PDA

View Full Version : Mudroom Organization Ideas??

annasmom
11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
My "mudroom" is really my laundry room/mudroom. There really isn't a lot of room for those beautiful (and large) PB-esque set-ups.

Right now I have a cheap-o shelf with hooks and shoe rack, but with the new baby coming, I need something a bit bigger.

I need something to store shoes and to hang coats. I would LOVE to have a shelf where I could fit some baskets for other storage, e.g., for winter mittens & hats.

So, does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? What do you do to store all your shoes, coats, etc.?

brittone2
11-11-2008, 03:03 PM
nak-
our mudroom is also a small laundry room unfortunately.

We have a coat rack (wall mounted) from Ikea. It has a big shelf across the top where we keep a basket w/ hats/mittens, etc. off season (we're in NC so they aren't used that much).

We have two hooks down low for the kids to hang their own coats. There's a shelf under the coat rack for shoes (mounted right to the wall so we can sweep under it easily). Two hooks next to the coat rack for canvas grocery bags. On the back of the door (inside the laundry room) we have a hanging shoe rack (pocket-style) for spare change, cell phones, keys, those store cards and gift cards that we don't want in our wallet constantly, and you could certainly put hats/gloves in there too.

AngelaS
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
My laundry room is also my mud room. On the back of the door, I have a shoe holder thingy that I store mittens, hats and other such things in. Behind the door, when it's open, I have two rows of coat hooks. One row is down low for the girls' coats and one's up high for mine and dh's coats. I has have another smaller set of hooks where I hang my purses. :)

justlearning
11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
We do have a coat closet where my husband and I hang our coats, but everything else goes into our laundry room that also serves as our mudroom. We don't wear shoes in the house, so we store all of our in-season shoes in five-drawer vertical plastic, see-through storage container units that come with the option of rolling casters (I left them off). Walmart sells some similar to the ones I have but they're not quite as deep so not as functional. I got mine a couple of years ago from Sams Club for around $23 each--if you're interested, I can give you their dimensions. I have 6 lined up in a row together so 30 drawers total and have each bin labeled with its contents. I can fit two pairs of my size-9 1/2 shoes in each drawer and my husband can fit 1 pair (or 2 if flip flops/slippers) of his size-13's in the drawers. I can get 3-4 pairs of the kids' shoes in a drawer.

I also use these drawers for hats, gloves, my purse refill drawer (with mints, wallet, gift cards, inhalers, etc.), etc. We use the top of these units as work surface as well (with a paper shredder because I sort mail in there, a basket on top for loose socks, etc.). Above that we have a peg rack where we hang all our bags, etc. This would work for hanging shorter coats if we weren't using that work space there.

I then have another peg rack hung on a different wall in the room (at the boys' height) for the boys' coats, backpack, etc. I have LOVED my organizational system. It has definitely maximized the usefulness of the space and I appreciate being able to easily access all our shoes, gloves, etc. by just pulling out the drawers without having to see/smell the shoes. Because they're plastic, it's also super easy to just wipe them clean inside when they start getting dirty.

Hope this helps!

StantonHyde
11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I got some California Closet organizers from Target that I love. I have a 4 shoe storage base and a cubby on top of it. The cubby has 4 hooks and a shelf--DH and I each have one. Then on the other wall, we have a coat peg rack that has 4 little cubbies and a box on top. That's where the kids' coats get hung. On the back of the door, I hung a plastic shoe organizer and I put the kids shoes in there plus hats and mittens.