PDA

View Full Version : DD wants to invite her teacher to her dance recital -- WWYD?

skygoddess
11-11-2008, 02:22 AM
My DD is going to be dancing in a community center production of the Nutcracker next month. I've purchased a number of tickets to invite family and friends as guests.

DD really want to invite her kindergarten teacher to one of the performances, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm thrilled that she adores her teacher and wants to include her in an event that means a lot to her.

However, I'm wondering whether the teacher really wants to give up part of a weekend in mid-December. She has college-aged kids who may or may not be back home at that point, I'm not sure. The performance is an abbreviated version of the Nutcracker, so it's only about an hour long, but still.......she probably doesn't need one more thing to do before the holidays, and I don't want to put her on the spot.

WWYD?

Thanks!

new_mommy25
11-11-2008, 02:28 AM
I would invite her. She may or may not come. Why not?

irie i
11-11-2008, 03:33 AM
It's your daughter's recital so she should be able to choose to invite someone. Explain to the teacher that your daughter loves her and wants her to come but that you understand she may have other obligations around the holidays. She may or may not have other things to do. I know I would love to have an invite like that. Ever since I moved out of my parents home for college I have never been able to go back for the holidays because work doesn't permit it. If it doesn't sound like she is in to it then you can keep the invite for a family member/friend. :)

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2008, 08:26 AM
I'd let her invite her and find out if she can come before you dish out the tickets. She might enjoy doing something like that with her kids, so I'd offer up a second ticket for one of them if she is interested.

As a teacher, I was often invited to go to such performances. Sometimes I wanted to go, sometimes I felt obligated and would have rather just relaxed at home. I think you already have the right attitude, so inviting her wouldn't hurt. DD will likely understand if you explain it correctly. She can also bring pictures of the event afterward for show and tell. It is sweet of DD to want to invite her :)

caleymama
11-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I agree with the others - I would go ahead and invite her, but let your DD know that it's a busy time of year and her teacher might not be able to come. I like the idea of her sharing pics afterward if the teacher isn't able to make it. I'm sure the teacher will be flattered!

JustMe
11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I think you could invite her and preface it with "I don't know if you do these sort of things..and understand that you probably have a lot of other things to do around that time". Let her know that dd loves her and asked to have her there, but that you would have no problem explaining to dd if she can't come. You just never know how a teacher would feel about this...and it would be good not to assume either way.

JTsMom
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Ditto the others. I'd invite her, explain that there was no obligation of course, and see what she says. I never taught full time, but I did intern in K and 1st, and I would have been honored if one of the kids had invited me to something like that- I think it's really sweet!