PDA

View Full Version : Egg/dairy/nut free YUMMY pumpkin muffins!

LarsMal
11-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Don't know how many allergy mamas check the food forums, so I'll post this here.

DS has been asking for pumpkin cake for the past couple weeks. I finally looked up some recipes last night to make pumpkin muffins. I tweaked the following recipe so it was safe for him- and they are SO yummy! They were good warm last night, but tasted even better this morning.

I'm putting the regular recipe down (b/c they are good whether "real" or with the substitutions) and I put my substitutions in to make them allergy-friendly.

PUMPKIN MUFFINS
Makes 1 dozen

INGREDIENTS:
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup canned solid-pack 100% pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I substituted with 1/3 cup of applesauce)
2 large eggs (substitute: 1 egg equals: 1 1/2 Tablespoons veg oil, 1 1/2 Tablespoons water, 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin-pie spice (a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice)
1.25 cups plus 1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350F. Line 12 muffin cups.

Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl.

Whisk together pumpkin, oil (applesauce), eggs (substitute), pumpkin-pie spice, 1.25 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.

Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in another bowl.

Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about 3/4 full), then spinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake until puffed and golden brown and a wodden pick or skewer inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes for regular recipe (about 20-25 for egg free).

Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature.

bubbaray
11-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Can I kiss you? Seriously. I even have a can of pumpkin in the pantry....

:)

infocrazy
11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I make Pumpkin cupcakes with a cake mix and a can of pumpkin. That's it. Of course you will have to review the ingredients for specific allergens but they are AWESOME! 20 minutes @ 350. Yum.

bubbaray
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Cake mixes don't work well with egg substitutes, unfortunately. I've tried a few and they were all busts.

DrSally
11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Julie. I tried your egg substitute you posted with the choc chip cake receipe to make Halloween cookies from a box with DS. It worked great for cookies.

LarsMal
11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks, Julie. I tried your egg substitute you posted with the choc chip cake receipe to make Halloween cookies from a box with DS. It worked great for cookies.

Oh good!

I'm on dessert duty for Thanksgiving this year. I'm going to sneak as many safe recipes in as I can. I've pulled a few over on my mom and dad already so I think it'll be fine! I have a safe pumpkin pie recipe coming my way. I'll give it a test run and then post it if it's good!

KBecks
11-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh, this is too late for me, Alek has class snack tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the recipe though!

lablover
11-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I have a safe pumpkin pie recipe coming my way. I'll give it a test run and then post it if it's good!

Ooh..please do! Thanks for the muffin recipe.

infocrazy
11-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Actually, the cake mix and the pumpkin are the only 2 ingredients. You don't add the oil or eggs that are on the box or anything else. It is thicker than normal batter and you sort of have to smooth the top since it doesn't just settle. I don't know if there are powdered eggs or something related in cake mixes though.

LarsMal
11-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Actually, the cake mix and the pumpkin are the only 2 ingredients. You don't add the oil or eggs that are on the box or anything else. It is thicker than normal batter and you sort of have to smooth the top since it doesn't just settle. I don't know if there are powdered eggs or something related in cake mixes though.

Oh wow! How easy is *that*?!? Is it one can of pumpkin (15 ounce) plus the box of mix? 100% pumpkin or the pie filling kind?

DS's teacher is trying to come up with a muffin alternative since the ones they want to make for the Thanksgiving feast aren't safe for DS. That would be easier to suggest than mine! (and I wouldn't feel as guilty about them having to change everything for him, yet again!)

M&Mmom
11-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Thank you!! Thank you!! I just signed up to bring in safe cupcakes for the Thanksgiving party at DC's school. I decided I needed to bring something that DC's could eat so they wouldn't be totally left out. I was just going to make our usual birthday party type cupcakes but now I will try this for sure. I am so excited!!

JTsMom
11-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Sweet, thanks! I was meaning to look up a pumpkin recipe and hadn't gotten around to it yet. Yum!

infocrazy
11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh wow! How easy is *that*?!? Is it one can of pumpkin (15 ounce) plus the box of mix? 100% pumpkin or the pie filling kind?

DS's teacher is trying to come up with a muffin alternative since the ones they want to make for the Thanksgiving feast aren't safe for DS. That would be easier to suggest than mine! (and I wouldn't feel as guilty about them having to change everything for him, yet again!)

I LOVE pumpkin so I usually use the bigger can of pumpkin but only about 3/4 of the can (I use the rest for pancakes BTW)--I think you are supposed to use the 15 oz can. I do add some cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg but you don't have to. I don't know for sure but I believe that the pumpkin pie filling can includes eggs (since regular pumpkin pie does) but I really just typically get the plain pumpkin. I've tried the Spice Cake mix but I think Yellow Cake works best. DH wants me to try Chocolate but I am not really a chocolate cake fan...but maybe we'll try. Like a normal cake though, you do need to use a mixer to get air in the batter.

If we do frost them, we use cream cheese frosting---yum! That cinnamon sugar topping sounds pretty good too!

LarsMal
11-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I LOVE pumpkin so I usually use the bigger can of pumpkin but only about 3/4 of the can (I use the rest for pancakes BTW)--I think you are supposed to use the 15 oz can. I do add some cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg but you don't have to. I don't know for sure but I believe that the pumpkin pie filling can includes eggs (since regular pumpkin pie does) but I really just typically get the plain pumpkin. I've tried the Spice Cake mix but I think Yellow Cake works best. DH wants me to try Chocolate but I am not really a chocolate cake fan...but maybe we'll try. Like a normal cake though, you do need to use a mixer to get air in the batter.

If we do frost them, we use cream cheese frosting---yum! That cinnamon sugar topping sounds pretty good too!

I think I'm going to buy a box of the Cherrybrook Kitchen cake mix (egg/dairy/nut free mix) and give this a shot. I'm also up for trying to new recipes to share with DS!

LarsMal
11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Just wanted to add I got another thumbs up on the muffins! I gave a few to my friend yesterday to try on her allergy kiddos. She said the girls devoured them and she ate 2 herself (leaving nothing for her hubby!). I guess that's a good sign!