PDA

View Full Version : What to wear to an interview?

egoldber
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I've been avoiding this train of thought LOL, but I have a phone interview next week and I am hoping for the best. This job is perfect for my background, is only 2 miles from my home, convenient to Amy's preschool and Sarah's school. I am very excited!!!!

Anyway, it's been 13 (yes, 13!!) years since my last job interview and I have absolutely no idea what to wear. It's a very large, multinational statistical consulting firm. The job is primarily a desk job doing contract statistical analysis for pharmaceutical applications to the FDA, but the job is with a consulting firm, not a pharma.

kedss
11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd probably wear what you think you would wear on a daily basis-I would think nice slacks, blouse? maybe a dark suit?

cvanbrunt
11-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Cool gig. DH is in pharma and works with these vendors all the time. Wear a suit.

Momof3Labs
11-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Suit, or at least a professional jacket with pants or skirt, and heels. Pants suit is okay IMO (vs. a skirted suit), but I'd definitely do more than a blouse and pants.

Good luck!!

egoldber
11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
So where should I buy a suit? I want something nice, but I'm not sure Brooks Brothers is in the budget right now KWIM?

janeybwild
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Congrats on the interview, and fingers crossed for you. My current work wardrobe comes mainly from Ann Taylor Loft. They have petite and Tall available which helps, and with sales, can be a good price point. I would buy a good pair of dress pants (make sure they are the right length with heels on) and pair it with a crisp button down blouse, some killer heels and briefcase and you look the part. The problem with a suit IMO is it gathers dust when not interviewing. I have had good luck in the past at TJ Max for a suit though. I get more wear out of mix and match pieces. You can also add a coordinating jacket or coat to the pants shirt combo, but it doesn’t have to be a suit. I got a killer coat at H & M that makes any outfit, so it doesn't all have to come from one place.
Although a bit pricey, this is the look I mean:
http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/outfit.jsp?ensembleId=3657&N=1200048&categoryId=246&pCategoryId=245&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_246&currentPageNo=2

niccig
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Can you ask around friends first. Someone might have something that would work.
To buy, I found a nice suit at Ann Taylor Loft when I was interviewing a few years back. It was still $200 between the pants and the jacket, but cheaper than elsewhere.

KBecks
11-12-2008, 12:40 PM
something w/a jacket

MamaMolly
11-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Macy's usually has a nice selection of business suits. Or you could try Fashion Bug. The quality there isn't the best, but you could get something that looked nice enough for under $100. I agree a pant suit or skirt suit would be appropriate. Wear heels and hose, too.

One of the best bits of advice I ever got about interviews is to make sure your hair looks really, really tidy. Even if it is normally a funky shag, for the interview go tidy, prim and proper. The thought was if you can't handle your hair, how could you handle the job.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you (pun intended!) :)

bubbaray
11-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Is this place rather conservative in dress? I don't work in statistics, but that would be my guess -- conservative as in banking, law, etc..

Personally, I never wear pant suits to interviews. I always wear a knee-length navy blue or black skirt and jacket. Solid color shirt, usually white, sometimes light blue. Short nails with clear/very light polish. Stud earrings. A watch. Nylons (yes, I know they are old school, but I can't wear naked legs to an interview). Black pumps, with about a 2" heel. Black Coach leather purse -- not too big, not too small (unless they ask for writing samples, in which case I bring a leather briefcase).

Do you have some way to get an "in" on the dress code there? What I would wear to a law interview would be completely wrong for a "hip" IT firm, KWIM?

KBecks
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
use dept store sales and coupons

boolady
11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I think a pantsuit would be fine, honestly, as long as it's a classic, simple style. For an interview, I would probably wear black...I just prefer it to navy.
There are lots of options on the ATLoft website, as others suggested, that look good, and the jackets match up to pants or skirts. Good luck.

octmom
11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
You're not terribly far from the Leesburg outlets, right? (I know it's not in your backyard, but it is not hours away.) I'd go to the Ann Taylor Factory Store there and look for a black or grey pants suit. Every time I go to an ATFS, I find something. I think there is an ATFS at Potomac Mills, too.

Good luck!

mommylamb
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I would definitely get a suite, but I have to wear suits most days so they get a lot of use. Personally, I tend to do the skirt suit thing, at least for the first interview, though I prefer some sort of under shell over the button down shirt (that's more to do with my body shape... button downs are not my thing). I like both the regular Ann Taylor and AT Loft because they seem to fit my body type well.

hillview
11-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Dark suit -- black/brown/blue. Pants or skirt.
/hillary

Momof3Labs
11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I've seen reasonably priced suits at Filene's Basement, in addition to Macy's. I think that separates - jacket and skirt or pants - are okay as long as the jacket isn't too casual or busy. A darker grey can be a nice compromise, paired with a blouse or shell (I personally don't hesitate to introduce a little color in the blouse, but probably not a print unless subtle).

brittone2
11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
There are lots of friends and family sales right now...that might help w/ cost.

20% off Bloomingdales F&F
Nordies was just having their semi annual sale (not sure if it is still going on)
etc.

almostmom
11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I second TJ Maxx. Though I don't own a suit, I always see nice ones there at great prices.

brittone2
11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
nak-
I think the gap F&F sale is also for Banana Repub this year.

Talbots
ATL
J Crew?

tarahsolazy
11-12-2008, 03:16 PM
So where should I buy a suit? I want something nice, but I'm not sure Brooks Brothers is in the budget right now KWIM?

Talbots, or Anne Taylor Loft.

I agree on the pants suit idea, Beth.

trales
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I found a plaid wool (small plaid, almost a check) skirt at T.J.Maxx and then paired it with a black blazer from ATL, a white blouse, tights and pumps. It looked like a suit, since texture and color is in, but it was much cheaper since it was seperates. This way they can be worn later.

My mom just got a great deal at the Anne Klien outlet.

You could get something trendy and cheap at H&M, but I would not expect it to hold up longer than 6 months of good use.

Good luck, sending vibes your way.

saschalicks
11-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I was told by recruiters always wear a suit regardless of their work environment. Wear a classic color: grey, black or navy. Under the suit wear something very plain. No stand out colors like red or pink.

I had great luck at Marshall's, Steinmart, TJ Maxx for suits. Another good place is NY&Co.

Ceepa
11-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Suit in a conservative color. Comfortable pumps. Minimal jewelry. Neat hair.

mommyp
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree with a good pantsuit. I got a nicely fitting grey one at the BR outlet, but have see ones I like at AT or ATL as well.

ThreeofUs
11-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Professional suit, slacks or skirt, with crisp top. Conservative jewelry and bag, with a briefcase or a briefbook.

The rule of thumb is to always appear better dressed (by a small amount) than the interviewer.

Best of luck to you! :)

irie i
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Hmm...every phone interview I have had I take from home...wearing whatever I happen to be wearing. :) Am I missing something?

As far as what to wear once you go in for a face-to-face interview I feel it is important to go in and see how others are dressed. Sometimes the expectation is to be very formal...sometimes even though it is business attire it is a little more trendy.

kransden
11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
One of my favorite interview books is "Knock Em Dead" http://tinyurl.com/5ssspy has clothing advice. I always go for classic navy suits and understated gold jewelry, but that is who I am. It is what makes me feel the most comfortable.

egoldber
11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Hmm...every phone interview I have had I take from home...wearing whatever I happen to be wearing. Am I missing something?

LOL! My concern is they will say "Great, can you come in tomorrow for an interiew?" and I will have NOTHING to wear. I haven't worked outside the home in 7 years and my old work clothes either a) no longer fit or b) are hopelessly out of date.

DH practically dragged me to the mall today and we went on a suit blitzkrieg. I started out by trying on a fabulous (but $600) suit at Brooks Brothers, finally finding a nice charcoal gray pinstripe Anne Klein suit for a song at Macy's. It has both a skirt and pants, so I can decide how I want to go. :)

I'm not sure how I would check out the place in advance. It's not exactly the kind of place where I could go and wander in and see it. I don't know anyone who works there. They do a lot of work with the FDA and other federal agencies, so I am assuming that erring on the side of conservatism isn't likely to be a bad thing. It's still a pretty conservative area here, so I am not thinking that trendy is a good way to go.

amldaley
11-12-2008, 08:32 PM
The rule of thumb is dress one notch above what you would wear for the job.

octmom
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Sounds like you made a great choice! Good luck on the phone interview!

squimp
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I am in a really casual field, and I'd still wear a suit-type thing for an interview. It never hurts to be a little overdressed.

Oh, and good luck!!

vludmilla
11-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Definitely wear a conservative suit. I've been on many interview committees and the candidates who wear suits always stand out from the more casual business attire folks.

ThreeofUs
11-12-2008, 09:29 PM
nice charcoal gray pinstripe Anne Klein suit for a song at Macy's. It has both a skirt and pants, so I can decide how I want to go. :)

Excellent! Sounds like a perfect suit. I love AK clothes.

Now, about what you're wearing for that phone interview... :hysterical:

Can't wait to hear.

bubbaray
11-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a great suit with lots of options that will allow you to wear it many ways!

Best of luck on the interview!! :)

pb&j
11-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Excellent! Sounds like a perfect suit. I love AK clothes.

Now, about what you're wearing for that phone interview... :hysterical:

Can't wait to hear.

Call me crazy, but I've had a couple of phone interviews, and I always dress up for them! Even if the interviewers can't see me, I *feel* more professional and confident when I've dressed the part. The upside is that you can wear the same thing to the phone interview and the in-person interview and no one will be the wiser. ;)

GL with the interview!!

MamaKath
11-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Best of luck!!! I would vote for a nice suit with a white or light colored blouse. Beyond that I am not the girl to ask, lol. I hope it goes well, you would be an asset to a staff (from "knowing" you around here and what an asset you are ;))!!!

irie i
11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
LOL! My concern is they will say "Great, can you come in tomorrow for an interiew?" and I will have NOTHING to wear. I haven't worked outside the home in 7 years and my old work clothes either a) no longer fit or b) are hopelessly out of date.

DH practically dragged me to the mall today and we went on a suit blitzkrieg. I started out by trying on a fabulous (but $600) suit at Brooks Brothers, finally finding a nice charcoal gray pinstripe Anne Klein suit for a song at Macy's. It has both a skirt and pants, so I can decide how I want to go. :)

I'm not sure how I would check out the place in advance. It's not exactly the kind of place where I could go and wander in and see it. I don't know anyone who works there. They do a lot of work with the FDA and other federal agencies, so I am assuming that erring on the side of conservatism isn't likely to be a bad thing. It's still a pretty conservative area here, so I am not thinking that trendy is a good way to go.

Sounds like a great choice! :)

jerigirl
11-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Call me crazy, but I've had a couple of phone interviews, and I always dress up for them! Even if the interviewers can't see me, I *feel* more professional and confident when I've dressed the part. The upside is that you can wear the same thing to the phone interview and the in-person interview and no one will be the wiser. ;)

GL with the interview!!

I have heard that you should do that. How you feel conveys in your voice. So if you feel confident and professional it will come across.