PDA

View Full Version : Love the balance bike - DS doesn't need training wheels

niccig
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
We gave DS a balance bike last Christmas, we bought him a normal bike 2 weeks ago, and did not put the training wheels on. We practiced 5 or 6 times, with one of us walking beside him holding on to the shirt/jacket at the back of his neck to help him a little. Each time he needed less help from us. Today he was pedaling too fast for me to walk beside him, so I let go and he rode for 50 ft by himself. He then kept practicing and by the end I was RUNNING beside him as he pedaled along the path at the park. He still needs a little balance help when he pushes off to start pedaling, but that's it.

And the amazing thing for me, is that he isn't even 4 yet. He's 4th birthday is Christmas Day. I had training wheels until I was 6 or 7 years old. The balance bike was worth every cent to not have training wheels for years.

LBW
11-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Isn't it great? We had a similar experience with our oldest this summer. My middle guy now has his own tiny balance bike that he zooms around on. I'm sure he'll be riding a regular bike without ever using training wheels by 3 1/2.

brittone2
11-10-2008, 08:49 PM
We don't have a pedal bike for DS, but need to get one soon. He's been riding his Puky for a year and a half now (he's currently 4.5). He was a little short for a 16incher the last time we checked...he seems to have grown since then. I'm debating whether to try a 14incher or hold off until he can comfortably ride a 16 inch. What did you end up doing?

Anyway, :cheerleader1: for your DS. We :love5: the balance bike approach. It has been dollar for dollar one of our best buys ever.

niccig
11-10-2008, 08:55 PM
We ended up with a 12". DS is short for his age. We put him on the 16" and he couldn't touch the ground, and it would have been too heavy for him to handle. The 12" is about the size of the puky, but a little bigger for the seat and the handlebars. It means we'll have to size up sooner, but the transition was easier. I'll sell this bike when the time comes to help fund the next size up. We're going to pass the Puky bike on to DS"s cousin who's 2 in February. It's such a solid bike, it can easily be used by several kids.

o_mom
11-10-2008, 09:05 PM
It's great, isn't it? We had a similar experience. I need to find a 12" for DS2 because I know he could do it right now, I just haven't gotten around to it.

niccig
11-11-2008, 01:25 AM
It's great, isn't it? We had a similar experience.
My younger sister could ride without training wheels before I could, I was jealous and embarrassed. So, I'm happy DS has gotten the hang of it without any fears/lack of confidence etc.

o_mom
11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
My younger sister could ride without training wheels before I could, I was jealous and embarrassed. So, I'm happy DS has gotten the hang of it without any fears/lack of confidence etc.

That is actually one of the reasons I have been dragging my feet on getting DS2 a bike. I wanted DS1 to enjoy doing something first. He is at the very late end of the normal range for many gross motor skills where DS2 is at the early end. Since they are only a year and a half apart, DS2 ends up doing some things first (pedal a trike, balance a scooter, etc.)

niccig
11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
That is actually one of the reasons I have been dragging my feet on getting DS2 a bike. I wanted DS1 to enjoy doing something first. He is at the very late end of the normal range for many gross motor skills where DS2 is at the early end. Since they are only a year and a half apart, DS2 ends up doing some things first (pedal a trike, balance a scooter, etc.)

It's great that you're thinking of how DS1 feels and how he will be affected by DS2 doing somethings more quickly. We told family how DS can ride a bike, and one grandparent told DS that he'll have to talk to the 6 year old cousin who still needs training wheels. Yep, what a way to give the 6 yo confidence, to have her 4 yo cousin teach her how to do something she can not do. NOT.