PDA

View Full Version : Preschool Treats- Will this be okay?

WitMom
11-10-2008, 08:37 PM
My daughter is taking treats to preschool on Wednesday. "Anything" (per her teacher) is allowed, as long as there aren't any peanuts. I know some moms may not approve of "sweet" treats, but I'm okay with it, and apparently the other moms are, too, because that is a lot of what is brought on treat day. (Not every day is treat day). So anyway, I thought I would make these:

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50605

I have all of the ingredients, but now I'm having a panic attack about the Whoppers being a choking hazard. Is this okay to take as a snack? BTW, this is a class of 3 and 4 y.o's.

kedss
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
will they have a 'healthy' snack with the treats? I personally wouldn't do this for a class, but its cute, and if the other parents have brought similar things, why not?

LarsMal
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
This must be the cookie DS's teacher is making for the Thanksgiving Feast at school. I don't know if they were planning on using the Whopper at all. When she sent me the list to okay the ingredients for DS, they were not listed. Maybe you could just use a choc. chip instead.

MamaKath
11-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow! Those are neat. It sounds like a fun Thanksgiving party! I would use Hershey Kisses instead of Whoppers. I think they would be less likely to be a choking hazard. Some kids just don't understand they need to chew something round. Good luck! :)

lizajane
11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
i actually disagree with the kisses alternative. they are hard and whoopers are crunchy/melty. (i personally can't stand them! but i think i remember right!)

i think 3 and 4 year olds will be fine with them. really, i do.

hellokitty
11-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Those are cute, but I wouldn't bring them. The parents at my son's preschool always seem to bring a lot of junky treats. I am maybe one out of two parents out of 19 who actually makes an effort to bring a, "healthy" snack. IMO, most kids at preschool are exposed to too much junk on a regular basis, not just for holiday parties, etc..

MamaMolly
11-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I think they are soooo cute! IIWY I'd just double check that everything is peanut free in the ingredients. I might use a gumdrop instead of the whopper.

I used to make a cornucopia using Bugles and Trix cereal. We'd use frosting as the glue and stick it all down on a graham cracker. It was super cute, too.

Tinkerbell313
11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Our DD/DS's preschool follows the guidelines of the USDA (only certain types of food for breakfast/lunch/required snacks) (i.e. only milk and/or water; whole wheat bread only, etc) and therefore the only sweets they get are what parents bring in...which is usally for special occasions (birthdays) and holidays. Considering all parents do not celebrate their child's birthday at the school...we do not see lots of treats at our school. And, here in our state, licensed preschools and daycares will only allow parents to bring in prepackaged foods. IMO, some of those are worse, regarding the ingredients listed on the package.

I would be OK with that treat knowing what I mentioned above. Also, knowing what my child gets at home. I would not worry about the whoppers being a choking hazard...especially at that age.

LarsMal
11-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Those are cute, but I wouldn't bring them. The parents at my son's preschool always seem to bring a lot of junky treats. I am maybe one out of two parents out of 19 who actually makes an effort to bring a, "healthy" snack. IMO, most kids at preschool are exposed to too much junk on a regular basis, not just for holiday parties, etc..

I have found, both when I taught, and now as a parent of a preschooler, that kids will eat the healthy snack that is offered to them. I had a rule for my room parents- for every junk/sweet treat they brought in there had to be a healthy option. I did this for DS's Halloween party this year, and the kids asked for more fruit over the sweet treat. His teacher thought it was a good idea, and I think she's going to start the rule, too.

MamaKath
11-11-2008, 12:17 AM
DS always likes to bring bananas in for snacks. He thinks it is such a HUGE treat! The preschool policy at our school (under K is covered by daycare law in our state) has to have individually wrapped snacks on regularly (not party) days along with a bunch of things that can not be sent in due to choking hazard. It is an invitation for cheap, junky snacks like "Little Debbies" which are so bad for the kids. Most parents forget that fruit in its skin counts as individually wrapped! :)

bubbaray
11-11-2008, 12:18 AM
What about mandarin (Japanese) oranges? Those are individually wrapped too! :)

mom2binsd
11-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Those are so cute...I'm a parent who doesn't mind treats to be cookies and such...I give them lots of healthy stuff at home...and I can say after eating a bunch of DC's whoppers from Halloween that they are pretty easy to eat, should be fine for that age.