PDA

View Full Version : Is there a subtle way to patch my jeans?

TonFirst
11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
I have had a pair of Paige jeans for about 3.5 years - I bought them after I lost the baby weight from my son. One daughter later, they finally fit again - yay! I love these jeans - they're soft and broken-in and they are ultra comfortable. Also, they are kind to my behind (heh).

But! I can see that I'm about to wear a hole through in one of the knees. I would like to reinforce the jeans from the inside - what can I use to do this? Thanks!

spanannie
11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
If you take them to an alterations place, they will repair from the inside and you will not be able to tell! I've had really big holes that they've made almost disappear! You may have a large piece of denim fabric on the inside of the leg, which can feel kind of funny, but it does save the jeans!

I have had a pair of Paige jeans for about 3.5 years - I bought them after I lost the baby weight from my son. One daughter later, they finally fit again - yay! I love these jeans - they're soft and broken-in and they are ultra comfortable. Also, they are kind to my behind (heh).

But! I can see that I'm about to wear a hole through in one of the knees. I would like to reinforce the jeans from the inside - what can I use to do this? Thanks!

JTsMom
11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
There are patches you can buy and just iron on, or you could just buy some interfacing and do the same thing. You can't see through them yet, right?

TonFirst
11-11-2008, 12:03 PM
No, no hole yet. I was thinking there must be some kind of wonder-under type interfacing. Would I find something at Jo-Ann or Hobby Lobby?

JTsMom
11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Yep- that's it exactly! Both Joanne's and HL will have it. I would probably go with something medium weight- they'll have a variety of types. To light-weight might not offer enough protection, too heavy mike make that one spot too stiff. Make sure it says fusible so you can just iron it on as opposed to sewing it on (which would show). You can buy it by the yard- I'd just get 1/8 of a yd. unless you need it for something else- or by the package. By the yard will be cheaper though.

american_mama
11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Is there an attractive way to patch jeans AFTER a big hole has been worn through? I ask mostly about children's jeans, so embellishments like butterfly patches are fine. My daughter has several jeans with 50 cent piece holes in the knee, or larger and I just don't know anything about patches, cute or plain old denim. Do I sew or iron them? Do I do it over the threadbare fibers or over a denim patch first?