PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for surviving metformin?

merianne16
11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
My husband and I are TTC baby #2. I was on metformin before while TTC baby #1 and it was a nightmare- it made me nauseated all the time and I threw up often. Now that I have a 2 year old I need to be able to maintain some sort of mommy functionality and still take my meds! Any ideas? Any tips on what to eat/not eat, how often, etc..... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

MelissaTC
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Are you taking the regular or extended release? I found that the XR was better for me. Watch what you are eating. If you consume high carbs and sugars, you will feel terrible and your stomach won't love you. I have PCOS and take it regularly and found that really watching my sugar intake helps with the gastro side effects. You need to give yourself some time for your body to adjust as well.

Wishing you lots of luck and baby dust... :)

kransden
11-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Also try taking it after you have eaten some food. It is awful on an empty stomach.

brittone2
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I did regular with DS (1500 mg). I thought I was going to die. Morning sickness with DS was nothing in comparison to how sick I was when I started met.

I went back on when he turned 2ish and requested XR...so. much. better. (2000 mg, but so much easier to tolerate)

In both instances I was always advised to "ramp up" on the dose. Start with just 500mg per day, and as you can tolerate it, up your dose to what you are supposed to be taking. Much better. It was also easier to get ramped up more quickly with the XR in my experience.

Yes, watch what you eat. Too much sugar/carb stuff sort of negates the intent anyway, but beyond that, it makes many metformin users sick.

Do you know about www.soulcysters.net? (http://www.soulcysters.net?) Lots of good advice there, and a section on metformin related issues specifically.

supercalifragilous
11-12-2008, 01:42 AM
It took me 6 months to get used to metformin while TTC DD. I had painless diarrhea for SIX MONTHS, but no nausea. The diarrhea was awful - things went right through me - but I finally got used to it. I also have PCOS (and still have it after DD). I continued the metformin while BF and am still on it, though lately I've dropped a lot of weight and noticed I don't need so much anymore (I'm on 850 mg, twice a day); I noticed I'll get the same diarrhea in the morning if I take a whole pill and don't "overcarb" so I'm tinkering with my dosage. I'd rather take less meds and watch the carbs instead of eating carbs to prevent the runs, KWIM?

I don't know if I'm on the extended release (XR). I just get the generic - does it specify? it's the same stuff I've always been getting through mail order.

When I first started on it, I HAD to take with food, but now I think I've abused my body enough that I can tolerate it on an empty stomach. I've never been great about taking regular meds in a timely manner (plus I forget a lot), so I think my body just got used to it.

MelissaTC
11-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know if I'm on the extended release (XR). I just get the generic - does it specify? it's the same stuff I've always been getting through mail order.

The Dr. has to specify for the XR. I was just with my Endo yesterday and asked her for a script. When we were talking about it, she realized through the conversation that I take the XR and had to correct the script she wrote. I take 2 750mg pills together after dinner.

brittone2
11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
It took me 6 months to get used to metformin while TTC DD. I had painless diarrhea for SIX MONTHS, but no nausea. The diarrhea was awful - things went right through me - but I finally got used to it. I also have PCOS (and still have it after DD). I continued the metformin while BF and am still on it, though lately I've dropped a lot of weight and noticed I don't need so much anymore (I'm on 850 mg, twice a day); I noticed I'll get the same diarrhea in the morning if I take a whole pill and don't "overcarb" so I'm tinkering with my dosage. I'd rather take less meds and watch the carbs instead of eating carbs to prevent the runs, KWIM?

When I first started on it, I HAD to take with food, but now I think I've abused my body enough that I can tolerate it on an empty stomach. I've never been great about taking regular meds in a timely manner (plus I forget a lot), so I think my body just got used to it.

There's generic XR as well. As the PP said, they just have to specify XR on the RX. It is *much* more tolerable. I can take 4x500 before bed in one shot...no nausea. My nausea when re-starting using the XR was about 1/4 of what it was (if that) when I was taking regular metformin, and the XR was a 500mg higher dose. Never had diarrhea on the XR (obviously, this is an individual thing), just some nausea.

supercalifragilous
11-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't ever remember my Rx specifying "XR" so I don't think I've ever been on it - I've been on the same thing since 2002, back when it wasn't available as generic, and I don't think XR was out back then.

*sigh* I'll have to finish out this 3-month supply (since I do mail order) and then ask my MD for a new Rx. I'm awful about remembering my morning dose (and I'm tinkering with it anyway, taking 1/2 a pill) so taking ONE dose a day would be great once I get it all figured out!

brittone2
11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't ever remember my Rx specifying "XR" so I don't think I've ever been on it - I've been on the same thing since 2002, back when it wasn't available as generic, and I don't think XR was out back then.

*sigh* I'll have to finish out this 3-month supply (since I do mail order) and then ask my MD for a new Rx. I'm awful about remembering my morning dose (and I'm tinkering with it anyway, taking 1/2 a pill) so taking ONE dose a day would be great once I get it all figured out!

That's what I like. Once a day and done instead of having to remember 3-4x a day (which is what I did before!). THe XR was just an all-around better experience for me, for sure. Waaaay less nausea and I was able to ramp up to the full dose much more quickly.

I hope that it works out for you!

TaChapm
11-13-2008, 12:01 AM
The XR really helped me out a lot! I had terrible nausea and diarrhea when I first started it but after about 2 weeks I was able to get through it. Those 2 weeks were miserable but worth it in the long run. Hope things ease up for you!

merianne16
11-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the responses!! My Dr. prescribed 750mg XR twice a day. Right now he said to start with one pill then after about a week to add the second one. The bottle says to take it twice a day-do I take one in the morning and then one at night? It sounds like some of you take your entire dosage in the morning.......

I have been so careful with my diet since I started the pills 3 days ago. That combined with being on the XR version has REALLY helped! I only notice any nausea if it's been more than a couple hours since I've eated so I make sure I get good snacks between my meals.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

brittone2
11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the responses!! My Dr. prescribed 750mg XR twice a day. Right now he said to start with one pill then after about a week to add the second one. The bottle says to take it twice a day-do I take one in the morning and then one at night? It sounds like some of you take your entire dosage in the morning.......

I have been so careful with my diet since I started the pills 3 days ago. That combined with being on the XR version has REALLY helped! I only notice any nausea if it's been more than a couple hours since I've eated so I make sure I get good snacks between my meals.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

With XR, my understanding is that it is fine to take them all at once (and that's how mine are RX'd.). You may want to confirm with your doc but that's kind of the point of XR. It is nice to not have to tote it around with me all of the time, etc. I just take it before bed and have no problem (I wouldn't recommend starting out that way until you are used to it...definitely take w/ food until you are feeling better).

Octobermommy
11-13-2008, 05:11 PM
You can take the 2 XR pills together. It was recommended to me to take them in the middle of my evening meal and it helped with the nauseau/ stomach issues.