PDA

View Full Version : What would you do, baby nap time going to run into the time I have to leave

TraciG
11-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I can't believe I'm actually HOPING Jacob wake's up from his nap already because his second nap will end up being the time I have to get Sydney, last week he was asleep when I had to leave & I did leave him, the school is right next door to my building but it's kind of scary to do that but I hate to wake him. He's safe in his crib & I'm gone about 10 minute's.

Can you get in trouble doing this ? It isn't something I'm proud of , I just hate to wake a sleeping baby that used to be cranky all the time ! I don't have anyone that can wait here until I get back home.

My friend said it's not him you have to worry about , she said what if something happened to me.

nov04
11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I know you only have the best of intentions, but I wouldn't do this. If something happens to the building while you're gone (like a fire), the consequences could be horrible.

wencit
11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Is there any way you could try to move naptime earlier so that your son can get in a little more sleep before you have to pick up your daughter? You live in NY, right? According to this article:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09282006/realestate/leaving_junior_home_alone_realestate_jane_reilly_m ount.htm

it states, "New York State, like most states, doesn't have an age minimum at which children may legally be left alone. Keep in mind that the absence of specifics in the law doesn't mean there's no law, and issues of neglect of a minor child are handled on a case-by-case basis." So yes, I do think you could run into trouble for leaving an infant at home alone, even if just for a few minutes.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing this. If the unthinkable happened (and it only takes a couple of minutes), I'd never be able to forgive myself. Try to have your son take his first nap earlier or push his second nap later. Anything but leave him home alone. It's just not worth the risk, IMO.

jgenie
11-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I know it seems like the easier choice would be to let your little sleep while you run out, but so many things could happen in the time your away. Just think of how often things happen while you're right there. I personally would rather have a very crabby, safe baby than a well rested one that could possibly be in danger. If something happened while you were out you wouldn't be able to forgive yourself. Good luck finding a safe solution that works for you.

Ceepa
11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
If you're just walking over to DD's school can you pop DS into a carrier? He might stay asleep once you get moving.

jk3
11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I would never leave a baby/child alone in a crib. It's annoying to wake a sleeping baby but leaving a baby home alone could have tragic results.

mommy111
11-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Can you put him to sleep in the stroller or carseat? That way you can take him with you but not wake him up?

KpbS
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Maybe you could have a mother's helper type come over for 15-20 minutes for when you need to run the quick errand. She could help with whatever you needed at the moment--watching DS (asleep or awake), dishes, folding laundry etc.

JBaxter
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I would never leave a baby alone. Do you have a neighbor who will listen on the monitor for your? Thats about as much as I would do. If not he needs to get up and go along.
Maryland the age is 8yrs when you can leave a child unattended for a short trip out of the house. Im worried next year when I have to walk to the bus stop ( within site of my house) when jack is sleeping and my monitor will even go that far.

ett
11-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I would not leave him. If there is really nobody that can watch him during that time I would just move up his naptime.

hez
11-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I have to wake up DD three or four out of five days to go get DS at the bus stop. It sucks, but I do it anyway. You can't see the bus stop from our house, so there's no way around it.

I'm using a carrier-- she's less fussy when she's in it, and it's easier to make the walk with my hands free. It's made things a little nicer.

infocrazy
11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Do you know of the other mom's in your daughter's class? Maybe they could just walk your daughter home for you instead of you needing to leave.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't do it. But, I won't even leave the house with the dryer on for fear the house will catch fire. You would never forgive yourself if something did happen.

WatchingThemGrow
11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Do you know of the other mom's in your daughter's class? Maybe they could just walk your daughter home for you instead of you needing to leave.

ITA with this. There have to be other kids in her class or neighbors who walk past your house who could help you out by walking her home, especially if it is just in the next building over. You could return the favor by keeping their child on certain afternoons.

A friend of mine asks a neighbor to sit at her house while her little ones sleep and she runs through the car pick up line to get her Kindergartener.

amldaley
11-10-2008, 01:49 PM

I add to the chorus...this is a better idea than leaving your little one alone. It is also an opportunity for you and your daughter to make new friends. Another mom in your building or neighborhood, whether in your daughters class or not?

lmwbasye
11-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Wish I had a great answer for you, but wanted to say how I feel your pain. We just started a new schedule 2 weeks ago and it's killing me to have to wake up my 1 year old every day from his only nap. I really can't push his nap earlier or later, so this is just the way it is. And man, is my kiddo cranky. I feel so bad for him.

Anyway, I wouldn't leave baby alone at all. Not a good idea, IMO. But just wanted to say that I feel your pain and I also like the idea of trying to find a classmate or someone to help get your child home.

Good luck!

AuGoldie
11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Can you drop him into a sling so he can keep napping while you run next door? Or is he a light sleeper? I wouldn't leave him alone though, too much risk.

TraciG
11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok I wont leave him home, you all convinced me !

I tried to get him to nap earlier, so he played & cried for a half hour, he just wasn't tired yet, not easy to move a nap up,it really depends on the time they wake up for the day & their first nap !!!

He did fall asleep finally, I will have to wake him but at least he will sleep at least 45 minutes, wont have time to change his diaper, will wake him the last minute & have to feed outside, maybe we'll go to the park.

I notice he can stay awake a lot longer now, he's almost 9 month's, it's good BUT not for nap time with having another child !!

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I wake ds2 up every time I have to walk to get ds1 from the bus stop even though I can see the house from the stop. The house is up the hill and about 9 houses up so it just seems too far away for my comfort. Believe me, I have thought about just running down there and leave him sleeping but the "what ifs" are too much for me.

This is a timely post as bus pick up is at 4 and ds2 didn't finish luncg till 2:30 and doesn't seem tired. I could not decide between putting him down then and short changing his nap, skipping his nap all together, or delaying it till after getting ds1. 2 days/ week I have someone to watch ds2 while I go to the bus stop and that is so, so nice!

Beth

AngelaS
11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
To get my kids on a regular routine, I always woke them in the morning. That way I knew when their regular nap times would be. :)

egoldber
11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Well when Amy was napping in the afternoons, I would walk to the bus stop while she was asleep. But my monitor actually reached all the way to the bus stop, and I could see my house from the bus stop (about 6 houses down the street) so I was OK with it. But I wouldn't go farther than my monitor could reach.

Could you pay a middle schooler in your building (they typically get out earlier than elementary) a couple dollars to come and sit in your apartment while you go get DD? My best friend did that so that she wouldn't have to wake her younger child while she drove to get her older one from school.

Mamma2004
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I know it's an awful predicament when naps seem so sacred! I commend you on your willingness to listen to a bunch of virtual strangers (or are we virtual friends??).

While the risk may be minimal, the what-ifs are just too horrific to allow to happen.

Best of luck to you in your quest for a solution!

TraciG
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
well for today it was ok, I woke him after 45 minutes & layed him on the bed, gave a bottle right away as I changed his diaper & put his jacket on, then right into the stroller, he did cry but not for long, MIRACLE & he was so good at the park for an hour ! AND it was so cold !

I can't put him in the BJorn anymore, way to heavy .

It's hard with nap time when you have more then one child !

I have noticed he isn't taking a third nap anymore, kind of nice to have him asleep before 7 !!!

I don't know anyone that I would have stay at my apt when I pick her up.

ugh it will be worse when he goes to one nap , but I have a while at least !

I see this is a problem for a lot of people now too !

DrSally
11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm late to this, but I too wouldn't leave him. I know how you feel b/c I'm home alone and have to wake DD to pick up DS, but I do it. I like what pp said, you'd rather have an upset baby who's safe than a few extra minutes of sleep.