PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between these Willow and E&A Kitchens?

junebaby07
11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
I am trying to decide between these kitchens for a christmas gift for my 18 month old dd. We will not get a fridge now, but may get one for her birthday in May, if she is really into the play kitchen.

1. Willow Ivy - Benefit is this arrives fully assembled.

http://www.willowtoys.com/catalog.php?item=38&catid=6&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D6

2. E&A Sylvie - About the same price as Ivy w/ shipping, but I like how the cabinets and oven have a shelf in them for better storage. Also like that the counter has some room for workspace by the stove. This is slightly bigger than the IVY, but would fit fine.

http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2322/.f

3. E&A Christina Kitchen - this is the same as the Sylvie but doesn't have the hutch w/ shelves like Ivy and Sylvie do. Pro is it is about $50 less expensive. I wonder if we will miss the storage space of the extra shelves? The shelves on the hutch don't look that deep, so I wonder how useful they are. My husband would be happy w/ the cheaper price, but I'd rather just get what will be most useful.

http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2325/.f#

Thanks for any input!

annasmom
11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
I bought the E&A Lucy kitchen (looks exactly like the Sylvie - maybe it was renamed?) and Jacob's Ice Box for my dc a few years ago. They are beautifully made, and have held up really well.

I cannot imagine what "some assemby required" could mean. Perhaps you have to put the sink bowl in? Our pieces came fully assembled. From the picture it looks like the sink is a metal bowl, ours was a plastic rubbermaid type bowl. I know they sold them with metal bowls/sinks years ago - maybe they do again, or maybe it is an old picture?

I cannot really offer you a comparison between the E&A and the Willow. I know the Willow kitchens also get very good reviews. I know I compared the two also, and I really do not remember why I choose E&A over the Willow.

I will say however, that I would go for the extra shelves. We use ours to store and/or play with the pots and pans, dishes and play food.

If you have any other specific questions, just let me know!

ETA: I am sorry, I was just looking at the Sylvie closer, and it is definitely different than the Lucy. The Lucy had no extra counter space up top - just the sink and the stove top. Other than that, it looks like the same kitchen, same size, etc.

KBecks
11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
I would recommend the Ivy or Christina. We have last year's model of the Sylvie and it's lovely, but the boys stand on the oven door and it hits the floor when open. The hinges got bent (Dad fixed no problem), but I think a smaller oven door is the way to go.

It is not a huge deal, but if I had to choose again I'd get a different style.

jennifer_r
11-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't have the E&A kitchen but we do have a the Willow kitchen by Willow Toys (a different kitchen still). I just want to comment on the quality - excellent. I too debated between E&A and Willow Toys and I had heard great things about both companies. The reason I went for a Willow kitchen is that I decided to support the "smaller" company - though I know that E&A is also a small company as well, just not as small as Willow Toys. I had just figured with all things being equal, I decided to go for the company with less marketing, less heard of, etc. thinking they might need my business more. That was 2 years ago.

My DDs barely use the shelves - they're not that deep. We ended up getting the refrigerator the following Christmas and that gets a lot of use.

HTH

brittone2
11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
We have an E&A kitchen and have been happy with it. Ours has a one-shelf hutch above the countertop...I can't remember the model name anymore. We also have the refrigerator (mostly storage).

The craftsmanship is excellent, and I've heard great things about both companies.

You may find you don't *need* a fridge depending on how much play food you end up with (and IME, less is more. DS played better when we had fewer things. Several family members bought him *more* food and more food and soon it was too much and we gave it away.). The fridge is expensive for storage space, kwim? But, if you have a lot of play food you may want it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company! They both have a great reputation for making a beautiful product.

blisstwins
11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't have the E&A kitchen but we do have a the Willow kitchen by Willow Toys (a different kitchen still). I just want to comment on the quality - excellent. I too debated between E&A and Willow Toys and I had heard great things about both companies. The reason I went for a Willow kitchen is that I decided to support the "smaller" company - though I know that E&A is also a small company as well, just not as small as Willow Toys. I had just figured with all things being equal, I decided to go for the company with less marketing, less heard of, etc. thinking they might need my business more. That was 2 years ago.

My DDs barely use the shelves - they're not that deep.

This is us exactly, including the reason we bought from Willow. It is a beautiful kitchen. I just adore it and so do my children.The shelves hold very little--decorations really. We don't consider them storage at all. A lot fits inside the doors, however, and we keep a seperate box of play food.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I am in the same boat. I love the Camden Rose, but cannot justify the price. I am leaning towards the Willow Liam. G-ma is hopefully going to buy it for her. We are buying the food and accessories. Our DD will be 2 in April, and she may get a fridge then.

I think the quality of both E&A and willow is comparable. I like the more modern look of the Liam.

HTH a little!

JoyNChrist
11-12-2008, 03:27 AM
Based on looks alone I like the Sylvie best.

junebaby07
11-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I am still undecided. I really like that the IVY is already assembled - I just wish it had a divided / shelved cabinet like the Sylvie. It is also nice that the sylvie has some counter space beside the sink - do you think that is really valuable?

For those that have the IVY are you bothered that the cabinet space isn't divided and doesn't have shelves?

brittone2
11-13-2008, 09:21 PM
I am still undecided. I really like that the IVY is already assembled - I just wish it had a divided / shelved cabinet like the Sylvie. It is also nice that the sylvie has some counter space beside the sink - do you think that is really valuable?

For those that have the IVY are you bothered that the cabinet space isn't divided and doesn't have shelves?

We don't have the Ivy...we have the Julianna. THe bottom is all continuous (so the oven isn't separated from the storage space). DC have never cared, honestly.

I think the extra workspace might be handy, but I think as long as you don't get too carried away with playfood, kids don't care much (mine prep right on the burners without complaint ;) ) Wouldn't work IRL with a real kitchen, but they just "prep" on the floor or over the burner area. YMMV.

junebaby07
11-15-2008, 11:57 AM
After much deliberation, I am going to get the E&A Sylvie from Nova Naturals. The main reasons were the increased storage and the "work area" by the sink. Since we are not getting a fridge right away, I think this might make it easier to have a playmate also playing with it and the extra storage might keep things neater. I hope we like it!

bubbaray
11-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I like the looks of the Willow Ivy the best.