PDA

View Full Version : Help: What would you bring to a parent potluck?

blisstwins
11-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Sorry, I am sure this is the wrong forum, but I need an answer in the next hour or so. I did not think I could make it to my children's school's parent cocktail party tomorrow. It is a potluck in someone's home and I have to bring a vegetarian main for 10 people. I was thinking a strata, but I have never made one before. Does anyone have any go-to ideas or recipes for anything I can make easily? Thanks.

MamaKath
11-12-2008, 09:29 PM
I am just getting ready to type one up for school, lol! I used ham in mine hence it is in the recipe, but you can use just veggies to make it vegetarian (though obviously not vegan with the eggs, milk, and cheese). It is easy and was a HUGE hit at our recent Grandparents Day at school. It makes about 4 pie dishes or 2 9X13 pans full.

1 small canned ham (cut into small cubes)
1 bag frozen broccoli, thawed (use 2 if you are not putting in the ham; my mother in law uses spinach sometimes or seasonal veggies like zucchini grated in hers)
2 bags shredded cheddar
18 eggs
3 cups of baking mix (Bisquick or Jiffy)
2.5 cups of milk

Preheat oven to 350. In bowl mix veggies, ham and 1 bag of cheese. In a seperate bowl mix eggs, baking mix and milk with an egg beater until smooth and bubbly. Spoon veggie/cheese/ham mixture into the bottoms of greased baking dishes or pie plates. Pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese evenly. Bake at 350 for approximately 35-40 minutes (will start getting slightly golden, fork should come out clean). Enjoy!

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm currently on the lookout for the same thing. I stumbled across the Family Fun recipe section w/ potluck ideas. It might have something helpful:
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/specialfeature/potluck-recipes-sf/

we made our first strata this weekend out of the Joy of Cooking and put in yummy bell peppers (dif't colors), cheese and onions.

Beth

irie i
11-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Cheese enchiladas
Tortilla chips and pico de gallo
Hearty salad
Pasta - spaghetti, fettucini, arrabiata, baked stuffed pasta shells
Broccoli, rice and cheese casserole
Mac and Cheese
Potato salad
Sandwiches with Yves Good Deli veggie cold cuts
Veggie lettuce wraps

Fairy
11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Tomato & Mozzerella sandwiches with a bit of balsamic vinegrette brushed on the the loafs like a spread, a bit of basil (fresh or chopped or dried or whatever ya got).

MamaKath
11-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Oooh how about pasta...

1 lb pasta
3 cans broth
garlic (either fresh or jarred)
olive oil
cream cheese (1/2 a block package)
broccoli
peppers (yellow, orange, red)
mushrooms

Saute the garlic in a bit of oil at the bottom of a big pasta pot. Add the broth and let it boil. Add the pasta. Let it cook about 9 minutes. Add in the cream chees cubed. Stir until blended/melted. Add in the veggies and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until they are tender. Serve.

You could double this recipe. I made it the other day with a bag of the mixed frozen veggies (had broccoli, onions, peppers, and mushrooms) and a bag of broccoli. So filling, tasty and pretty easy also.

blisstwins
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Thank you, guys. This is all new territory for me. I used to be a decent cook, but lately all I make are kid things and things we have in the house. This is for adults and I feel intimidated and silly. I think I will try that strata recipe. Someone else is bringing pasta, but I may try that one myself!