PDA

View Full Version : Any one else's spouse play World of Warcraft?

bluestarfish18
11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
...And want to hurl the computer out the window?

This game has taken over our lives and it's driving me bonkers!

Any tips on how to get DH is realize how nerdy this game is?! (Apologies if anyone here plays) :banghead:

shawnandangel
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I imagine he's going at midnight to pick up the release of the expansion? :wink2:

Yeah. So is mine. We both play though and enjoy it as time spent doing something together. Especially now the baby is born and we aren't going out and doing things, it's something we can do together.

He plays a lot more than I do and yeah, sometimes I admit to dreaming about deleting all of his characters and blaming it on the dog.

And hurling the computer out the window.

elliput
11-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a gamer DH also. He plays Lord of the Rings Online mostly (has never gotten into WoW).

It is annoying, but since we each have a computer, I guess it works out. We now have a rule that he can not play until DD is in bed, and on weekends he does ask if he can play before heading off to his cave in the basement.

wencit
11-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Not WoW, but my husband plays Everquest II ("Evercrack"), which is the same sort of MMORPG. On more than one occasion, I've threatened to take a sledgehammer to his computer, his game playing was getting so out of control. The only concessions I've been able to get out of him are that he's only allowed to play when DS is sleeping, and he has to finish his household chores before he can get on.

Other than that, I feel your pain, but got nothing for ya. I can not tell you how much I despise his games. The time he spends playing them is probably one of the biggest sources of arguments in our marriage.

bonbon98
11-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Another WoW widow here...

DH is leaving in a couple of hours to go stand in line to get his pack...and he's taking the rest of the week off to play.

bethie_73
11-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha :hysterical:

Sorry, we used to play together, but now he plays alone. He is really good about carving out his own time to play though. No he is not going out at midnight, but I may swing by Best Buy for him :wink2:

irie i
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
No, thank goodness! My Sweetie barely checks his myspace page (he has one because he is in the entertainment business). My sister, however, has lost her hubby to WOW not because he is a playing nerd but because hes an animator for the company.

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Mine does not, but my next door neighbor was hooked. She ended up going to visit some gamers she'd played with for years and left her husband a month later. There was probably more going on, but I always wondered why she was up all night.

He came over and told us the story once she was gone. Very sad :(

fortato
11-13-2008, 12:09 AM
DH is getting his keys as I type this, so he can go get his copy of whatever the hell it is called.

He doesn't play nearly as much as he did before we had kids- I married a nerd, and I'm ok with that...now, I'm off to Facebook to play Word Twist.

MMMommy
11-13-2008, 12:27 AM
My DH is too busy playing Rock Band 2 all night.

WatchingThemGrow
11-13-2008, 07:45 AM
My DH is too busy playing Rock Band 2 all night.

Are you not playing with him? WE want this game badly, but we'd have to get a whole unit, probably a new tv, etc. We're going to see family at Christmas and we're trying to figure out where to put the babies in the house so we can play Rock Band SE after they are asleep.

MartiesMom2B
11-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Not my husband. But my cousin is a producer for a company that does role playing games. One night his fiance (now wife) came home and he had a headset on playing games and she looked at him and said "WTF" LOL. I told him at least she knows what she's marrying now.

BillK
11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I played the original Everquest for over 5 years - then moved to World of Warcraft for another 2-3 years (but not nearly as hardcore as I played Everquest). Still though - even trying to keep things "casual" with WoW - it still sucks the life out of you, your relationship and your family time. Glad I quit that addition.

When I need my videogame fix now - I fire up my Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii - play what I want for an hour or so every couple of evenings after my wife's in bed and get to bed early myself. The playing 'til 5am stuff is a thing of the past for me thankfully. :)

Both of those addictions were prior to kids for me - I can't imagine dealing with kids and trying to play a MMORPG now.

belovedgandp
11-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Yes, we've done them all around here - EQ, EQ 2, and WOW.

Varying levels on all of them for the past 7 years or so. I got very tired of seeing the back of his head. Before kids I was scheduling which nights he was taking me out around raids in EQ.

Right now he's not playing anything. The expansion made his consider it, but he'll wait until work and our house calm down in January. I don't mind as long as the kids are in bed and he's not up so late he's not functional.

fortato
11-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Anyone else not see their DH all day??

Michael took the day off and only took 2 breaks, one to eat lunch with Jack and I, and the other to run on the treadmill.....

Ugh.

bluestarfish18
11-13-2008, 08:17 PM

Michael took the day off and only took 2 breaks, one to eat lunch with Jack and I, and the other to run on the treadmill.....

Ugh.

He took breaks? Lucky. I forgot what James looks like.

Can you and I cry together at our DHs' "funerals"?

eliasmom
11-13-2008, 08:20 PM

Ugh.

This has me :hysterical: only because the partner at DH's firm who got him hooked on WoW (seriously, it must be like crack) took today and tomorrow off of work after going to get the new addition at midnight but SWORE he would be working from home. I have made enough fun of DH that he pre-ordered it from Amazon and went to work today.

Oh, and DH is getting DD hooked on it too. She gets on the headset thing and talks to his "friends." I figure it is super nerdy, but it is better than him hanging out at strip clubs or having an affair.

One last thing: WoW gamers tell each other they're getting "wife aggro" (i.e. aggravation from the wife) when we complain about the time they spend playing. DH made the mistake of telling me that, so now I jokingly ask him if I'm giving him aggro.

fortato
11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I just asked my husband if I was giving him "Wife Aggro" and he raised his eyebrows and asked me how I knew what that was! I told him that I get around.

ArizonaGirl
11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
That is actually one of the things that worries me most about my DH when our first DS is born. I am concerned that he won't/ doesn't want to realize how much of his time he actually spends on the darn thing and yes I do routinely want to throw his computer out the window.:31:

bethie_73
11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
DH bought it yesterday, but it has not been opened. FWIW, his IRL friends are asking where he is and when he can "come out to play" :ROTFLMAO:

I guess it doesn't bother me as much because

1. I used to play, 2. I know all the people he plays with IRL, and 3. He is REALLY good about playing not taking over with DS here. I would be upset if it took over, but he seems to strike a decent balance.

Ceepa
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Luckily DH's gaming is pretty tame by comparison to some folks are describing here: he plays some Madden Football here, Elder Scrolls there. He played a lot more before we had DC.

MMMommy
11-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Are you not playing with him? WE want this game badly, but we'd have to get a whole unit, probably a new tv, etc. We're going to see family at Christmas and we're trying to figure out where to put the babies in the house so we can play Rock Band SE after they are asleep.

I haven't been playing. I've have my face buried in my Nintendo DS playing New Super Mario Bros. My girls like to "sing" with Rock Band 2.

Nyfeara
11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
We both played Everquest, up until about 3 years ago. We originally started b/c RL friends were playing as well. We were mainly online together but we got pretty involved with it, then we both got laid up due to a car accident & we just never got back into it.

Like OP's, I can't imagine playing now with having DS. I miss some of the online friends we made. We had a "regular" group that we'd socialize with and scheduled times that we'd all be online to play & we did that for a couple years. We'd all talk about RL, kids, etc. I do miss chatting with them.

eliasmom
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I just asked my husband if I was giving him "Wife Aggro" and he raised his eyebrows and asked me how I knew what that was! I told him that I get around.

:D If I hear any more good terms, I'll pass them on so you can continue to keep him on his toes. He'll probably wonder if you're secretly playing in the rare moments he can pry his addict fingers away from the keyboard.

I tried really hard to keep my eyes from rolling back into my head last night while DH explained (ad nauseam) some new characters that are available now. Like I care.