PDA

View Full Version : iphone users - Are you in love?

AmyZ
11-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking about taking the plunge, and I just want to make sure all you guys love your iphone. :heartbeat:

kristenk
11-12-2008, 10:26 AM
YES!

I adore my phone and I'm so glad that I got it. I don't appreciate the monthly plan cost all that much, but I had the cheapest possible plan for the past, um, 8 years or so, so I'm using that as justification for a more expensive phone/plan than I would normally get. :D

A few things I love:
- ipod/iphone combo. I only have to take one piece of equipment when I go walking while DD's in school.

- web browser. I was able to use it yesterday while I was shopping to see if the Calico Critters at Marshall's were really a bargain or not.

- calendar. I always have my calendar with me and it syncs easily to my macbook. No more *thinking* that next Monday looks good for a playdate; now I know for sure.

- applications. There are tons of worthwhile free applications available and many, many more paid aps that are definitely worth it. DD is entertained by looking at the pictures on my phone or playing Jirbo's matching game. DH and I have a good source of restaurant/movie reviews when we're out and about. I no longer mind waiting in car line at school or during swimming class b/c of a couple of games.

- photos. Being able to take photos and email them directly (and, oh, so easily) from the phone is absolutely, positively wonderful. The relatives appreciate it, too, b/c I'm pretty bad about downloading pics from my regular camera to the computer and getting them sent out. We recently went on a short vacation and were able to email pics out during our trip. It was also wonderful being able to download pics to my phone from my email account while DD and I were visiting my mom w/o DH a few months ago. DD desperately missed our kitties and DH sent some pictures of them to her.

- easy access to email accounts. My phone is set up to check my yahoo and gmail accounts. The email app is very user friendly and checking email is no longer the long drawn-out procedure it was on my old phone.

I know that some of the features I've mentioned aren't exclusive to the iphone and my old phone was such a piece of junk that it's hard for me to be truly objective about my iphone. :) I'm interested in seeing what other people have to say!

jhrabosk
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Definitely in love.

DH had to do a REALLY hard sell to convince me...the cost and the fact that I'd been a Verizon customer since I had Bell Atlantic Mobile and a cinderblock of a cell phone.

It's sleek, and convenient, and user-friendly. I did struggle with a learning curve getting it set up properly at the start...I'm pretty computer savvy, but use a PC at home and had to spend some time getting my contacts and calendars synched.

I have a little bit of a hard time swallowing the monthly cost as well, but I was on the road to some sort of smartphone anyway for work purposes. And with AT&T's rollover minutes, we have more minutes than we can use and have talked about cutting our home landline to just basic local calling.

Good luck!

supercalifragilous
11-12-2008, 12:02 PM
E-mailing pics is the one thing I think the iPhone has over the iTouch.

I'm not willing to switch to AT&T since all my friends & family are on Verizon, but if the iTouch had a camera, I'd be sold on it for sure. They'll probably incorporate it into the next version, along with iPhoto and you can just use your online e-mail to send it to everyone.

Currently with my LG ENV2 I can only text my camera phone pics to others, but not via e-mail, which stinks b/c they can't view them on the computer. I have to take out my microSD card and download it, but I have a hard enough time remembering to do that with my camera's SD card!

Does the iPhone have an external storage solution (like a microSD card)?

niccig
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
DH wants me to have his old iPhone, so he can get the new 3G iPhone. I'm resisting, as I'm too cheap to pay the $30 a month data plan for the new 3G iPhone. We already pay $20 a month for DH's dataplan. For both of us, it would be $50 a month or $600 a year to access internet from our phones, and neither of us has the need to do that. If we needed it for work and could write it off as expenses, then OK, but we don't need to be online at the park IYKWIM. ATT are coming out with a new Samsung touch screen phone that is not a smart phone, so no need for a more expensive data plan. I'm waiting to see what it is like. My main interest is having the calendar sync with either iCal or google calendars. I can see the benefit of having some applications that DS can use, and we have some on DH's iPhone, and I'll see what the Samsung can or can not do. Some phones have WiFi access and you can disable the data plan portion and then only access the Internet at free WiFi spots, you can't do this with teh iPhone. I think it depends on what you use your phone for. Do you need to get your email out and about? Do you need to look at web pages? Do you need to use it for documents etc? My other complaint about the iPhone or Blackberry, and another mum I know has the same complaint, is that our DHs' will whip it out and check the football score etc if we have to wait somewhere rather than interact with the kids. We were at a pumpking patch before Halloween and both Dads were checking scores instead of playing/helping to choose pumpkins. We were not impressed at all. - but that's a problem with our DH's not the phone.

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
My friend called me from hers Monday and got cut off 4 times because of ATT service. Check the coverage in your area. She's in a populated area in our state capital.

DH is in love with his Touch. We were able to pull up MIL's Google Calendar yesterday while scheduling the next OB appt. Worked out well to know she has an 11:00 lunch on the day we need her to babysit, so we were able to get an early appt.

Twoboos
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
DH loves his. In fact, "Love" is too mild a term. DDs also love the iPhone - they watch shows, play games, look at pics, listen to music, etc.

DH wants tme to get one, but I hate AT&t and refuse to use them. DH can't use the phone aspect of the phone in our house due to crappy coverage. Top of the driveway or in the street, sure. Not IN our house.

BillK
11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Iphone seems cool and all - but I'll keep my Blackberry Curve and just add an Itouch someday.

VClute
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, I don't think LOVE is the right word for it. When it works, it's great. I love being able to check my email (or the boards) while I'm waiting in the pick-up line. I've also used the gps function, and that's pretty cool to have on a phone. But I've had more dropped calls in the past month since getting the Iphone than I had had in the previous year with my Sprint service. So I agree with the PP - check the service area.

jamierush
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I am wondering the same thing.

I so want to take the plunge but I am a 10 year Verizion cell phone user and love their coverage area. And since I travel for work...I really need one.

I was going to wait to see how teh Blackberry Storm is reviewed before I take the plunge.

jamierush
11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
For those of you with Dropped calls, did you upgrade to the latest software?

BeachBum
11-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Yes. I do love mine.
I too had a pretty basic phone before, so some of the features everyone else has had for a while I am enjoying for the first time.
One thing I use a lot that hasn't been mentioned is Google maps. I drive a car with no nav system and find myself using the maps quite a bit.
The camera on the phone is surprisingly good. I can't really tell which pics I took with my phone and which ones with my real camera (except for the lack of zoom).

For me, it wasn't something that I "needed" but boy it would be hard to give it up now that I have it.