PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your kids' toys?

jerseygirl07067
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
My DDs are almost 5, and 3 1/2, so their needs are changing. What used to work isn't working anymore! We have those tilted bins that are on a wooden shelf, but they are not the right sizes for their things, plus, it's hard to see what's inside without dumping everything out.

I need to start using more vertical space to get things off the floor. So I'm thinking of a shelving system with lots of bins, or going with stackable drawers that are clear in the front, so you can see what's inside. I was also thinking of using an idea I saw on one of those home organization shows - which is to put a picture on the front of the drawer of what goes inside.

My home is fairly clutter free but the kids toys are a different story. I'd love to hear your ideas!

Marcy

Samantha 12/22/03
Julia 4/19/05
baby #3 EDD 6/1/09!! None of my friends IRL know yet! :)

mommabear
11-12-2008, 06:54 PM
We installed a closet organizer and got clear bins with lids. It works great. Ikea has colored bins w/lids $1 that you could write on. Best money we've spent. The tilted bins didn't work for us so I sold them.

brittone2
11-12-2008, 08:06 PM
posted in the Lounge, but we are fans of the Ikea Expedit system.

eta: Hey! You are expecting baby #3!!? Did I miss an announcement?

hillview
11-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Ikea Expedit

or the nilo table bins (less organized but work better then Ikea Expedit in playroom)
/hillary

bubbaray
11-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Ikea Trofast (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49819508) and rolling drawers under train table (http://www.sensoryedge.com/kitrtawitrdr.html).

jerseygirl07067
11-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I like the Ikea Trofast and Expedit ideas. I'm going to check out their bins too. :)

Marcy

Samantha 12/22/03
Julia 4/19/05
baby #3 ! EDD 6/1/09

magnolia
11-14-2008, 04:17 AM
Hi Marcy,

We solved the dumping of the bins problem by keeping the bin contents sorted with see-through zippered bags (www.KidsKlutterKatchers.com).

I just got a coupon code for them too ---
"Enter 3FREEWP at checkout to receive 3 free Kids Klutter Katchers bags with the purchase of 15 or more"

As for a vertical shelving system, I also recommend a trip to IKEA.

Congrats on the June baby!

hillview
11-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Wow think the right link is
http://kidsklutterkatchers.com/

DO they work well?
/hillary

magnolia
11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for fixing the link.

Yes, I think they work pretty well. We don't use them for anything sharp or heavy, but for toys with lots of little lightweight plastic pieces, they're perfect. Makes things easy to find and keeps things compact so we don't have to dedicate a whole bin to just one toy.

As for where to put the coupon code, there should be a field called something like "coupon code or referrer's email" when you checkout (guess you can't enter both, just one or other, but i don't care about the referrals anyhow, thanks though). You don't get immediate confirmation that it worked, but some of the other moms in my mom's group used it and got their freebies no prob.

KrystalS
11-14-2008, 12:44 PM
We solved the dumping of the bins problem by keeping the bin contents sorted with see-through zippered bags (www.KidsKlutterKatchers.com).

I just got a coupon code for them too ---
"Enter 3FREEWP at checkout to receive 3 free Kids Klutter Katchers bags with the purchase of 15 or more"

Thanks for posting! I've been trying to find a storage solution for all DDs little toys, we have my little ponies, pet shop, and getting playmobil for Christmas.
We have the strapping bins from Land of Nod. And a bookshelf from Target. We've had both for several years and they have held up great. I like these bins better than wood bins because they are easier for DD to carry around.

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2008, 12:58 PM
It looks like you could use mesh lingerie laundry bags in place of the Kids' Klutter bags if they are easier for you to come by.

Beth

ett
11-14-2008, 03:13 PM
It looks like you could use mesh lingerie laundry bags in place of the Kids' Klutter bags if they are easier for you to come by.

Beth

I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at their website. :)

KrystalS
11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I searched around for lingerie bags and it seems these bags are a good deal. If you get the intro deal and the 3 extra free bags they end up being $1.25 a piece. I couldn't find any lingerie bags for less than $2.50 and that was online, I'm sure they are more expensive in stores.

jerseygirl07067
11-15-2008, 03:16 AM
toys. I think I might check out how much the lingerie bags are at Bed Bath and Beyond too, and see which is cheaper. Great idea!

Marcy

Samantha 12/22/03
Julia 4/19/05
Baby #3! EDD 6/1/09

Twin Mom
11-15-2008, 11:07 AM
My dollar store sells the small mesh laundry bags for lingerie, etc. I think they come more than 1 in a pack too so that would be really cheap.

KBecks
11-15-2008, 03:55 PM
We just bought a puzzle rack that I really like:

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Storage-Case-Painted/dp/B00004R8M2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1226778927&sr=1-8

WatchingThemGrow
11-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Target has a nifty metal puzzle rack for $15 in store - on the top shelf at the end of one of the aisles - not on an endcap. That has helped a lot.

I got a PBK Cameron base and cubby set on floor sample clearance two months ago. We put it in the living room and it houses a good deal of stuff at the end of the couch. Love it.

In each DC's room, we got a bookcase to match their furniture and put those cloth bins in them. We also chose nightstands open at the bottom for whatever.

PBK.com had some great hang on the wall buckets in metal and canvas last year. I kept wanting them, then grabbed a couple of each. We only use one on the wall for hats right now, but I can see food, dishes, etc going in them near the kitchen soon.

Taking pictures of items really helped my K students in the past. I'm just too lazy to do it right now for my own kids. I feel like there is a great window of opportunity to start doing this with DD. She's a tiny bit interested in putting things back right now, which is really cool.

KBecks
11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Marcy,

I have been saving zipper pouches from sheets, etc, whatever we buy that comes in a zip pouch, I save.... I have quite a few that were free and now need to match them to items to store.

KrystalS
11-16-2008, 12:52 AM
My dollar store sells the small mesh laundry bags for lingerie, etc. I think they come more than 1 in a pack too so that would be really cheap.

Thanks! I didn't even think to check the dollar store.

KrystalS
11-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Dollar General has the lingerie bags for $1. I looked at Walmart too and they were $3 there! Thanks OP this is a great idea! I can't wait for Christmas to try them out with DDs new playmobil sets!