PDA

View Full Version : First flight with our 2 month old DD

Jenn850
11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
I would love to hear your tips, tricks and advice! We are going to a family owned condo on Siesta Key. It is a non-stop 3 hour trip on jet blue. We were going to try and pass the car seat as a carry-on or check it at the gate. What else do I need to think about? With breastfeeding would I rather have the window than the aisle?? Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm guessing you're flying into Sarasota. The airport there is very easy to deal with, and it is very small. Siesta is beautiful. The sand there is my favorite on the whole coast.

If you weren't nursing, I'd say to go get a Bushwhacker at the Dacquiri Deck. Yum.

Traveling with a 2 mo. old seems scary to begin with (for me it was), but in reality it was easier than any other time.

I'd ask for a window seat. Be sure to change the baby before the flight (no changing tables on plane.) Your plan to carry the seat to the gate sounds good. I usually bag mine if I do that as I don't like the dirty luggage cabin. There may be an extra seat, so ask at the gate, then you'll be able to put the baby in the carseat in a seat.

We really like to wear the baby on the plane. They make you unhook the baby for takeoff and landing, but I find it so much more comfortable to sit there with my hands free. We use the Ergo when flying, and find it is also great for walking on the beach . Whatever carrier you have will be fine.

I'm trying to think if there is a good store nearby to stock up on any baby stuff you'll need. With that area being a retirement area, baby items are sometimes less plentiful in the stores.

Enjoy your trip! Oh, one thing that's kinda neat there are drum circles on the beach. Ask around when they do the drumming thing. It's always a treat to happen upon it.

maylips
11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Everything she said (except I haven't been to Sarasota, so can't comment on that). The window seat is definitely more private than the aisle, and gives you a place to rest your arm too.

I flew with DD when she was that age and was scared to death, but yes, it's actually much easier, especially if you're EBF and don't have to deal with any formula. It gets harder when they start eating solids!

I would agree with a window seat. Definitely play the "clueless mom" role at the airport and ask when you check in if there are extra seats so you can carry the car seat on the plane, and again when you get up to the gate.

The hardest part is getting through security. You have to fold up the stroller, take off jackets, remove shoes, etc, all while holding the baby. Some airports will make you remove baby's shoes if she's wearing them. The Ergo was my saving grace - that, and getting to the airport in plenty of time so you're not rushed.

Carry on an extra top for you and a change of clothes for the baby. Dress DC in an outfit easy to change diapers in because again, you're at the airport with all of this luggage and it's a pain to keep up with everything. It sounds like you're going with family, so that's great - I flew alone, so keeping up with everything by myself was tough!

Enjoy your trip!

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Gross as they may be, grab a few of the little airplane pillows to make nursing more comfortable in your seat.

Tondi G
11-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Sounds like everyone has you pretty much covered! If your little one is awake you should nurse on the way up and when you are landing... it will help with their ears/pressure! I second the rec for a change for baby and something for mom too... babies are known to blowout or puke all over mom... baby will be nice and clean with a change but mama gets off the plane looking like a bomb went off! LOL

With any luck baby will sleep and it will be the easiest flight you remember taking with your LO!

hillview
11-12-2008, 03:38 PM
I'd get a window seat although I have nursed in the aisle seat. I'd bring a blanket or hooter hider. This is a super easy age to travel. I'd bring a soft bag or pillow to rest arm on for nursing/holding DC. I flew Boston to SF with DS #1 on lap and my arm got tired holding him after a while. I'd check with the deck when you check in to see if there is an extra seat for your car seat -- rare these days but worth asking -- I was lucky a few times few years ago. I'd bring extra diapers as planes cause blow outs for us. I'd bring extra clothes for you and DC in case of spit up.

Have fun!
/hillary