PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp allergy?

hillview
11-10-2008, 06:22 PM
DS #2 is 15 months old and just had shrimp for I *think* the second time.
It was in a teriyaki sauce so had a little bit of a kick -- my 3 year old wouldn't eat it. DS #2 WOFFED it down. Had about 6 shrimp. He immediately got a red rash on his face which after about 10 mins faded away. Rash was around the mouth and cheeks and general redness with some red splotches.

Was it the teriyaki sauce or the shrimp or ?? Should I call pedi? Have him tested?
TIA!
/hillary

kedss
11-10-2008, 06:24 PM
i know my ds had a reaction to oyster sauce when he was little, same reaction on his face. but, it could an allergic reaction to shellfish in general.

alexsmommy
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd call the ped, food allergies are nothing to mess with. They just get stronger with each exposure. I'd test for shellfish.

KpbS
11-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes! Definitely call your ped and ask for a rec. for a pediatric allergist. Most likely she will want to test him for a general panel of allergens--top 8 or so--including soy (possibly the teriyaki) and shellfish. Immediate reactions can be so scary and serious. Watch for any additional reaction (secondary) in the coming hours. I'd give benadryl just to be safe but I am not a dr.--just a mom with a kid w/ LOTS of food allergies.

hth

ThreeofUs
11-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes! Definitely call your ped and ask for a rec. for a pediatric allergist. Most likely she will want to test him for a general panel of allergens--top 8 or so--including soy (possibly the teriyaki) and shellfish. Immediate reactions can be so scary and serious. Watch for any additional reaction (secondary) in the coming hours. I'd give benadryl just to be safe

I'll second this. Watch his breathing - I'm sure he's fine, but watch just in case.

Check the teriyaki ingredients. See if it's wheat- or soy-based, and be ready to tell the allergist this.

I'm so sorry to hear about his reaction! How scary!

HIU8
11-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I'de call your ped. I have a shellfish allergy and get a rash on my neck and chest when I eat shrimp, crab, lobster ( I've never had anything except those three).

DD is going to a ped allergist tomorrow b/c she gets rashes and pin dot bumps on her face after she eats certain foods. It's not something I fool around with knowing I have an allergy (as does my mother).

MamaMolly
11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Yikes! ITA with what everyone said. Call your ped right away and get some testing scheduled. The RAST is a blood test so if that is the one your doctor wants be sure to give DS a ton of liquids before hand and bundle him warmly to get that blood flowing. And ask for someone good at drawing blood from a toddler.
Fingers crossed it is just NOTHING.

DrSally
11-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Agree with pp's. It could be a first reaction, so be careful and get him tested.

skygoddess
11-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Also have them test for a sesame allergy -- it's probably in the teriyaki sauce and is becoming a common allergy. My DD had a reaction similar to your DC's when eating teriyaki sauce and is now confirmed to have a sesame allergy.

Fairy
11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
You don't need another opinion, but I'm a food allergy crazy person and go way way way overboard. I didn't give DS nuts till he was more than 3.5. I'd call the ped immediately, as this seems like shellfish to me.

hillview
11-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks all! I called and will do blood test in a couple of weeks.
/hillary