PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to full time child care from being at home

egoldber
11-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Amy is currently going to a 2 year old program for 2 mornings a week. I am looking for a full time job, and if all goes well I think I would realistically start something no sooner than early January. Her preschool (our local JCC) has space for her in their full time child care and she could basically start any time. Their child care includes the preschool program.

I am think of sending her 3 or 5 days a week starting next week with the idea that this would help both her and me transition to a more full time schedule. It would also give me more time to send in applications which I am finding almost impossible to do while she is home and awake.

Also, I am dreading the thought of getting both kids up and out the door in the mornings. I am wondering if I should postpone this as long as possible LOL or else start to do it now before adding in the stress of also getting MYSELF ready and out the door for work. Right now I just wear the mom uniform of yoga pants and yoga T and a pullover and I'm dressed for drop off...

HIU8
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I would do it now if you can afford to do so. DS goes 4x a week at our JCC, Tues and Thurs he goes full days though, so I can get some work done while DD sleeps and not have to pay a babysitter (I work from home PT and have a babysitter m,w, f in the afternoons). Doing it now gets your rhythm going so it's not such a drastic change when you start back.

egoldber
11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
It's about $200 more a month to switch from 2 to 5 days a week for preschool. I think it's probably worth it to get the additional child care time if it helps me job hunt.

This is just for the preschool, so it would be M-F from 9-1. I would wait until I actually started work to add in the additional child care.

kcandz
11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I think some of it depends on temperment of your kids but in general I echo starting now. You don't want to be establishing new routines at home while learning a new job. If the routine is in place now, it will be constant for your kids, which I believe eases the stress they may sense from you as your routine changes. I recommend doing the full 5 days, but maybe picking up earlier, so it isn't such a long day. Then it can go towards full time all day as it gets closer to your start date.

HIU8
11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
It is worth it, I think. We did extended care 2x a week b/c the benefits outweighed anything else. DS is in a safe environment and loves it, and I get work done which brings in more $$ to help offset preschool and household expenses. Does your JCC have classes that they take the kids out of extended care for and then bring them back when the class is over. DS was in karate on Tuesdays, so he got to do something other than play and nap in the afternoons (just as if he were home and I took him to a class).

egoldber
11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Does your JCC have classes that they take the kids out of extended care for and then bring them back when the class is over.

They do, but not until age 3.

saschalicks
11-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Well we have both boys FT at the local JCC ourselves. Let me tell you that DS1 is in his 2nd year and DS2 is in his 1st year (day care before that) and getting them up in the morning sucks still. I would start getting her into the routine ASAP if you can afford it. The boys are just a bear to wake in the AM, and I'm not much of a morning person to begin with. You'll need the routine when you begin working as much as they will.

I remember when DH was unemployed we kept DS1 (I was pregnant w/DS2) in day care as long as we could afford to b/c he said that taking care of DS and applying for jobs was IMPOSSIBLE!! I can totally see why. I think you need to do it so you can make sure to get that done and do interviews during the time that she's at school. If anything do 3 days a week FT and then when you get the job go to the 5 days a week.

GL and HTH! :hug5:

sste
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
5 days a week mornings is a modest amount of childcare - - I wouldn't hesitate. Better for DC to have it be a gradual transition and less stressful for you. I see no downside to this plan!

I am not good at getting MYSELF out of the house in the morning and we have a nanny. What has helped me is to pack my lunch the night before, pack my bag/pocketbook the night before, and make sure all bottles/food etc are ready to go in the fridge.

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I think the extra time will make you a lot more flexible with scheduling interviews, planning your new work wardrobe, stockpiling frozen meals, and preparing yourself for the changes.

BTW, I'm proud of you for stepping up and doing this for your family. I think that it isn't your dream to be going back to work, but I don't think I've read where you've complained about it. Seems like you have a healthy helpful attitude about the situation.

niccig
11-11-2008, 06:43 PM
BTW, I'm proud of you for stepping up and doing this for your family. I think that it isn't your dream to be going back to work, but I don't think I've read where you've complained about it. Seems like you have a healthy helpful attitude about the situation.

I want to agree with this. I know someone else in a similar situation and she's refused to look for work. Her husband is looking, but from what I've seen he's under extra pressure as his wife won't entertain the thought of returning to work. Her attitude is that it's his problem to find work and not hers. I have to think that with 2 people applying for jobs, you increase the odds of one of you getting work and easing the financial burden for your family. I hope something comes up soon for either you or DH, and with your positive attitude, I'm sure it will.

egoldber
11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
If anything do 3 days a week FT and then when you get the job go to the 5 days a week.

That's an idea I hadn't considered. That may make even more sense! I will have to compare the cost differences to say how 5 half days (preschool only) compares to 3 full days.

I'm proud of you for stepping up and doing this for your family.

Well thank you, but I think you give me way too much credit. I may not have moaned here but I have at home LOL!! I know DH wishes I were more on the ball about this, but he realizes now, after spending more time at home during the day (!!!!), how hard it is for me to get ANYTHING done while Amy is awake.

I know someone else in a similar situation and she's refused to look for work. Her husband is looking, but from what I've seen he's under extra pressure as his wife won't entertain the thought of returning to work.

Now that I just do.not.get. No income = bad, yes??? This is not how I envisioned going back to work, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I won't be able to make anything like what DH was making, but what I think I can get will cover our mortgage and basics and provide health benefits. DH has had lots of interest, but no one is hiring right now in his field and most of his friends are worried about THEIR jobs. :( He's got lots of strong interest in contract work, so that would be terrific, but no benefits, so we're hoping some of that pans out too. If I get what I expect full time and he gets sufficient contract work we'll be OK for some time.