (Toby and Ev - love!)
Hugh Aaron (Toby and Hughie)
Archibald Aaron (Toby and Archie)
Alistair Aaron (Toby and Al)
Myles Aaron (Toby and Myles - no nickname, but one of my favorite boys names)
Benedict Aaron or Bennett Aaron (Toby and Ben)
Reginald Aaron (Toby and Reggie or Reg)
Thaddeus Aaron (Toby and Thad or Teddy)
Augustus Aaron (Toby and Gus)

It's fun to think of names with a nickname since I wanted names for my boys that did not have nicknames! Good luck!

babystuffbuff
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, part of me just does not much like the nickname (Hank) and it definitely goes with a famous person with our middle name pick.

Do you definitely want him to have a nickname? It sounds like you do, but I wanted to throw that out there. My oldest nephew is Andrew John. He's called Andrew - not Andy or Drew or A.J. - and I frankly can't imagine him being any of those because he's always been Andrew. So if you love Henry, don't necessarily let the nickname dissuade you, because you don't have to use it. I think Henry Aaron sounds nice.....but I'm biased since Henry is my favorite boy name, too - and I don't like "Hank", either. :)

I think Charles Aaron sounds very classy and strong. What about Josiah (Jed)? Or have I been watching too many West Wing reruns? ;)

pinkmomagain
11-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Haven't read through all the posts, but I realy like William with Will for short. I think it goes great with Aaron.

Another name I like is Grayson/Graydon....Gray for short.

OOOOh....I really like Henry too!

kerridean
11-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I like all the names you listed VERY much, except Tucker. It rhymes with Fu...... I adore traditional names, they sound so classy. I will add Hank, and Carl to the list.

lmintzer
11-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I like Nathaniel Aaron (with Nate for a nickname). It goes well with Toby!

bubbaray
11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Um, Theodore Roosevelt was a Republican. I think you can scratch Theodore off your list, LOL.

Of the ones you've listed, I like Nathaniel Aaron (Nate). If it gives good sleep karma, monogram would be NAP.

catroddick
11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I really like Benjamin Aaron.

Now I have go figure out why Benjamin is not on my list on boys names- I love Benjamin!

Fairy
11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I like all the names you listed VERY much, except Tucker. It rhymes with Fu...... I adore traditional names, they sound so classy. I will add Hank, and Carl to the list.

Damn. Hadn't thought of that. But curel 10-yo kids will . . .

Fairy
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Um, Theodore Roosevelt was a Republican. I think you can scratch Theodore off your list, LOL.

Of the ones you've listed, I like Nathaniel Aaron (Nate). If it gives good sleep karma, monogram would be NAP.

Yeah, but he was such a goodie. The unofficial father of modern conservationism. I love Theodore. Would call him Teddie, then Ted. Flove.

sste
11-09-2008, 08:56 PM
We have a Gabriel so I am partial. I also like Nathaniel Aaron and Benjamin Aaron. You may want to consider if you have an issue with a name being common - - Nathan and Ben are pretty common and in my neighborhood there are also a ton of Owens, Liams, and Jacks. Some people don't care about that at all; others want their kid to be the only "X-name" in their class.

I am also a huge fan of the name Isaac though you may not like two vowel names back to back. If you get the book baby name wizard you can look up Nathaniel, Gabriel and some of the others on your list and see what the "brother" names are - - the book gives names alternatives with a similar feel. I found this book to be invaluable and I had such problems choosing a boy's name that I (only half-jokingly) tell people I am going to gender sort next time! I would look it up for you but I mailed my book off to a friend.

kijip
11-09-2008, 08:56 PM

If that was my basis I'd guess I would have to add Bill, Jimmy, John and Lyndon. No, thanks. (though all of those are nice names, just not my style and there are too many Johns in my family- big Catholic families tend to have a lot of Johns and Davids) ;) Though I guess that basis would spare me Dwight and Ronald.

I like Theo as a nickname for Theodore. As someone pointed out, Toby and Teddy is just a touch the same and far too precious.

kijip
11-09-2008, 09:02 PM
eta (again) I just saw that your dh wanted Abraham... I almost added to my list using Bram as a nickname. :) It has the traditional sound you seem to like!

For some reason Abraham just seems too old fashioned to me. Though I wrote it down on the list for a few days for the veto power over Ebenezer. Seriously. Scrooge.

HIU8
11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
DS's middle name is Elias. I wanted Eli, DH hated it. DH wanted Elijah and I didn't feel it went well with with DS's first name. So we compromised with Elias and we both love it.

american_mama
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
First, I like the name Abraham a lot, know a little boy named that who goes by Abe and like it.

How about:

William (Will or Liam)
Theron (Theo?)
Leander (Lee)
Jediah (Jed)
Elias (although the full name sounds a lot like Tobias)
Silas (but no nickname, also bad guy from "DaVinci Code")
Maxwell
Andrew
Frederic (Fred or Ric)
Richard (Rich or Rick)
August or Augustus
Clement.... really old! Illustrator of "Good Night Moon"!
Marshall
Ezra or Ezariah
Seth

Also, you've probably thought of them, but Paul, Benjamin, Alexander.

I'd also look at historical figures that mean something to you, since that would age the names appropriately and perhaps give a context to the name that you like.

ETA: I typed my response before reading others and see that similar names turned up. Also, I thought of last name names that have been around long before the trend: Winston, Lowell, Preston, Winslow. Heavy on the W's for some reason.

nickname
middle name Aaron
Etta, Marian, Edna, Ingrid, Eleanor, Enid, Josephine and Beatrice for girls
Ebenzer and Abraham

We each like to varying degrees:

Tucker
Truman
Gabriel
Nathaniel
Henry (but not the nick name)
Theodore or Edward
Thurgood

neeleymartin
11-09-2008, 09:36 PM
go here: www.nymbler.com

so much fun and useful, i found.

n

MontrealMum
11-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I like the suggestions by fivi2. Sorry, I am sick and can't read the rest. When I read your post before scrolling down to see your name suggestions, Katie, the first thing that popped into my head was Nathan. And I see you have Nathaniel there. I also like Gabriel. I'm sorry, but I just can't get my head around Thurgood. I had a prof. in grad. school with the first name of Hereward and he seems to have turned out fine, but he's 80+ now. I like the idea of Ted or Teddy from Theodore or Edward but I have an ex named that so we couldn't go with that ourselves.

ljackson
11-09-2008, 09:50 PM
If you like Henry but not Hank, you could shorten it to Harry instead (seeing as you said that your surname is not similar to Pots ;) ).

fivi2
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
and another from me...

I know I am alone in this, but I really like Malcolm
It may just be the Firefly/Serenity connection, but I would have definitely put it on my boy list!

BeachBum
11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
It seems we have similar taste in names. Eleanor and Beatrice were our girl names before we found out we were having twin boys.

Tobias was on our list for a while, as were Nathaniel, Gabriel, Edward and Theodore. My son is Henry. So far we haven't had anyone trying to nickname him, and we simply prefer Henry.

The baby name wizard book suggests Jude, Josiah, Jonas, Eli and Caleb as "brother" names for Tobias.

We still haven't decided, but others we are still kicking around are

Felix
Oliver
Samuel
Reuben

deborah_r
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I like Theodore/Theo a lot. Also Oliver, but not sure about nicknames for that. I happen to know a 70-tear old Ollie, so it's hard to wrap my head around Ollie for a little boy.

Some of the name ideas made me think of this: Thurman. Kai's first friend at preschool was named Thurman and he was adorable! Also, I think of Travis when I look at the other names.

Oh I remembered another...I really liked Calvin for DS2 (and believe me, it would have fit his personality) but DH did not like it.

bubbaray
11-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Oooh, I like Caleb Aaron.

ETA: nn Cal. Toby & Cal. Kinda like the ring they have together.

bubbaray
11-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I also like Fairy's idea -- Jackson. Jackson Aaron. nn Jack. Toby & Jack. Kinda like that ring too.

FWIW, we found naming DD#2 very hard, b/c her name had to work with DH's German 1-syllable (harsh sounding) surname, as well as with DD#1's name....

DietCokeLover
11-09-2008, 10:48 PM
I like Nathaniel Aaron. It has a nice sound.

Other ideas:
Matthew Aaron
Charles Aaron
Ezekiel Aaron
Robert Aaron
Philip Aaron

Let us know what you choose!

mytwosons
11-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I have a friend with a son named Emerson; I guess it was an old family name. I love it, especially with a single syllable last name, but don't know what you could shorten it to for a nickname.

MamaKath
11-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Some of these were ones I liked off other peoples suggestions, but I never made it through all of them...

Steven
Marcus
Nathaniel
Richard
Samuel
Joseph
Reuben
Phineas
Finnegan
Jameson
James
Lincoln
Franklin
Thomas
Timothy
William
Colton
Andrew
David
Dalton
Seward
Hamilton

Can't wait to hear what you choose! It was interesting to see your list of girls names, some of them are my favorites. We liked Eleanor, Evelyn, Ingrid Beatrice and Matilda last time around. They were on our lists. We had a boy though!

elliput
11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Hank is not the only nickname for Henry. There is also Harry and Hal.

Clarity
11-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I went to school with a Tucker. He was "popular" so he didn't suffer the FU curse.

I loved Etta, couldn't get my dh to run with it...but for boys names we had chosen, Seth, Elias, Elijah or Nathaniel. Someone else suggested Benjamin. I like that too. Ben and Toby have the same feel.

MamaMolly
11-10-2008, 12:06 AM
I like Nathaniel best of the ones you listed. I think Theodore would be too close to Toby if you used Teddy as a nickname.

Ha-ha. That's why I like it! To each their own, eh?

almostamom
11-10-2008, 12:06 AM

And this is why my son is not named Tucker. It was on my list and I loved it, but I taught school long enough to know that it only takes one kid to say it and the nickname will stick. Sorry - I do still like the name though.

fivi2
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh I remembered another...I really liked Calvin for DS2 (and believe me, it would have fit his personality) but DH did not like it.

I think Calvin is cute too!

last one, I promise :) I really like Griffin (can use Finn as nn). It doesn't really match your others, but I like the name!

KpbS
11-10-2008, 12:57 AM
I am very partial to Theodore, nn Theo ;) but am also a big fan of

Elliott
Bennett
Fisher (DH can't stand)
Elias
Nathan
Samuel

Your girl's names were on our list too.

kijip
11-10-2008, 01:10 AM
last one, I promise :) I really like Griffin (can use Finn as nn). It doesn't really match your others, but I like the name!

We have bounced around Griffey as well, so I think you and I see a lot of the same names, LOL.

Fairy
11-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Oooh, Seth. Very good name. It was on my list, but there's another Seth in the family, however, distant. So, we moved on. No nickname, tho ...

niccig
11-10-2008, 01:56 AM
My DS's name is Barrett. I like the sound of Barrett Aaron. DS name is Barrett Ryan. When we say it, a lot of people ask if it's Bennett or Beckett, but DH says that more to do with my accent as no one questions him when he says DS's name. For nicknames, we were thinking of Rett like Rhett from Gown with the Wind, but we don't shorten DS's name. I don't like Barry as a nickname and in Australia, Barry gets changed to Bazza, but thankfully no one here knows that. Only my Dad calls DS that to poke fun at me.

ThreeofUs
11-10-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm a fan of Henry.

DS2's his nickname will probably be "Teddy", which you could also get with Theodore.

Quincy is also a family name for us, so that's a favorite, too. "Quin" is a nice nickname.

fivi2
11-10-2008, 09:47 AM
We have bounced around Griffey as well, so I think you and I see a lot of the same names, LOL.

yeah, I think almost all of your girl names were on our short list!

KBecks
11-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I have been waiting and waiting, hoping you would post about baby names! :)

No comments yet, I'm just so excited about the topic.

boolady
11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Of the names on your list, I really like Tucker and Theodore. Theodore, nickname Theo, is on our boys' shortlist should we ever have a #2.

The other name on our boys' shortlist is Benjamin, which I also think would work for you, as some PP suggested.

KBecks
11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I think Eli has potential also and I also like Henry. I like them both with a P last name and first name / last name flow is one of my huge criteria for boys names.

The T names are a bit too close to Toby for me so far. I'm going to assume you've run through all the Thomas and Friends names as potentials already. ;)

I really like Calvin / Cal as an "antiquey" name, and I love how strong Cal sounds. I've also heard Casey as a less common and older boys' name, although it doesn't have the good nickname thing going for it.

I'll drag out my name book later if I can find it.

KBecks
11-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I think the main issue is that we like all of the names too much. And somehow Henry Truman Tucker Gabriel Etc Aaron ain't going work.

Well there's a solution for that. Boys are awesome!

mamicka
11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I love so many of the suggestions so far. How exciting! I love picking the names!

Just thought I'd chime in here about Calvin - Calvin is DS2 & I love the name.

fivi2
11-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Okay, I so lied about being done! This is fun...

Lucas/Luke
Ian (doesn't really work with Aaron, but cute anyway)
Joshua/Josh
Reid
Fletcher/Fletch
Parker
Carter/Carson
Clive
Walter
Sawyer
Jonas (may have been mentioned before...?)
Cole
Caden/Cade
Gavin
Mitchell
Archer (again, not so good with Aaron)

Okay, now I have gone through my books! I am done :)

TraciG
11-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Definitely Gabriel, I was thinking of using that name

kijip
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Joshua/Josh
Walter
Sawyer

Okay, now I have gone through my books! I am done :)

Love Walter and Sawyer. So many good ideas you ladies have! Glad I asked here.

Love Joshua most of all, but it's my husband's name and we both agree that naming sons after dads is just not our style. But it's been my favorite name loooong before I met my husband.

mommylamb
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
and another from me...

I know I am alone in this, but I really like Malcolm
It may just be the Firefly/Serenity connection, but I would have definitely put it on my boy list!

Totally off topic, but I LOVED Firefly!!! Malcolm is a great name.

DH and I disagree on this, but when we have #2, if it's a boy, I really like Jonas. We want to name #2 after my grandmother, who was Johanna (we'll use that if we have a girl), but I totally love Jonas for a boy.

I also like William, with Liam as a nick name.

infocrazy
11-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm going to have to remember this thread if we ever have another boy. There are some great classic names here.

Just wanted to toss Gregory into the ring. We're a little biased though.

That sounds sort of funny. He is a wild kid though so maybe it fits!

saschalicks
11-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm a major Henry lover myself. If this had been a boy I was constantly trying to get DH to love that name. He just wouldn't budge. :ROTFLMAO: Luckily it was a girl and I'm not disappointed by not having a Henry. He would've been Henry too, not Hank.

I love the name Eli, but I am partial for my own reasons. ;) Incidently I know it sounds good w/a P name b/c that's DS2's first name and his middle name is with a P.

Names I also like on your list are Tucker and Gabriel. I think Tucker is just so cute.

ETA: more

MontrealMum
11-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Although I like the name Henry, the possibility of Hank Aaron would worry me. But hey, if he's into baseball, it might be good :) Friends have recently had a Sam, Ben, Oliver, and Simon and I like all of those choices.

I'll try not to repeat, because there are some great suggestions here. I really like the idea of a longer first name in your situation especially since you are into using a nickname. With a one-syllable last name, the long first name sounds nice to me. Here are a few you might not have seen yet:

Bartholomew - Tolly
Frederick - Fred, Freddie, Rick, Fritz
Alexander - Sandy
Francis - Frank

I thought I had more, but I seem to be blanking.

Tracey
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I love a bunch of the suggestions you've gotten so far! I wanted to throw another one into the mix.

Cyril nn Cy

MarisaSF
11-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Has Thatcher been mentioned?
I think of it as similar to Tucker, but without a nasty rhyming "nickname."

Eta-- also throwing out Dalton. Name of a scientist and a sports player DH admired.

Darwin nn Dar. I know a man with that name/nn. Cool name, but maybe a lit of prssure in it.

kijip
11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Has Thatcher been mentioned?
I think of it as similar to Tucker, but without a nasty rhyming "nickname."

True dat. :thumbsup:

mecawa
11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Off of your list I love both Gabriel and Nathaniel, especially with the middle name Aaron.

Another name I thought of when I read your list was Joseph (that maybe because you said you liked Josephine for a girl, which I also love btw). I think Joseph sounds good with Aaron too. I'll try to think of some more.

clb
11-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Edmond/ Edmund as an alternative to Edward.

This probably goes better with your DH's choice of Abraham than with your other names
Malachy/ Malachi

I am probably too predictable, but I like nymbler.